“the portobello strognoff was better than mom's”
Review of Civilization

Civilization
Ranked #26 of 578 Restaurants in Gainesville
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Civilization is a cooperatively run restaurant in a historic building near downtown Gainesville Florida. Our menu emphasizes foods from all over the world. In 2015, 67% of entrees sold were Vegetarian and 14% were Vegan. In that same year we purchased $23,047 worth of produce and breads from local farmers and bakers, $28,548 worth of sustainable fish and local clams, and $26,435 of non-produce organic ingredients. We are committed to composting and recycling.
Gainesville, Florida
“the portobello strognoff was better than mom's”
Reviewed October 6, 2011

This is my favorite restaurant in Gainesville. I have been at least a dozen times over the last three months and every think I have tried has been delicious. They are a co-op so the cooks have an interest in the restaurant as do the servers and it shows in their attention and consistantly great food. The Utopian Salad which is on the lunch and dinner menu is delicious. They do Saturday brunch until 2pm.

• Visited October 2011

“Love this place!”
Reviewed September 1, 2011

This is my favorite restaurant in Gainsville. They have delicious and creative entrees with a great variety. The menu includes several vegetarian entrees, which is hard to come by.

• Visited August 2011
“disappointing”
Reviewed June 25, 2011

We have been twice. The first time we were disappointed but heard that it had improved. So, we tried again. The name and menu suggest something much better. We have had 4 dishes; Two were highly over spiced; One was exceptionally bland; One was pretty good. The service both times was very acceptable.

• Visited June 2011
2 Thank 1969Gator
Gainesville, Florida
“Seemed Pretty Good but Warm Beer”
Reviewed June 17, 2011

Ate here the other night. Surely this is not as bad a the rating. All three dishes we had were good. The service was friendly and prompt. I'll go back again. I'd advise them to use frosted glasses for the beer or turn up the beer fridge or both. My beer is just over room temperature served in a glass that probably just came out of the washer.

• Visited June 2011
1 Thank stone2
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Really worth a try.”
Reviewed June 8, 2011

Okay, I have no idea what this tipping thing is about, I have eaten at Civilization at least 10 times and have never experienced or seen anything like that. I have always received good service. It is a smaller restaurant, so when they are busy they aren't super speedy, but the staff has always been friendly and attentive. It has a cool atmosphere and the menu is really good, with more than enough options. I have gone there with several different people and ordered something different ever time and no one in my party has ever been dissapointed. It is resonably priced for creative, local, and delicious food.

• Visited May 2011