“Peaceful and Serene”

Butterfly Rainforest
Ranked #1 of 67 things to do in Gainesville
Reviewed February 8, 2013

We saw the most beautiful birds and butterflies in a tropical setting, even though it was cold outside.

1  Thank honeymooners34

Reviewed February 8, 2013

Gone are the days when Gville had little to offer your visiting relatives except a trip down the Devil's Millhopper. Today there are so many choices, from the Harn Museum, Florida Museum of Natural History, Center for Performing Arts, and a more vibrant downtown. But one of my favorites is the Butterfly Rainforest at the Natural History Museum. It's beautiful, tranquil and very interesting, with butterfly releases and much information about these winged creatures. Highly recommend, with a visit to the rest of the museum and a stop at the Harn.

1  Thank FrequentDiners352
Reviewed February 5, 2013

We have taken out of town guests here several times. It is attached to the Natural History Museum, but requires its own admission ticket. The cost isn't out of the ordinary, but its enough to limit the times I visit. The butterflies are beautiful, there are often employees giving talks and the flowers and foliage in the exhibit are gorgeous. Go on a nice day when being out in the enclosure will be comfortable.

1  Thank beachgypsyfl
Reviewed February 4, 2013

It's authentically open air so dependent on the Florida weather, and the day we went was chilly. On a nice hot day it would be fantastic. Great butterflies, and the CUTEST little quails creeping about. We spent about an hour inside, though you could definitely just walk through in 10 minutes. The other exhibits in the museum are worth the visit. The collection of "bugs" is amazing!

1  Thank Lina G
Reviewed January 29, 2013

I loved learning about butterflies....but thought the entry cost was a tad high. It would be hard to afford if I had a whole family wanting to go to it. As it was, I just paid for myself and a friend....and I had a discount coupon....so that allowed me to go where otherwise I would have thought twice.