“Think Twice”

Ranked #4 of 5 Gainesville B&B and Inns
vero beach
“Think Twice”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2007

We stayed at Sweetwater for my sisters graduation from Vet school in June 2007. Our family booked two cottages and three rooms for the weekend. The rooms were clean and decorated nicely. However the staff was so unbelievably rude we will never refer anyone to this resort or stay there again!
There was a wedding going on at the resort the same weekend, I think the women working that night thought we were with the wedding party because when we requested a roll of toilet paper she rudely replied "I will not give you toilet paper to wrap around the car" I then informed her that we needed to wipe ourselves and she said "the cleaning ladies had already locked it up." She was courteous enough to look in a cabinet and said "no we don't have any." I guess she didn't relize we could see in the cabinet. As soon as she stormed away we helped oursevles to a roll.
We then returned home to find an extra $50 fee tagged on to the room for cleaning. Which in my opionion was completely unnecessary. In additon my husband accidently left his cell phone/planner. We called and asked to please overnight the cell phone and we would gladly cover the costs, because it contained all of his scheduled appointments with his clients. The person we spoke to agreed that they could overnight the phone. It has now been a week and we have not recieved the cell phone! When we called they said "oh sorry we've been understaffed and very busy." This is completely unacceptable! Poor attitude and service do NOT make up for the nice property! I would only reccomend this place if I know the management changed!

• Disliked — STAFF
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
4 Thank chiropractor
SWB_Management, Reservations Manager at Sweetwater Branch Inn, responded to this review, September 2, 2007
Our beautiful cottages are based on double occupancy, two people, which it did state clearly on your reservation confirmation that each additional person is $25. The cleaning charge of $50 was minimal considering the fact you had a party with well over 20-30 people. You lead management to believe that only 2 people would be there when you made your reservation and when you came to check in. The clean up of the disaster area you left behind had our staff working overtime trying to restore the beauty of the cottage at it was before you arrived. With over 20 people there no wonder why you needed extra toilet paper.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Winter Garden, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2007

Sweetwater Branch Inn is a lovely bed and breakfast. We stayed in the Honeymoon Cottage-but not for our honeymoon. It was a nice little getaway. The cottage was adorable. The private kitchen had beautiful blue tiling. The jacuzzi was set in a romantic atmoshpere close to the two-sided fireplace. This cottage also faces a quaint garden with a short path. I truly enjoyed our night at the Sweetwater Branch Inn.

• Liked — Close to great restaurants and the rooms were very clean
  • Disliked — breakfast was ok
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank raisinette
florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2007

We stayed in Sarah's cottage, by the lovely fountain across from the main building. Everything was clean and fresh in the rooms. We booked a second night after enjoying the first one.
We would have liked more healthy choices at breakfast and more seating as the dining room was rather warm, and the porch was full. But, we would definitely stay there again when in Gainesville!

Florida Girl

Stayed December 2006
Crestview, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2006

I planned a romantic weekend getaway for my fiance and I. My fiance is leaving for Iraq in January and wanted to take him away for a romanitc weekend. After searching and searching the web for the "perfect" place I found Sweetwater Branch Inn! I must say that it was the best decision and could not have been more "perfect"! From the moment I booked the reservation to the time we left we had nothing but the best experience. When we arrived there was a wedding in progress, but that did not stop the staff from making us feel as though we were the only people there! That night for dinner there was a private romantic dinner set up for us. The chef even took time from the reception to bring us our dinner! ALL the staff was very friend and hospitable! This is an experience I will not soon forget! My fiance and I will be going back when he returns from Iraq!
Sweetwater Branch was the first B&B I have stayed at and I think it is just beautiful! I would recommend them to all my friends and family!

• Liked — The friendliness of the staff
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
1 Thank christy_lynne0318
Gainesville, Fl
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2006

Last week was my second visit to Luis'a Suite at Sweetwater Branch Inn. The first was an anniversary surprise in 2005. Last week was the culmination of a birthday celebration I planned for my love--and I don't know of a nicer, romantic site. Upon check-in we chatted with the reservation manager while we sipped wine and nibbled on cheese and crackers. She was fun and shared some of the house's history with us.

The Luisa attic suite has a cozy antique queen bed nestled in the dormer with stained glass windows beyond the headboard. There are romantic curtains at the end of the sleeping chamber at the foot of the bed. Beyond lies a day bed decked out with fluffy throw pillows, exquisitely appointed in satins and broacades, complementing the room's decor. It's perfect for curling up and talking after a jacuzzi for two. There's a television (which I've never used) and a radio/CD player with various selections available. There's a nook with a stained glass window and an antique table--water pitcher, glasses, phone. The armoire holds two white fluffy bathrobes perfect for accessing the bathroom.

Here's part of the charm of Luisa's suite. You go out the bedroom door, descend two steps to a little landing, then turn left and ascend two steps to the private bathroom for Luisa's suite. The solid wooden door opens onto a large bathroom accented by white lace curtains on the windows and ensconce the huge jacuzzi bath for two. Bath amenities are upscale and include bath salts as well as bath gel, lotion, shampoo and conditioner. In the jacuzzi, nestled behind the white lace that provides your special hideaway, you can look out the windows and star gaze.

The breakfast was wonderful. It started with assorted fresh fruits, juice and coffee and assorted herbal teas. We dined on homemade crepes with fruit filling followed by fluffy omelets filled with our choice of ham and cheese. We declined the toast and muffins as we were well sated by then.

In short, I can't wait for the next occasion to plan a romantic getaway at Luisa's suite.

Nancy Nedoma
Gainesville, Florida

Stayed October 2006
2 Thank crystalmaven
Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2006

My husband and I recently stayed at the Sweetwater Branch Inn. Due to the unfriendly and unprofessional behavior of the Manager, we will not be staying there again.

• Stayed October 2006
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank MemberFeedback
Tampa, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2006

This place might be nice for a quiet, old couple, but is definitely not intended for family stays. We made reservations a year in advance in order to attend a wedding and were very excited about staying in a bed and breakfast. However, they were very unhospitable from the moment we arrived. Although they had been given plenty of notice that we would be bringing two infants, they informed us at check - in that they wanted to charge us an additional $50 per night for the children (both under 2 years of age and we brought our own portable cribs). Then, they wanted us to eat breakfast outside so we did not "disturb the other guests." Breakfast was prepared late. It was supposed to end at 10:00, but one day it wasn't even ready until almost 9:30. They also made us share one towel for the two children and again gave us a hard time about the additional charges when we checked out. The wedding reception we attended there was very nice and we really enjoyed that part of our stay.

• Liked — Banquet facilities.
  • Disliked — The staff.
  • Tips/Secrets — Not recommended for children/families.
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with family