“Forget the Jabberwocks- it's the Attorneys you have to watch.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hampton Inn & Suites Gainesville-Downtown

Hampton Inn & Suites Gainesville-Downtown
Ranked #6 of 45 Hotels in Gainesville
Palmetto, Florida
“Forget the Jabberwocks- it's the Attorneys you have to watch.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2012

But more about that later.
A thoroughly frabjous property is this Hampton. The staff never cease to amaze and welcome, even after dealing with masses of academically-tinged travelers. This was my third stay and the day crew turned a slight disappointment (olfactory hint of old mop water in the suite) into a Thing of Beauty. I mentioned it at the desk on my way out in the morning and when I returned to the room that afternoon, they had cleaned the carpets! Problem solved. Except for guilt that I'd added so much work to someone's morning.
I always end up in an end suite overlooking the Courthouse courtyard. It's nifty during Farmer's Market days and once you discover that the professional loiterers aren't going to harass you, it's interesting to people watch and listen. Slight bit of cavilling over the need to use the unattached parking garage but since it's the same one I used when working for Parole/Probation; a lot like Old Home Week. Or Old Convicted Felon Week. But it's easy to park in front of the hotel to load/unload and the desk staff will keep your bags safe so there's no strain. There's also a kind gentleman-of-all-trades who will gladly motor you between garage and hotel in the Hampton golf cart.

Now about those Attorneys. Since it's across the street from the Alachua County Courthouse and the Eighth Judicial Circuit is a busy venue, trial attorneys gravitate to the Hampton like codicils to Probate Court. For the bigger trials, they travel in packs with the paralegals and lesser associates in charge of metal carts sagging under tons of legal files. I know this because every evening at the Hampton the guests not burdened with J.D., LL.M., or LL.D. after their names have to swerve and hop and twist to avoid the file carts under full sail as they negotiate the limited space between the Manager's Reception liquor and the elevators. I swear I've seen sweet little old ladies with blue hair and eyeglasses hanging from bejeweled chains flattened against walls rather than be crushed by thirsty advocates. I've also experienced the thrill of a Senior Partner, cold beer in both hands, admonishing a younger colleague that he should let the lady into the elevator first. A brief experience since the anti-Atticus barrelled on through anyway.
But SP graciously held the door for me until I calmly stated I'd wait for the next elevator.
The doors closed and I turned to the sweet little old lady and said 'I just didn't like the cut of his briefs.'
Travel is so good for building characters.

In summary, ladies and gentlemen, I would recommend the Hampton Inn and Suites, Gainesville, unstintingly and without hesitation (but with proper reservations) as the best in the county and beyond. I would, however, urge extreme caution if you are anywhere near the Courthouse and see Men in Suits carrying what can only be a Penang Lawyer. This is irrefutable evidence that they are all pining for their respective Holmes.

(Good hotel, great location, marvelous staff, abstruse pun and references. And I'll sign an affidavit to that effect.)

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
4 Thank BluntedHedgehog
HISGNV, Front Office Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Gainesville-Downtown, responded to this review, January 16, 2012
Dear BluntedHedgehog,

Thanks for the comments regarding your impressions during your recent stay with us. We always enjoy having you with us and trust you will come back soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Manhattan, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2012

This is a beautiful Hampton Inn, upscale compared to the usual Hampton Inn properties. Right out the door are great restaurants, a renovated theatre, and the Bo Diddly stage at the town square. The saltwater pool is tiny, but it fits the space that the hotel was built on. Plus, it has a switch to make a "current" to swim against. Parking is only $5 in the adjacent (covered) lot. The only disadvantage to the area is that there are quite a few homeless people who hang out across the street. I've stayed at this hotel about four times, and never had any problems, but you should know that they'll be around. Other than that, choose this hotel if your're coming to Gainesville!

Room Tip: I've stayed in rooms all over the hotel, and never had a problem with noise or distraction. Pro...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Suzy B
Dear Suzy B,

WOW; it sounds like you enjoyed our fabulous location, neighboring restaurants, breakfast and happy hour; what an experience! Thank you for sharing your comments and we look forward to accommodating you in the near future.
Grayson, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2011

I stay here every time I am in Gainesville. The staff is great. The location is perfect. Walking distance to many restaurants and bars and across the street they have a local farmers market.

Room Tip: All rooms here are great.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank ugafan33
Dear ugafan33,

I'm glad you enjoyed our comfortable beds, clean guestrooms and location - what a package! We look forward to your return visit in the near furture, and thank you for taking the time to share your feedback.
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2011

I stayed here for the NCAA volleyball semi finals and it couldn't have been a better place. It was right in the middle of everything. The room and bathroom were both big and clean. We ended up going to the Natural History Museum to kill time which was only about 15 minutes away (I highly recommend the museum as well). The UF campus is pretty with old-fashioned brick buildings scattered along brick roads. The hotel is a 5 minute drive from the stadium and is near a bunch of restaurants, some of which you get discounts on for staying at the hotel Harry's was a good one.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Emily C
Dear Emily C,

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2011

I stayed at the Hampton Inn, GNV FL for the annual punk festival that happens on the last weekend of October. The stay was for 4 nights on the fourth floor of the hotel. If you're not going to the festival, steer clear of the hotels in Gainesville at this time of year.

Positives:

Comfortable beds.
Helpful reception staff.
Good wifi signal throughout entire hotel.
Helpful cleaning staff.
Reasonably priced tuck shop at reception.
Very good selection of complimentary good at breakfast.
Smart looking rooms.
Good lighting in rooms.
Good air con unit.

Negatives:

Main reception doors close at 11pm and key card failed to work one night. 24 hour reception service meant this was rectified within a few minutes. Minor inconvenience.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank scratchgrey
HISGNV, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Gainesville-Downtown, responded to this review, November 16, 2011
I'm so glad you enjoyed our hotel during your recent stay with us, as well as thank you for your feedback! We look forward to your return visit.
Washington, DC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2011

I've stayed here two times when visiting University of Florida for business purposes. It's in a nice location-near some upscale restaurants and cute frozen yogurt shop. The staff has always been friendly and helpful. Both times I've stayed my room has been spotless and quiet. I haven't had the breakfast since I'm usually in a hurry but the last visit I did grab a breakfast to go bag that they had available at the front desk. This seems like a newer Hampton property. The only downside is that the parking garage is not connected to the hotel. The garage is next door but it's free to access if you're a hotel guest. There are about four steps from the garage elevator area to the sidewalk leading to the hotel so if you have a lot of bags, pull up front of the hotel and unload before parking in the garage.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for posting your response regarding your recent stay with us! It's always good news to hear that you have not been disappointed at this location! We definitely take pride in making sure that your stay(s) are positively memorable. We look forward to your return visit.
Simi Valley, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2011

I arrived in Gainesville after a long flight, late at night. Ernestine greeted me at the front desk with a welcoming smile. The next morning I woke in terrible pain from a pinched sciatic nerve. I managed to crawl over to the phone and dialed the front desk. Deanna took the call, called 911 for me, sent James to my room to open the door (it had the extra bolt closed), and stayed on the phone with me until James was in the room. James talked to me and tried to distract me with conversation until the paramedics arrived. We I got back from the hospital that afternoon, still light headed and weak from all the meds and the pain, Roberta ordered food for me from a local resturant, sent me back to my room, and then delivered the food when it came. They, along with others one the staff, we so kind and helpful. They made a very scary situation much better. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. Susan

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Susan K
HISGNV, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Gainesville-Downtown, responded to this review, October 26, 2011
I'm so glad we could be there for you during your time of need. Very nice to hear that our staff displayed superior service from beginning to end. Thank you for posting your review and we look forward to your return visit in the future.