“Used to be great...no more”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of O!O Tapas & Tinis - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
O!O Tapas & Tinis
Dining options: Waitstaff
Description: (352) 331-6620 Restaurant is upscale with excellent service, delicious food and great wine. It has been open a year or more and there is no excuse for you not listing it.
Gainesville
“Used to be great...no more”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2012

I have eaten at Tapas & Tinis on a number of occasions and it was always one of my favorite places. The local paper, I believe, published a story recently about the restaurant re-inventing itself because people had come to see it as a special occasion place and they wanted it to be more affordable for every day dining. I was eager to see the metamorphosis. The first thing that hit my eye was the prices on the menu. Those items that existed on the old menu as well as the new one were higher by $2 to $10. Indeed there were some less expensive items but nothing grabbed my attention. Most of the regular entree items seem to have gone up at least $2 and the "Chef's Creations" qualify even more as special occasion pricewise although not necessarily in quality. I had always loved the braised lamb shank at $16. It was more than enough for a meal and I scraped my plate clean because it was delicious. That item is now $26! When I asked the waitress what was going on she defended it saying "there are now two lamb shanks" in the dish. That would be much too much of a good thing for no purpose except the extra $10. One of my guests tried the Sushi and could finish neither roll saying they tasted more of vinegar than anything else. Another guest chose the bleu cheese steak flatbread. It was mostly crispy onions piled high on the bleu cheese, pieces of steak and the flatbread. First she removed 2/3 of the onions but even that did not make the dish to her liking. My other guest tried some and didn't care for it either. I came out luckier. I ordered the hanger steak at $17. It was presented medium rare as I ordered it....about 10 plus minutes after the other two guests received their entrees. It, too, was piled high with crispy onions (apparently the restaurant got a deal on them) and the steak itself was over a pile of mashed potatoes and sliced mixed vegetables. The steak was slightly chewy as the cut would suggest but was flavorful and the red wine demi-glaze contributed to the dish. My glass of Carmenere was a decent size at a decent price and complimented the dinner. We had coffee but no dessert. Service was very slow and even getting our credit card swiped took longer than it should. The restaurant offers live music which some must enjoy but others of us find only discourages conversation. We were seated as far from the music as possible but it was amplified to our table. The restaurant was full when we left but I doubt that will continue unless management brings a little reason to the menu such as serving a good serving of lamb shank at a reasonable price rather than too much for too much.

• Visited July 2012

Dorset
“Real potential but a dissapointment.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2012

This was a family night out with O!O's chosen based on other reviews. The venue was good with pleasant atmosphere, good lighting and a friendly welcome. We then had a selection of tapas and a drink to start our evening, again the wine list and menu were good and we were pleased with the way things were going.
When we selected a main dishes the Lamb Shank was not available, this was particularly bad luck as each of the group then chose a dish with seafood and they were all overcooked. This left the shrimp like rubber, and the mussels chewy spoiling the meal completely. It was a shame as so much of this place is right but to get the basics so wrong demonstrates a lack of supervision of what is being sent from the kitchen. It is of course possible that this was a "one night mistake" but not being in this town often when I am back I will try somewhere else.

• Visited April 2012
Gainesville, Florida
“Not just a neighborhood restaurant: great food and service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2012

My colleague and friend said he would treat me to dinner as both of our wives are out of town. When we walked in a duo was preparing for their gig. Surprising as it's a Tuesday evening but no complaints here as the duo proved to be excellent musicians and singers. Beatles songs, mostly.
We sat at the round bar, very nice seating. My house pinot grigio came in a full glass: that's a nice pour.. BUT I noticed that the white wine glass had shrunk in size compared to previous visits. So the price by the glass may have stayed the same but the quantity went down. A hidden price increase—NOT NICE!!
We both ordered tuna steaks rare/medium with mashed potatoes, and sautéed spinach. Excellent!!
It is very encouraging to experience a restaurant keep its goal in sight over the long haul: consistently high quality food served professionally, without fuss and pretense.
Word to the wise: discount days are advertised on lawn signs all over the entrance to the shopping plaza but ask before. Two fers and happy hours are added incentives to visit this gem.

• Visited April 2012
Tampa, Florida
“Awesome Food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2011

Food was good, service was as well. I will be back!

• Visited August 2011
Gainesville, Florida
“Great food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2011

O!O Tapas & Tinis is one of best in Gainesville.
My wife and I go often and enjoy its high quality food
Gourmet food at good prices

• Visited June 2011