“Good Value”

Ranked #5 of 44 Hotels in Gainesville
Lake Wales, Florida
“Good Value”
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Pros:
Cheap
Relatively new
Clean (carpets, furniture, bathroom, etc.)
Strong Wifi signal.

Cons:
Fitness Center is very limited. Stationary bike was not working, leaving only an eliptical and treadmill.
Breakfast was average to below average for a complimentary service. The hot items weren't too appealing and there no fresh fruit. But the toast and cereal were fine, and the waffles looked OK.
The TVs were low quality (no HD service).

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank James T

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Deerfield Beach, Florida, United States
Reviewed October 20, 2012

It's game day in Gainesville today. We have two nights here at the Sleep Inn. Everyone has been so friendly, helpful and gracious. IT'S A BUSY WEEKEND AND SOLD OUT. But the staff has it all covered. First, check in took 5 minutes and a very clean suite room. Breakfast prepared by local alum Dimetrius was excellent. We have rated the Sleep Inn the Best Hotel Breakfast and trust me we've eaten at plenty of them. Owner, Bruce, even has a game day tailgate lunch being prepared on a huge BBQ grill in the parking lot. We will be heading to the game with a full stomach ... All included in our room ;-)

Thanks Bruce and staff. You've made our weekend awesome and we will be back!!!!

Donna Moran and Mark Schacht, Deerfield Beach, FL

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Donna M
GatorFan49, General Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites University/Shands, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Thanks for your comments & choosing to spend Game Day with us at the Sleep Inn Gainesville. We are glad to do the extra things to make sure your weekend experience was better than expected-- with the Free Breakfast, Tailgate BBQ, and Game Day Shuttle to & from the stadium- we do the extras so you have a memorable weekend....I wish we could take credit for the Gator win over the Gamecocks as well! We look forward to your next visit.
Reviewed October 7, 2012 via mobile

I flew into Gainesville on short notice for a family funeral and booked the room online based Tripadvisor reviews. The room was very neat, but I quickly noticed that the bedspreads of both queen beds had several spots and stains. It was late, and the sheets appeared clean, so I just removed the spread from the bed. In the morning I found a clump of long blonde hair on the shower shelf and several long dark hairs along the edge of the tub. I looked for Kleenex to remove the hair but the box was empty. I spoke to the manager in the morning about the issues. I was not looking for any type of discount so did not ask, but neither did he make any offer other than to follow up with the cleaning staff. All of the staff were polite and most were very friendly. They offered several complimentary breakfast options, so I didn't need to go to any of the several nearby restaurants in the morning. Really, if the room had been clean, the reasonable rate would have been a good value. The stained bedspreads were the deal breaker for me. While the manager assured me this was an exception to the rule, I will not book with this hotel again.

Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Donna S
I am sorry to hear about the reason for your visit to Gainesville and also the dissapointing stay you experienced with us. It is unusual for us to have issues like you experienced as we focus consistently on the quality and cleanliness of our rooms. As the General Manager, I wish I would have had the opportunity to meet you to have provided a better resolution to your stay. I hope your future travels bring you to Gainesville for pleasure and give us an opportunity for you to experience Very Good/Excellent stays that 120+ Tripadvisor users have shared with us.
Gulf Shores, Alabama
Reviewed October 5, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for a week in Sept. on a medical rate. Rate was okay put felt it could have been less considering everything.
1) Girl at front desk gave me back $20 too much....no thank you or anything. (Could have said nothing & she would have been short!)
2) Couldn't get WI-FI to work, called front desk & same girl said to call number listed on room phone. Explained there wasn't a number & she said "we'll I don't know what to tell you, because it is." and hung up. Found out next day that number was on card that also wasn't in our room.
3) 3rd day, bed was made but nothing was cleaned nor towels exchanged. Everyday it felt like room was only 1/2 done.
4) bathrooms need exhaust fans!
Made reservations for Dec when hubby needs to go back to Shands hospital but will cancel as I feel we can do much better elsewhere!

• Stayed September 2012
2 Thank linda5251
Thanks for providing candid feedback about your stay. The customer service you experienced is not the standard we train and expect our staff to deliver. As the manager, I am dissappointed I was not made aware of this to address this immediately. We have upgraded the internet equipment and faster broadband in the entire building so you have consistent and reliable service. I hope you change your mind and decide to give us another chance during your next visit to Gainesville and personally contact me, Bruce Cribbs, on my cell phone at 352-316-6311 and I will make sure you have a better experience.
Beavercreek, Ohio
Reviewed October 4, 2012

After checking out the primary hotel recommended by Shands Hospital for families of patients, I went to Trip Advisor and selected Sleep Inn based on traveler recommendations. It was the perfect choice!

We found not only clean, well appointed rooms, great location, and plenty of free amenities, but also a staff whose kindness and compassion helped make the difficult days easier without ever feeling intrusive.

I travel fairly often for business, pleasure, and unfortunately family hospital visits, and have never experienced the level of service received the friendliness of service offered at the Sleep Inn by anywhere except the occasional B&B. I am grateful to those I met at the Sleep Inn and highly recommend it!

Room Tip: King Suites are the best price option and include refrigerators and microwaves
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Artful_D0dger
Montevallo, Alabama
Reviewed September 25, 2012

I travelled with a large group and had a great experience. The hotel was conveniently located, extremely comfortable and clean and the room rates easily fit our budget. Their friendly desk staff was helpful, professional and so easy to work with. The breakfast that they provided was great and the free popcorn and cookies were a huge hit. I have already recommended this hotel to friends and colleagues who often travel through Gainesville.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Ken H
Hot Springs, Arkansas
Reviewed September 21, 2012

I reserved this hotel via the Choice hotels website for $67- a great value. Likes: location convenient to gas and restaurants; friendly desk staff going out of their way to earn a '5'; free popcorn and 3 kinds of cookies in the lobby in the PM, and a free snack bag on check in; free Wall St Journal; smoke and pet free facility; clean; quiet; spacious bathroom with large vanity counter and high shower head; microwave and fridge; comfortable oversized desk in room; fitness room with recumbent bike, treadmill and stair stepper; comfortable bed with quilted mattress topper; recycle bins by elevators; and wonderful breakfast with ham, sausage patties, biscuits, sausage gravy, scrambled eggs and boiled eggs, yogurt, juice, boxed cereal, 2 waffle makers, breads and fruits. Disliked the dusty HVAC unit, but the desk personnel were very eager to fix that as soon as I reported it. Would stay again!

Room Tip: #305 was very quiet, and overlooked the parking lot so we could keep an eye on our car.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple