“Excellent Restaurant in Gainesville”
Review of Embers Wood Grill

Embers Wood Grill
Ranked #1 of 589 Restaurants in Gainesville
Cuisines: Seafood, Grill
Good for: Bar scene, Business meetings, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed January 28, 2014

We just enjoyed a great meal at Embers Wood Grill. Starting off, the reception was Efficient and friendly. The menu choices are very diverse and sophisticated: mainly steaks and seafood dishes. There is a wine bar area where one can enjoy a wide range of wines and beers while you wait for a table: I recommend making a reservation at this popular restaurant. Try the local craft-brewed IPA. The food and wine is superb and the portions generous. Our server Tom provided great advice on both the food and wine - the Zinfandel was outstanding. Highly recommended!

1  Thank dewsweeper10

Reviewed January 24, 2014

This restaurant is the most romantic place in Gainesville to eat. Twinkly lights everywhere... The best meat on a wood grill, & my absolute favorite thing is the fire roasted romaine hearts. If you let them know in advance, either on the internet or by phone, you get a free dessert on your birthday. I recommend the flourless chocolate cake & the port wine. Delicious. Fantastic, attentive service. It's pricey, but worth every penny if it's for a special occasion. Swoon.

1  Thank Wendy B
Reviewed December 31, 2013

Traveling through Gainesville again and we couldn't wait to go back to Embers. It didn't disappoint! The mushroom strudel appetizer was served on a bed of (my favorite) arugula, and both were scrumptious. He loved the Lobster crab cakes. I got a magnificent vegetable entree tower and he had an excellent filet. We found a red and a white glass of wine - with their help - that were perfect.

Reviewed December 17, 2013

Visiting out of town our friends suggested this restaurant.

We had to wait 45 minutes to be seated after our reservation time. Hostess seemed frantic and unorganized, though friendly enough. We were given our first round of drinks comp (announced to us by the waiter—not the manager as one would expect for such a wait). In an age of health consciousness, this place confuses me. I felt as though I were at that fancy dinner place with my grandparents 25 years ago. The food was rich, salty and fatty. All the food was rich, salty and fatty-- from the bread, sides and the assortment of entrees chosen by our table. The taste of the food was acceptable—though most could have used less of the course salt. Even the side of asparagus had a heavy béarnaise sauce. I had the domestic lamb and it was good. I ordered it rare and each chop was seared on one side only. I had to scrape off the glob of dressing on my grilled salad. The hickory smoke flavoring on the meats and dishes didn’t taste real. Not sure what that was about, but both my husband and I burped it all night.

I think as we move into the farm to table era of eating these kinds of places will still persist-- because it is what people want in food. We have been conditioned to embrace salt and fat, we equate that with taste.
The wait staff were OK. I would say for the prices I would have expected a little more attention (long waits, empty water glasses, plates lingering after meals were complete, had to ask for check).

The ambiance was like a large banquet room.

Don’t expect light food or a light check.

1  Thank warriorwomanFlorida
Reviewed December 12, 2013

I am picky and am not a fan of chain restaurants. Gainesville being a college town has little else to offer. However, Embers is certainly a hidden gem in this town. They serve USDA Prime Steaks, which is all I care to eat being from the Midwest. Their crab bisque has apparently won awards and rightfully so. I skipped on the steak and decided being in Florida I wanted to give the North Florida Atlantic Grouper a whirl. Not only was the portion just right, but it was also cooked to perfection. The slight bed of sauce, (not certain what it was), was delicious and complimented the delicate flavor of the grouper. The restaurant has a decent wine list that was reasonably priced. I was impressed with my dessert. I never had a creme brulee served flambe'd! The ambiance is that of what it is, an upscale steak house. The service was superb and the restaurant was packed. The acoustics are not so great. Only complaint was the music in the bar was at too high of volume initially and it was cold in there. I certainly will return on each visit to Gainesville!