“An OK restaurant that did not live up to TripAdvisor ratings.”

Francesca's Trattoria
Ranked #24 of 574 Restaurants in Gainesville
Cuisines: Italian
Tallahassee, FL
“An OK restaurant that did not live up to TripAdvisor ratings.”
Reviewed January 12, 2010

Pleasant restaurant with pretty good servce and just OK food. We ordered a bruschetta appetizer ($10) which was very good. Salads were fresh but bland. Entrees were baked ziti which was OK, nothing special; eggplant parmesan which was artificial (not fresh) tasting, inferior to most. I ordered a glass of pinot noir ($8) which was bitter and filled only a third of the standard glass. I think rather than opening a new bottle, they just shorted the glass.

No significant complaints but we expected much more given the stellar reputation. Disappointing, especially when you consider this restaurant's higher than most pricing. We would not go back.

1 Thank vbooks

palatka
“A wonderful suggestion”
Reviewed November 13, 2009

My husband and I were in Gainesville this past weekend for the UF vs Vanderbilt football game. The game wasn't until 7:15 PM so we had a little time to kill around town. At the suggestion of some of our local friends, we decided to stop into Francesca's for an early dinner. We are lacking a quality italian restaurant where we live, and wanted to try this local favorite. We arrived shortly after five and were greeted by two servers in white chef coats, an interesting uniform for the front of the house. We were sat at a booth and told about the specials for the evening by our server, shrimp sorentino and snapper ala napoli. The server also informed us about a "sundowner" early bird menu which was in effect til 6:30, though we werent terribly interested in it and wanted to experience some of the main menu items. I settled on veal scallopini alla francesca, and my husband opted for the snapper special. Both dishes were fantastic! The sauces were quality and the fact that they were homemade really shined through in the taste. Both dishes were served with rolls, and pasta, more than enough food for the both of us. Our server was funny, polite and attentive. All in all a great experience that we were able to enjoy at the suggestion of our friends. As such, I would like to pass on this suggestion to any of you reading this and looking for a unique dining experience in Gainesville!

Gainesville
“A disappointment”
Reviewed November 2, 2009

My husband and I decided to stop by and check out this new restaurant. We arrived at 9:50pm on a Friday night to find half the restaurant closed. The bar tender said they were open - just slow so he was in the process of closing down. We were able to sit at the bar. We ordered a glass of wine and Tiramisu. The wine was old and sour and the Tiramisu was stale. After telling the bar tender that the wine was bad, he instructed me to ask to taste the wine next time so that I was not stuck paying for something that was not good. We paid our 20.00 dollar bill and left. We would prefer to go to a restaurant where we do not have to pay for bad wine and stale Tiramisu.

5 Thank AMK2009
Gainesville, FL
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fresh tomato flavors took me back to my travels in Parma, Italy”
Reviewed October 27, 2009

I visited this restaurant for the first time shortly after returning from my travels in Italy. What surprised me about the sauces there was the fresh tomato flavor. Upon coming back, I realized that I had been eating Americanized Italian food. Thank heavens for Francesca's! This is the restaurant my husband and I always choose to celebrate those special occasions!

1 Thank GainesilleTraveler
Florida
“OVERPRICED”
Reviewed October 8, 2009

We ordered a 12 " pizza with mushrooms and grilled chicken and a child sized lasagna. With a small internet discount the total was $29. We brought home the pizza and It maybe served 1 1/2 people at the most. The crust was thin and the toppings were scarce. I understand the economy is bad, the restaurant is only 1 year old but come on. I normally give the benefit of the doubt but in this situation, don't wast your good earned money.

3 Thank fsugator