“International Food Tour”

Civilization
Ranked #26 of 578 Restaurants in Gainesville
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Civilization is a cooperatively run restaurant in a historic building near downtown Gainesville Florida. Our menu emphasizes foods from all over the world. In 2015, 67% of entrees sold were Vegetarian and 14% were Vegan. In that same year we purchased $23,047 worth of produce and breads from local farmers and bakers, $28,548 worth of sustainable fish and local clams, and $26,435 of non-produce organic ingredients. We are committed to composting and recycling.
Omaha, Nebraska
“International Food Tour”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

The architecture is interesting, the location is pleasantly odd and the food is internationally delicious. I love fusion applications to classic international food. I liked the light fluffy croquettes -- not heavy at all and the spicing was enough to tickle the tastebuds. I ate an interesting application of Thai curried shrimp. ( I had forgotten that i was going to order portuguese fish cakes. )Someone else at the table ate gumbo and she liked it. The third guest filled up on Indian fusion food. We took food home and ordered blueberry cobbler a la mode. The cobbler was delightfully heavy on cinnamon, the ice cream popped with vanilla. We also shared a coconut tres leches cake. The coconut was toasty and the cake was flavorful. The decaf coffee was dark and flavorful. The house wine was a Malbec based red - a little too light for my palate. The winter could have been a little more attentive. 4/5 points and I will be back.

• Visited January 2013

Gainesville, Florida, United States
“Try it out, it's great!”
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Yummy, laid back, and quiet. Great food selection, healthy and natural foods, with a modern twist. Great for groups and families as well.

Visited September 2012
Orlando, Florida
“Good vegetarian food”
Reviewed December 12, 2012

Good spread of vegan friendly food. Potato fries too oily and greasy. Rest all is excellent..It was really busy during lunch so plan ahead. Odd hours on weekends.

Visited July 2012
South Carolina
“Urban Warehouse with Tasty Food”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Civilization is hidden among the random businesses on 2nd Street, but worth the minor confusion about the location. It's definitely an urban, industrial vibe inside the actual restaurant. I love the high ceilings, wood beams and hidden loft...an open and airy feel.

The servers tag teamed our table which was confusing at times, but they were appropriately apologetic and willing to help us with multiple requests.

The food was pretty inventive and darn tasty! I ordered the Spinach Pakora with cilantro chutney...strong curry and cilantro flavors which I loved. Fried chickpeas with chunks of onion and spinach is amazingly bold and tasty. My Utopian salad was okay, but the roasted vegetables were minimal and it was rather small. The Sunchoke soup was the special soup of the day, and I liked the creamy taste. It wasn't overpowering...filling with 2 bagel chip toasts on the side. I splurged on the Rum Coconut Tres Leches cake and absolutely LOVED it! Creamy, milky and not overly sweet with what appeared to be fresh whipped cream. Order dessert!

My coworkers liked their chicken and yellow rice burritos and Muhammarah pita. I tried the pita and wasn't overly impressed with it. The pita itself was delicious and fluffy, but I didn't like the crunchy walnuts in the pita mix). I grabbed a bite of my coworker's lemon tart and it was tart and deliciously sweet.

I'd go again anytime! Good flavors in an urban warehouse setting.

• Visited December 2012
gainesville
“didn't inform our party of only one check per table”
Reviewed October 1, 2012

A group of us went to eat. The food was fair. Nothing special. As some of us had to leave to return to work, we asked for a check, then we were told only one check per table. That mean we had to scramble for cash. Didn't leave any for a tip!

• Visited January 2012