“Wow, this museum has grown up!”

Florida Museum of Natural History
Ranked #2 of 67 things to do in Gainesville
More attraction details
Owner description: Native American and natural history exhibits in this museum at the University of Florida.
Reviewed May 30, 2013

I was last here over 10 years ago, right when the museum was starting its remodel. Wow, has it grown up! Awesome exhibits that are well grouped and easy to access. I was lucky enough to visit during the "springs" exhibit and it was informative (and alarming) at the then-vs-now photos of the springs, particularly some of the ones that we had previously seen in person back when they were in a more pristine state.

This museum does not disappoint, it's exactly the level of quality you'd expect from a major university. Oh, and did I mention that it's free?

There are newer reviews for Florida Museum of Natural History

Reviewed May 3, 2013

So much hand on stuff here. Not too huge but absolutely worth a half day visit. Our teens liked it too. I liked it better than what we have seen in NY and DC. There were so many more hands on things for our 5old - really for all of us. Pay for the butterflies too.
I think the rest was free.

Reviewed April 26, 2013

We spent hours in this museum and barely grazed the surface. We did walk around the whole place, but there is a lot to see and learn. It is definately worth the trip. It is laid out well and meticulously kept by the friendly & well educated staff. There is something to peak the interest of the whole family. The gift shop is very nice and the prices are reasonable. We will definately go back again and recommend this to anyone in the area as a must see.

Reviewed April 16, 2013

The Florida Museum of Natural History is what you'd expect from a museum of this nature. There are fossils, recreations of skeletons of ancient creatures from the area, and tons of facts to be shared about them. It's a interesting visit, but not something I could do every weekend. I do like the fact that they are constantly adding travelling exhibits, which helps breathe new life into the museum every so often.

Reviewed April 10, 2013

It took us maybe 4 hour or so to take our time and go through it. FANTASTIC MUSEUM. I greatly admire ALL the people behind these exhibits - the scientists, the curators, the writers, the artists, etc. The exhibits are so intelligently, engagingly, and artfully presented - you can not help but be drawn into the experiences of them (multi-media and interactive) and to LEARN. And it is nice place to visit.It was nice to take my daughter somewhere in Florida that didn't cost an arm and a leg. It wasn't very big, but it was engaging and educational.