“Rude, rude and ruder”
Review of Embers Wood Grill

Embers Wood Grill
Ranked #1 of 599 Restaurants in Gainesville
Cuisines: Seafood, Grill
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Large groups, Bar scene, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

Bourgeois elitist attitude from the teenage hostess to the unprofessional staff. Hostess was very rude and had the view that we were lucky to be there. ignored us for the first 15 mins. Were not responsive to our requests. Food was mediocre, not worth the price. Recommend for that price Manuel's vintage room downtown, or Amelia's.

4  Thank Drduane

Reviewed March 13, 2013

My son took me and his cousin for a special dinner on my birthday. What an experience. The atmosphere was terrific and the service was more than excellent. Both my niece and I had the Chilean Sea Bass and it was the best food I ever had. Sea Bass is my new favorite thing. We never felt rushed, although the restaurant was full. I will definitely return and bring friends.

Reviewed March 8, 2013

The Embers Wood Grill is a real GEM! My husband and I both had the 6oz fillet medium rare, done to perfection. He had the cracked pepper on his and I had the blue cheese, and we both know ours was the best The lobster mashed potatoes were buttery and delicious; the wood grilled onion was perfect; and the mac & cheese creamy and good. We were full, but dessert sounded SO good we couldn't resist. We travel quite a bit and are steak eaters, and this is undeniably one of the best steak meals we've had in a restaurant. Justin was the perfect waiter which made our dinner even more enjoyable. The Embers was crowded for a week night, so I would recommend reservations. My husband's comment was, "I cried when I ate my last bite." We are only in Gainesville for a few days, but we are already talking about a return visit.

Reviewed March 5, 2013

Gainesville has many good restaurants, but Embers is clearly a cut above and will be a return destination for us. We celebrated our 24th anniversary here last night and it was clearly the best meal either of us have ever had out in the Gainesville area.

The menu had an array of excellent options and it was hard to choose. Each entree includes two side dishes of your choice and the options are different and creative. My husband had the filet mignon with lobster mashed potatoes (real chunks of lobster, succulent and buttery!) and a grilled Vidalia onion. His beef was incredibly tender and flavorful and those mashed potatoes couldn't have been any better. I had the wood grilled Chilean sea bass which was done to perfection, moist and flaky inside, with a light crust and that wonderful smokey flavor. My sides were roasted tomatoes with bleu cheese that melted in and a balsamic drizzle, plus perfectly prepared asparagus with bernaise sauce. We traded bites of everything and there was not a single dish we would not be happy to have again. However, there were so many good items on the menu, I'm anxious to try something different next time.

The wine list was excellent, although very pricey. We also had the "champagne and dessert" option, selecting tiramisu as our shared dessert. It was superb, with a distinct Kahlua flavor, light, moist, and delicious. Service was also very good. From the outside Embers looks nice enough, but nothing special. Step inside and the atmosphere is lovely; soft, quiet, nicely appointed, comfortable.

As I said before, we'll be back!

Reviewed February 16, 2013

We went to Embers for our anniversary. From the front it does not look like much but inside it is nicely appointed and their patio seating is beautiful. I had the short ribs and my husband the porterhouse. There was nothing short about the ribs. It looked like we were dining at the Flintstones house. They were fall off the bone tender and extremely tasty. The porterhouse was enormous, tender and done to perfection. The sides were delicious. They have several single malt scotches and we had a wonderful chocolate torte and port for dessert. A definite place to dine for special occasions.