New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Residence Inn Gainesville I-75

Residence Inn Gainesville I-75
Ranked #13 of 44 Hotels in Gainesville
Miami, FL
“Nice Hotel, Great for an Extended Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2011

I’ve been staying at the Residence Inn for over a month now, and I think it’s a nice hotel for a weekend or extended stay. I usually don’t give a detailed review of a hotel like this, but since I’ve been here for so long, I figure I might as well give everyone all the info…

Room:
Rooms are large as with any Residence Inn, these are fairly new so the décor is nice (I’m actually staying in the smaller of the two types of rooms). The room has a full kitchen (sink, fridge w/icemaker, microwave, & dishwasher) and hard wired and wifi internet (the wifi seems a little spotty at times, but overall it’s ok). The bed is comfy and the linens and pillows are fine. The only two small complaints about my room, when I first checked in I noticed my room had a slightly musty smell. I just bought an air freshener and all is well. Also, the shower drains a little slow…not a huge deal though. My room is quiet, except for when there are a lot of kids staying and running up and down the halls, but not the hotel’s fault who rents their rooms.

Food:
They offer a breakfast 7 days a week and an evening social (light dinner) 4 days a week. This is the biggest perk for this hotel. The breakfast buffet is large with both hot and cold items, and you can make your own waffles. The evening social is a light meal, but plenty of food for a dinner, and they offer complementary beer and wine as well. The lady who makes the food for the evening social takes a lot of pride in offering good food, and while everything may not be everyone’s taste, it is good. They also offer some nice touches for their guests: once a month they offer little perks for the guests on different evenings a BBQ rib night (which is excellent), 10 minute massages, trivia night, and the complementary beer they offer is from a local brewery.

Once again, all of the food is decent, some better than others, but all I have to say is…it’s FREE…if you don’t care for the food, get groceries and cook in your room, or visit one of the many restaurants on Archer Road.

Location:
Very convenient location…right next to I75 and on Archer, where there is plenty of shopping and restaurant options. Just a few minutes drive from UF.

Property:
Pool area is nice and clean and quite large with plenty of lounge chairs and tables if you like to eat outside. It also has a nice grill that the guests are welcome to use. Lobby is nice, and the business center is adequate with two computers and a printer that you can use for no extra charge. The gym isn’t the best…a couple of treadmills, an elliptical and a few free weights. The one time I went it seemed clean. If I was just here for a weekend I would suck it up and just use the elliptical, but since I’m here for 2 months I joined a local gym. The laundry room is clean and the machines are all in good condition $1 each to wash and dry. The hallways and common areas can get a little dirty sometimes when the hotel is full and there are a lot of kids and pets staying and tracking in dirt. They might try to clean the floors in the main hallways a little more often when the hotel is full, but this is a minor point…it’s not like I’m walking around the hotel barefoot anyway.

Staff:
Front desk staff are young, probably UF students or recent graduates. They are all polite and helpful. That’s about all can say about them. Housekeeping is good for the most part, some are better than others, occasionally they forget to restock my toilet paper or something like that, but overall they keep the room clean, and frankly the little things you wouldn’t notice unless you were staying for several weeks.

Overall, good hotel, decent prices, and I would definitely stay here again and would recommend this hotel to anyone passing through Gainesville.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars
4 Thank divegirl26

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Kansas City, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2011

I really loved my 1 bedroom suite. For the most part very clean and the bed was comfortable. Housekeeping even washed the dishes I'd left in the sink, which was a little embarrassing as I intended to do it, but just ran out of time. The couch in the living area really needs replaced and it's sort of lost it's cushion.

Breakfast was decent...typical fare.

The thing that keeps this hotel from getting 5 stars from me was my trip to the fitness center. It was FILTHY. I'm not sure it had ever had a good dusting and I know the equipment hadn't had a good wipe-down in a loonnngggg time. Plus, there were 3 treadmills and NONE of them worked! It was entirely too hot to be running outside when I was there, so I had to go without a good run for my whole trip, which was pretty disappointing.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars
Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2011

I stayed recently 3 nights. I found the front desk staff lacking in professionalism and experience. I had asked for non-down bedding which they led me to believe was done. It was not and I awoke with puffy eyes and congested, I asked for a quiet room after reading the reviews. My room was far from the entrance however 2 sides face Interstate 75 and it is very noisy, day or night. As the reviews mentioned the refrigerator is very noisy and the a.c. does blow on you all night, so I closed the vent. The furniture is low quality and uncomfortable. There is no lock box in the room. The breakfast was quite unappetizing. The area is congested (poor design) with a line of people to access bland scrambled eggs and greasy sausages (which ran out and not replaced). The bananas were bruised and the coffee was o.k. The elevator and stairwells were not clean, both had some trash in them and not recently cleaned.
I have stayed at Residence Inns by Marriott before and this was considerably below standard. I would truly like to write something positive but I really cannot.

Room Tip: Request room away from I-75
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
4 Thank kriskossmann
miami
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2011

I have stayed in the 2 bedroom suite many times and Djess is absolutely correct about the a/c vents. I think this is the best lodging in Gainesville but be prepared to feel the a/c blowing on you at night.

Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Lincoln City, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2011

This is a wonderful hotel, with a great staff and large, kitchenette rooms and a super free breakfast and excellent snacks with free drinks in the evening. But you'd better stay on the side of the hotel away from the freeway, because on that side you will not be able to sleep. On the freeway side, there is no escaping the highway noise and if you are at a light sleeper, you will not sleep,,,,,,unless you turn on the a.c. full blast and drown out the highway sounds. But there is another problem, a design flaw with all Residence Inn Hotels: if you are in a studio (and perhaps a one or two-bedroom suite--I do not know about these) the a.c. vent blows right onto your bed. You are likely to get sick. It is impossible to adjust the vent so that it does not blow on you. So you have to choose between (a) being hot without any a.c., awake all night, but staying well or (b) sleeping well (perhaps) in the constant din of the ac., but possible waking up with a severe head cold.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
1 Thank djess55555
West Palm Beach
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2011

We were on a road trip from West Palm to Northern Michigan. Got a late start, so Gainesville was a prefect stop for our first night. The room was nicely decorated and roomy. The layout is excellent. The full size kitchen is a plus. We were able to empty our cooler and re-freeze ice packs. Not far from I-75.
There is shopping near by. A large Target store, etc.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Huntsville, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2011

This new Residence Inn far exceeds the old one near downtown.Service is excellent, great breakfast-roomy suites at affordable rates. Adjacent to Butler Mall with a plethora of good restaurants surrounding the property.

Room Tip: prefer upstairs rooms
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business