“Pleasant Surprise. Don't miss the American Lion Fossil”

Florida Museum of Natural History
Ranked #2 of 70 things to do in Gainesville
More attraction details
Owner description: Native American and natural history exhibits in this museum at the University of Florida.
Reviewed April 2, 2014

Amazed. I could not believe the expansive content housed in this museum. From the exterior, one would never guess all the treasures held within. I had traveled to Gainesville to see the REAL skull of an American Lion found at Ichetucknee Springs State Park. Who knew that North America had lions??!! I ended up spending all afternoon admiring the numerous skeletons of the MASSIVE ancient creatures that used to roam Florida. One of the docents told me that about 90% of the skeletons were real (although composites of several creatures) and were literally found within a 150-mile radius of Gainesville. Exhibits included: fossils, botany, Native American cultures, Butterflies, plus much more. No admission, but donations accepted. An additional Butterfly exhibit was available for a fee. I highly recommend a visit to this outstanding museum.

Reviewed April 2, 2014

I took my kids to this museum to see the butterflies, and the great interactive exhibits. They had a wonderful time, and could have spent more than the 5 hours we were there. The permanent exhibits were interesting and educational- but fun. We especially enjoyed walking through the different habitats, and the Indian houses. The butterfly house was amazing, and everyone was very friendly and helpful. We ate lunch at the Camille Court café in the art museum next door, but could have easily brought a lunch and eaten at one of the picnic tables outside. Even if you decide not to pay for any of the special exhibits, you could easily spend a day here. We will definitely be back.
However, be careful where you park. Gainesville is a college town, and this museum is part of the University. I had just had my car repainted after an accident so when I pulled into the main parking lot, I parked farther out from the museum where there were not many cars (I was trying to avoid any dings or scratches). When we came out, I had been ticketed ($30.00) for parking in a student only parking lot. Only then did I see the signs directing me to museum parking- which is a much smaller lot. Also make sure you request the Florida resident rate- if that applies to you. When the girl at the ticket counter asked for my zip code I assumed that would discount my tickets, but later I realized I had paid full price.

Reviewed March 28, 2014

A very interesting place to visit for all ages -learn about the history of florida in a fun, interactive, way. Super friendly staff-awesome gift shop,

Reviewed March 15, 2014

I love this museum and have been visiting since I was a child! One of the best aspects is that it is carefully planned and very informative, but not too overwhelming as I often feel in the museums in Washington DC. I always learn something new and the University is top notch, so there are lectures and exhibits evolving.

Reviewed March 8, 2014

I have been in here a couple of times. I thought it was nice and informative. My children have also enjoyed it. It is air conditioned and free.