“Excellent food”
Review of 101 Downtown - CLOSED

101 Downtown
Cuisines: International, Fusion, Wine Bar
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Our menu changes frequently to ensure we use the freshest ingredients and you get to experience a wide range of delicious food!Please visit our website to view our up-to-date menu items.
Reviewed March 21, 2013

We appreciated the small plates, and everything we tried was fine. I would have appreciated not having the TV and music blaring.

Reviewed March 1, 2013

I went here with a client for dinner this week. Food was pretty good, and service was great. The restaurant seemed a little worn. Wall/booth coverings were sagging, prices were high for what we got and the bathroom had no hand towels, drier or any other way to dry your hands. Whatever they used to have had been torn out of the wall. How do employees wash before they handle my food?

Reviewed January 15, 2013

Eaten there a number of times, one of my favorites in Gainesville. Very consistent. Good food and service!

Reviewed December 31, 2012

I've walked by here dozens of times but never thought of going in because there's really no sign outside, just 101 etched in the glass door (but there is upscale beachy furniture for sidewalk dining). Inside is a very large room, done in various shades of grey, with a modern, renovated warehouse feel to it. It was very quiet (few diners) the night we went but I'm wondering if all the hard surfaces might make it noisey on a crowded night. The banquettes lining the walls, with their very high backs, serve as room dividers and sound absorbers.
Our waitress, just 3 days on the job, was charming, cheerful and eager to please. The manager made a point of visiting every table. The menu is varied with most items having an unusual blend of flavors and grouping meals by size really opens up possibilities. You can share small items, split a large and a medium; they're very accomodating. I had the pan seared tuna, which was wonderful. My partner tried the steak which was tender and flavorful; not the best he's ever had but still quite good. The wine menu is also good, with a Francis Ford Coppolla being one of the half price specials of the night. Unfortunately the portions were large enough that we had no room for dessert.
I will definitely come back here. There are so few "better" restaurants in Gainesville, I'm happy to put this on my list.

1  Thank chicksfly000
Reviewed November 13, 2012

In all fairness, we had hoped to eat at Dragonfly next door, but they had a 90 minute wait. Someone had recommended 101 so we tried it. The place had a cool vibe, but the staff seemed unprepared. We asked at the desk what type of restaurant it was and they asked each other, but couldn't seem to describe it. We asked the waitress questions about items on the menu and she didn't seemed to know the answers. I ordered a drink that clearly wasn't a martini and she kept referring to it as a martini. Really no big deal, but added all together and the food was good, but not great. Don't think we will return, too many other restaurants to try.

1  Thank cathy2921