“Nice place to spend afternoon”

Florida Museum of Natural History
Ranked #2 of 65 things to do in Gainesville
More attraction details
Owner description: Native American and natural history exhibits in this museum at the University of Florida.
Sanford, Florida, United States
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Nice place to spend afternoon”
Reviewed August 20, 2013

I went with my wife to the museum and found it to be very interesting. They had a butterfly exhibit which was interesting. I have learned more about butterflies than I ever thought I would. They also had mammoth skeletons on display. I very much enjoyed learning about native Florida Indians. I was not aware of the relationship between indians and run-away black slaves.
I will definitely go back.

• Turkish first
Deerfield Beach, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“A little bit small”
Reviewed August 18, 2013

There were some interesting exhibits, and the butterfly garden was lovely, but it was quite small. No real chance to get lost in it. Glad we went so we could see what they had, but not something we would do again...

1 Thank Sarah L
Miami, Florida
72 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 85 helpful votes
“Bored in town? Head to the Museum of Natural History!”
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Very interesting and fascinating museum. There aren't many places in the world that have a mammoth and mastadon skeletons side-by-side to compare, as well as a full megalodon jaw set, a 'walk-through-time' animal fossil exhibit, and other really cool features! It's completely free and donation-only, so I recommend throwing a few dollars in the donation bin if you really enjoyed it, because odds are, you will!

Visited September 2012
Florida
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Worth A Visit”
Reviewed August 9, 2013

Museum exhibits were informative and varied. My son enjoyed the fossils and Indian village. Caters to everyone and is beautifully and thoughtfully laid out. We spent over two hours there. Also, at the entrance of the exhibits, there are students with articles of historical / current relevance meant to educate/ inform. Take a trip.

11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“The whole day and relaxing!”
Reviewed August 7, 2013 via mobile

My kids loved spending the day at this museum and I was able to relax and enjoy all the exhibits. Each section had lots of "touch and pull" stuff that they can understand and learn. This museum is bigger than it seems as it has a great explanation of all the world ages and animal spicies. This year we did not visit the butterfly exhibit but we could have easily spent 5+ hours here. Take your lunch or eat at their restaurant and sit and enjoy the kids free play area for hours! This area is full of puzzles and many fun things for kids under 10 years old.