“As our first B&B ever, they set the standard”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Gainesville
The Magnolia Plantation Bed and Breakfast Inn
Ranked #2 of 5 Gainesville B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 30, 2009

Wodmnerful place, good food, friendly staff, love the logoon area in back - we stayed in the secret garden with our pet. It was clean, very clean and nice. Our pet was undisturbed as we travelled and she had her own area to go that was fenced in... - Would recommend again and we will for sure stay again

Todd and Angela in NC...

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Magnolia Plantation Bed and Breakfast Inn

Reviewed March 16, 2009

My girlfriend and I went to Gainesville for a little rest and relaxation and found Magnolia Plantation on-line. The reviews were excellent and so we booked the Carriage House. This is a lovely, restored two-story building with a very small kitchen, a small living room area, and a wonderful jacuzzi tub. The only small drawback to staying in the Carriage House was that breakfast was served in the morning underneath us in the outdoor kitchen and we were woken up by quite loud male visitors. (This was Gator Nationals weekend). We knew that breakfast was going to be served in this spot ahead of time, so this wasn't a surprise but if we stay there again we won't stay in the Carriage House if breakfast is served underneath us. Breakfast was from 8:30 - 10:00 am. However, I can't say enough about the beauty and loveliness of the Carriage House itself, which also has a wraparound porch. The evenings were the best part of this secluded oasis because we looked out on the tops of the trees. At night everything is very, very quiet and this space was lovely then. Also, if you're looking for a little romance or romantic ambiance then the Carriage House is the place to stay. I found the bed very comfortable and we had a small flat screen TV and a DVD player. I brought my own DVDs, but Cindy and Joe - the owners - have a great selection of DVDs in the main house. Parking was easy, and we had access to the main house where we found snacks and beverages. There is a coffee-maker in the Carriage House - if I had known this I would have brought my own coffee - and we used it several times. When I needed something, I just asked Cindy or Joe and they were extremely helpful. Both Cindy and Joe are great to talk to and they know A LOT of history of the area, so if you're interested in anything - other houses, businesses, etc. - they can help. Also, they were helpful in giving us some wonderful suggestions for what to do in the area. I grew up in Gainesville and my girlfriend went to graduate school there, and still we were able to find things to do that we never knew about - all thanks to Cindy and Joe's wonderful suggestions!
The only slightly downside that I found was the breakfast, which I thought was a little heavy on the carbs. There was always some kind of egg dish and different breads, and fruit, and on two days we had sausage, but these breakfasts are not gourmet or fancy affairs. However, that said I would still recommend this lovely bed and breakfast to others because it served its purpose - we got some rest, we really enjoyed ourselves, we learned about new things to do in an area we thought we knew all about, and we miss it already!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank btilley
Reviewed March 3, 2009

Beautiful property with huge shade trees, Spanish moss, terrific landscaping giving the feel of being in a forest environment in the middle of Gainesville. Main house is phenomenally restored Victorian (several rooms for guests), and I stayed in one of several cottages with my own Savannah-style courtyard. Private, lovely. Tremendously friendly and welcoming owners and staff but respectful and never in-your-face. Staying here transformed my trip from a 2-week business stint to a semi-vacation.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed February 23, 2009

Being the parent of a new U.F student, it was my goal to find a place to stay that could provide me and my family, (immediate and extended) quality time in a homelike environment. Finding the Magnolia Inn and Plantation was an answer to my prayers. After researching and visiting B&B’s available in Gainesville, Cindy and Joe Montalto’s property provided all the amenities I was looking for. From my meeting of the proprietors, the tour of the property to the last five visits, this was one of the best decisions I could have made.

Reservations are taken with pleasant concern to make sure the accommodations will fit my visit. Thanksgiving at the Secret Garden’s 2 bedroom cottage with a full kitchen allowed my family to enjoy a great holiday. Two visits at single bedroom Beth’s Cottage allowed time for catch up with my student in addition to respite from the hustle and bustle. The last two visits have been at Nutmeg and Ginger, part of a divided Craftsman’s Cottage. This cottage is a wonderful example of Frank Lloyd Wright influence.

All accommodations are theme based, well appointed and the beds are very comfortable. The landscaping is lush and soothing. There are many water elements including ponds and water fountains. Sitting outside will find you losing yourself to the beauty of this property.

The Main House of the Inn is a walk back in time. It has artifacts from the mid 1800’s when it was first built and there are references to the love and attention it took to renovate and establish the B&B. Its living room provides a great environment for wine and home made treats between 5 and 7 pm daily.

Breakfast can be served either at the Summer Kitchen (first floor of the Carriage House) or the Main House. You can eat at either of those locations, have your food brought to you or take the meal back to your room. The meal is consistently delicious and varied in what is offered.

The staff, and in particular Blair, is wonderful. They are non-intrusive, helpful and very accommodating. If you need something they are prompt in attending to your issue.

Every time my family visits we feel like we are staying with old friends. Each time we leave we look forward to the next time we will return.

• Stayed: February 2009
Reviewed December 2, 2008

We recently stayed at the Key Lime Cottage at the Magnolia Bed and Breakfast. The cottage is quaint and is great for a family. The only criticism I would have is that they need better pillows on the beds and need to install hooks behind the bathroom doors to hang towels, etc.

As far as the breakfast is concerned, the quality of the breakfast was good but the serving logistics were a problem. We went to the main house for breakfast as we were advised to do only to be directed to the "summer" kitchen instead. When we got to the summer kitchen, we grabbed our breakfast (it was buffet syle) but it was too chilly to eat outside and the heater was not working so we were forced to go back to our cottage. It was cumbersome and as the Key Lime Cottage is the last cottage on the property, we had to reheat the food on the microwave as it was cold by the time we got to our room.

I would suggest that the propietors buy a bigger breakfast table or get several tables set up at the main house for guests to eat breakfast during cold winter days. Aside from this, our stay was very comfortable.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank gvblaw
Reviewed October 21, 2008

For the uninitiated, Gainesville has a very limited selection of places to stay. If you are seeking something more than the collection of average, 3-star hotels dotted around campus and along I-75, Magnolia Plantation Inn may be the choice for you.

We were immediately greeted on the telephone in a pleasant and warm manner. Of course you know you arranging to stay in an older home cloistered with semi-antiques and adorned the with inconveniences of an age gone past (i.e. miniscule bathrooms). So why stay at a B&B? In my opinion, it is for “homey hospitality” and the Magnolia does not disappoint.

I was very close to booking up the street at the wedding-factory-B&B (see other reviews for the name) but the owner blew me off when I called and did not call me back. So much the better, as I had the pleasure of working with Blair to make my reservation. She was pleasant and real. No false hospitality.

Check-in was a breeze. We simply identified ourselves and she gave us keys. Nothing other than that. The property is expansive and includes several cottages. We holed up in the Miss Huey cottage which is approximately 1,200 square feet and includes a kitchen, an eating area/Florida room and 2 bedrooms. The neighborhood is quiet and lovely. My wife and I enjoyed just rocking away on the front porch, reading a book and watching the world go by in slow motion.

Meals were buffet-style and very nicely prepared. Excellent selection too. My only hang-ups about the site are purely personal preference and relate to how many do-dads and chachka are literally stuffed into every crevice. A little too much for me, but maybe that is what you are looking for in a B&B.

Located within a 10 minute walk from good restaurants, bars and coffee shops in Gainesville. Overall we had a nice time and would likely stay again if our path strays as far as Gainesville.

Stayed: October 2008
Reviewed July 16, 2007

My husband and I visited the Magnolia B&B for our Anniversary this year and had a wonderful time. At the time, I was suffering from terrible morning-sickness so we were unable to do much out in Gainesville but chose to spend the weekend just reading and relaxing in the Carriage House and around the inn. The property is beautiful and well-maintained. Every effort is made to keep guests comfortable and happy. Cindy and Joe are warm, fantastic hosts. Thanks for a wonderful get-away.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)