“Great Location; Parking is a Maze”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Gainesville
Reitz Union Hotel - UF Campus
Ranked #20 of 44 Hotels in Gainesville
Lafayette, Indiana
“Great Location; Parking is a Maze”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2013

For a business trip to University of Florida, I was put up at the Reitz Union Hotel. Overall I was thrilled with the convenience to campus, although accessing the parking lot was the most confusing thing ever.

Liked:
+ FANTASTIC location at the UF student union, close to Engineering buildings, lots of dining on-site
+ Very quiet and secure (and I was there during Homecoming week, too!)
+ Ample parking, free
+ Friendly and helpful students staff the front desk 24/7
+ Spacious rooms with comfortable desk, modern amenities, minifridge
+ Very well-lit; bathrooms are very bright
+ Very clean, modern, well-maintained

Needs improvement:
- Parking is RIDICULOUS. It's so complicated to get from the rooms to the parking lot, or vice versa, that the front desk gives out a two-page instruction manual on how to do this.
- Pillows were way too puffy, and the bed a little springy for my liking
- The toilet was only about a foot and a half tall -- very awkward
- Could use more accessible power outlets

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank stargirlssc

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Arabic first
St. Augustine, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013

When I have to attend a meeting at UF, I call the Reitz Union Hotel first. I like the students at the front desk, so helpful and so professional and the rooms are well appointed and comfortable. I usually can get one facing the stadium which is a nice view.

The rooms are clean, the wireless is free and the rate is reasonable. Coffee maker works, too, which is not always the case elsewhere.

The breakfast is OK with yogurt; bagels are fresh and the cereal selection is good. I am usually there while they are setting up so having fresh coffee is not an issue.

I would certainly change the parking arrangement because now I cannot do the long walk or the stair climbing because of a leg issue.I did find nearby Handicapped parking overnight (I have a state-issued blue placard) and moved the car in the morning to a pre-arranged place for the conference I was attending.

I've worked it out because this is the place to stay if you have business on campus.

Room Tip: Ask when you reserve if you can get a room overlooking the stadium.
1 Thank 450oldcity
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2013

If you're heading to UF for something other than graduation or a football game, then you really need to stay at Reitz. Would be great for those events, but i'm sure prices are triple and rooms nearly impossible to get.

But during the week, it was a great location in the heart of campus. Decent sized room and balcony overlooking UF. Since it's part of the student union, wide choice of sit down and fast food restaurants in the building as well.

Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Book early .. will be nearly impossible to book on a football weekend.
1 Thank GlobalWanderer59
Knoxville, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2013

I have stayed at the Reitz Union hotel numerous times over the years as I visit campus twice a year. I have always found the hotel to be comfortable, clean, and extremely convenient as it's located in the student union in the center of campus. The hotel occupies the top two floors of the Union and is managed by the university. This is not a frilly hotel and if that's what you want, then there are very few choices in Gainesville that will satisfy your needs. But it is a good, solid choice especially if you need to be on campus because the best perk of this hotel is a PARKING PASS! No hunting for open spaces in lots that allow visitors. A continental breakfast is served on each floor, but there are other food options as well (no room service). There is a food court including a Starbucks in the student union just three floors below the hotel and the campus bookstore is also in the building so access to sundries including forgotten toiletries, is very easy. Inside the rooms there are two full size beds, a desk, a mini-fridge, a large bathroom with no character whatsoever, but very good water pressure. The towels are mid-grade. There are no robes or slippers, but the closet has hangers and the beds have good pillows. The balconies all have campus views and some really wonderful ones right over to the stadium. Speaking of the stadium, it's a five minute walk from the hotel. I recommend this hotel to anyone who is going to be on campus for an extended period of time.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that looks over the stadium for great balcony views.
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

I am a distance learning student at the University of Florida & was on campus for 3 days to take my final exams for my masters degree. I chose to stay at the Reitz Union Hotel for two reasons. First, it was centrally located on campus and second, it was the cheapest hotel in the area when you take into account driving back & forth between campus & an off-campus hotel, as well as paying for parking on campus. I was able to park in front of the Reitz Union for check-in & could have left my bag at the front desk (I was traveling alone) while I parked my car in the connected parking garage after checking in. Check-in was quick & the student at the front desk provided me with much information about how to park, how to access my room, a map of the campus, & coupons for the various restaurants in the union. I then parked my car, which true to other reviews, the only choice of parking is on the roof of a parking garage with no elevator to take you to the proper floor. You do have to walk up a flight of stairs and down an outdoor corridor before reaching the door that will take you to the elevators that will go to your room. I'm young, I'm in shape; this was not a big deal to me especially since parking was included in my nightly rate. Perhaps a little inconvenient, but not a deal breaker for ME because the purpose of my visit was to take exams & I wanted to be within a decent walking distance of the building where my exams were located.

There is controlled access to the 5th & 6th floors, which are the only floors in which hotel rooms are located. You have to swipe your key in order to push the button for those floors. I found that I never had to wait for an elevator & that the elevators were never crowded. I had booked a standard room with one queen-sized bed & it was more than adequate. There was a little "cubby" where I could place my suitcase & hang my clothes. The bathroom was a little small to maneuver in, but there was ample counter space, towels, and hot water, as well as a hair dryer. Bath & Body Works bath products are provided, so for a short visit, this may allow for lighter packing of toiletries for some. There was a flat screen TV, ample drawer space, & a large work desk with a lamp & a chair comfy enough to accommodate extremely long hours of studying. As an added perk, I had a VERY large balcony with nice views of the campus (especially "The Swamp") & I also saw some beautiful sunsets at night. All in all, I was very pleased with the cleanliness & amenities of the room & I DEFINITELY feel that I received my money's worth out of the room & the location.

The only small SUGGESTION that I have is to "revamp" the complimentary breakfast. Having a complimentary breakfast is a wonderful perk & something that should be taken for what it is ... a free breakfast. All in all, it served MY needs as I eat very little to begin with. However, I also eat very healthy & it seemed as though carbs was the name of the game. The only foods available each day were yogurt, bagels, & cereal. I was rather surprised to see that there was no fruit available (apples, oranges, bananas). There is orange & cranberry juice available, as well as coffee. However, two days in a row, there was no coffee available & on the second day, I took it upon myself to switch an empty coffee container with a fresh one because it had not been done within an hour's time span. Once again, it's COMPLIMENTARY so there should be no complaints. But, it also seems that the standard complimentary breakfast is a hot one these days, which means that fruit & fresh coffee should not be too much to ask for.

All in all, I would recommend this hotel. The inconvenience of the parking could be overcome by dropping off guests and/or bags at the front desk & the complimentary breakfast can be supplemented with the food located in the union (for a fee, of course). I also appreciated the service that I received from the students at the front desk as they seemed to be the most competent & customer service based when compared to the others that worked throughout the union. I think that UF has made this hotel a convenient & reasonably priced choice for various on-campus events.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank EnjoyingLife23
Christopher K, General Manager at Reitz Union Hotel - UF Campus, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to relay your feedback of the services we provide. Your review and suggestions are much appreciated and we will strive for an A+ in the future.

Go Gators!

Christopher Kehn, CHA
Panama City Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013

Convenient place to stay when visiting UF. The rooms are small but very clean. The front desk staff was very helpful and the housekeeping did a great job. The balcony offers a nice view of the campus. Would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Schoppepcb
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2013 via mobile

Arrived with family before midnight for preview day tomorrow. We reserved with 3 weeks in advance as per location. Homongous roaches in room and bath. Front desk (student attendance) called manager (Chris), best that they can do is refund our money as no more rooms available. Unable to find us another hotel in UF area (that we have to pay). There is no maintenance team to kill the bugs, one of the associates responded that he will not recommend the hotel to his friends as is an old building (1962) with only 38 rooms. If you ever come here, reserve in the Holiday Inn located in front of UF. As I write, I still dont know where we are going to expend our night.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank ingapirca
Christopher K, General Manager at Reitz Union Hotel - UF Campus, responded to this review, June 30, 2013
We regret that the guest found a bug in the room. I received a call at 12:45 that night from our building manager to discuss the incident with the guest. The building manager had offered to go to the room and the guest declined saying that they wanted to switch rooms. The hotel was full at the time so the guest requested to be moved to a different hotel and we secured them a room at the Red Roof Inn.
I received a call back from the building manager moments later informing me that the guest decided to stay and did not want to move hotels.
As a part of the University of Florida we are regularly serviced by the university pest control team. As previous reviews indicate our rooms are kept at a high level of cleanliness and we do everything in our power to make sure that incidents such as this one are rare.
I talked with the guest that night and did everything I could to help them at that time. I followed up with a call in the morning and left a message on their voice mail to ask them about the remainder of their stay and once again apologize to them.
On behalf of myself, our employees and the university we are greatly disappointed in the experience that this guest had while staying with us and we pledge to work even harder to make sure that these incidents do not occur in the future.
Christopher C. Kehn, CHA.