Sleep Inn & Suites University/Shands
$84
Hilton.com
  • Pool
Savings alert! 24% below average rates

The price you found is 24% lower than this hotel's average rate of $111/night.

$93
$165
$137
Hotelpower.com
  • Breakfast included
All reviewscookieswafflesfree popcornfront deskbreakfast roomhot breakfastbeds were comfortabledefinitely stay here againnext morningshands hospitalbusiness centerone night staycomfortable stayupon checkcoffee makerking roomhousekeeping staff
Reviewed December 1, 2012

This isn't our first time at this hotel, however, it will be our last. Our son is a student at UF and although we weren't overly impressed with our overnight stay during orientation last summer, the lure of a good rate brought us back. Upon check in, (after 5pm) they took some time trying to find a clean room. The room appeared fine at first glance. I will list a few items that contributed to my decision to stay elsewhere during our future trips to Gainesville.
1- The interior of in-room coffee maker was full of dust. Gross. Have no idea where it was stored prior, but clearly nobody cleaned it. If the 'free' coffee downstairs in the lobby had been fresh or hot, this would have been a minor inconvenience. Unfortunately, they didn't bother to monitor the free coffee, in addition to there being no hot cocoa packets, and no cookies.
2- Hair in the bed. Yuck!
3- Un-vacuumed carpeted floor. Disgusting.
4- Phone does not allow you to call front desk. (Is this on purposes?)
5- No bedding for pull out sofa. Went down to front desk (since the phone wouldn't dial the front desk), and the housekeeper was sitting at the front desk lounging. She then went back, grabbed a pile of bedding and handed it to me. Really? I just stood there holding the bedding. She says "oh do you need me to put the bedding on?" Um..no that's ok I got it.
6-Free breakfast. Set your expectations low. Powdered eggs, lunchmeat ham and styrofoam plates. I didn't expect gourmet, however, even my young kids had a hard time eating it. The coffee was at least hot in the morning, and the apple juice tasted good to my kids. The next two mornings we would plan to eat elsewhere for breakfast. It was also extremely crowded, and there were kids/tweens running around through the breakfast area wiping their noses and touching the food, etc. Yes it was "free", but not worth the time or effort.
7- Left in the morning and came back at 4:30pm. Room not touched...housekeepers nowhere to be seen. The staff's response was that they were busy and I should understand that each housekeeper at 18 rooms to clean that day. As much as I can sympathize with the poor folks having to put in a hard day's work, I quite frankly shouldn't have to worry about hotel staffing issues. I just asked for new towels and said forget it.

I paid $90/nt., and feel like this is a $59/nt hotel. We are pretty forgiving when it comes to a business that is truly trying to make an effort. My husband and I both have executive hotel experience, and feel like this hotel has dropped the ball big time. It's hard to overcome an aging hotel, cheap toiletries, and a picnic breakfast. However, cleanliness is a HUGE issue for most people and that's completely within management's control. We will not be back. Too many other options in Gainesville to try at that rate.

• Stayed: November 2012
4  Thank CarolynElizabeth942
Reviewed November 30, 2012

We stayed in this hotel when we came down for the first Gator football game of the season, and were very impressed with the staff's attention to guest experience.

First off, the hotel was very clean; the staff very friendly; the guest room was fresh smelling and immaculate. The breakfast the next morning was good; they have two waffle irons so the wait for waffles isn't as long as I've experienced elsewhere.

Secondly, the staff caters to fans on gameday with BBQ tailgating the morning of the game, a shuttle to and from the game, and cheek art for the kids, making the all-around experience fantastic. This was my son's first Gator game and the hotel had a large part in making his day memorable.

When we come down for football games in the future this hotel will definitely be at the top of our list for accommodations.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 29, 2012

Very impressed with the quality of the place and the service. I wish all Sleep Inns were like this one. I believe the employees are the key. They were very courteous and they did their job well. It's apparent in the cleanliness of the place and the quality of breakfast they offer. This place exceeds its class. I hope the employees are treated well so they can keep giving excellent service.

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank Jane S
Reviewed November 26, 2012

I normally don't write reviews for the hotels that we stay in because most of them are pretty standard and routine things to report...good food, soft beds, bad this or that, somebody didn't cater to my little needs...but I am compelled to write a review for this Sleep Inn & Suites in Gainesville,

This trip was our week long Thanksgiving get away and we selected this particular Sleep Inn for 2 primary reasons...1) the excellent treatment from the reservationist on the 800 line and her description of the hotel, 2) after reading the tripadvisor review and seeing that the GM Bruce Cribbs gave his actual cell phone number to solve a problem for a guest...talk about great customer service.

When we arrived the front desk staff was amazingly nice and friendly, we were checked in and on our way to the room in no time.

The room was very clean, comfortable and appealing. Needless to say we were very pleased.

Breakfast was very good but what made it a pleasure to get up early (6:30 am) and go to breakfast was the Breakfast Attendant Demetric Robbins (yes, I did get his name), This young man has the right demeanor for job in that he was helpful, friendly and he genuinely wanted everyone to enjoy the breakfast that he put out for us, and we all did!! Whether it as keeping the coffee flowing, giving lessons on using the waffle iron, keeping the area clean and ready for the next guest, Demetric seemed to be everywhere he was needed all at the same time. What a great asset to the Sleep Inn staff.

Cam Smith at the front desk made sure that every guest felt special from the friendly hello upon entering the lobby to the cookies and popcorn prepared fresh every afternoon. Every one of the front desk staff was eager to please and made this trip fantastic.

We normally don't frequent the same city or the same hotel on our trips...but we are already planning a return trip to the Sleep Inn and Suites in Gainesville.
We were blessed to have been here.

Pastor Tim Williams
The Gospel Way Baptist Church
Miami Gardens, FL 33169

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Pastor_Tim_Wms
Reviewed November 24, 2012

This Sleep Inn is an excellent place to stay. The front desk staff is outstanding and friendly, the room was very clean, the mattresses were very comfortable, the breakfast was varied and fresh and all guests were given a friendly greeting by the young man in charge of the breakfast, and the parking lot has ample parking. My husband and I were very tired when we arrived and were cordially helped by Lacey and Bruce. We had a wonderful room on the 1st floor. The location of this Sleep Inn is right off I-75 but we didn't hear any traffic noises from the highway or the street. They also served cookies and popcorn as a snack for their guests. I am a tea drinker and there was a nice assortment of specialty teas. This is a great place to stay in Gainesville and I highly recommend this Sleep Inn! (The only thing I would recommend is that the Sleep Inn gets one or two more luggage carts. When we were there on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving, some guests took the carts close to checkout time and held onto them for an hour. My husband was able to borrow a handtruck to carry our things to our car when we couldn't wait longer than 30 minutes to leave for our destination. Some guests have no consideration for others. When the Inn is very occupied, perhaps guests should have to sign out for a cart so carts' locations can be tracked.)

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple