“A restful night”

Ranked #6 of 44 Hotels in Gainesville
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“A restful night”
Reviewed September 14, 2012

I've become a big fan of the Sleep Inn franchise recently. The hotels are generally newer and in better condition than rival chains. That was true in a recent stay in Sanford, Florida, and again here in Gainesville, where my room was spotlessly clean, comfortable and well-appointed. Check-in was friendly, courteous and efficient and breakfast was a lot of fun. There's a young dude in charge of the breakfast room who takes pride in looking after the guests and ensuring all the food and beverages are constantly fresh. He even wraps the apples individually in cling film - "You want somebody else pawing over YOUR apple?" he says with a smile.
The hotel is quiet because it's on a quiet side road, yet very close to a large upscale mall.
I cannot fault this place - my AAA rate for one night was $74 including tax - you don't usually get a hotel with an indoor corridor for that price, let alone one as impressive as this.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Richard L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Reviewed August 30, 2012

I was very PLEASED with my stay and will absolutely stay there again. The WIFI service was free and very easy to access. The beds were very comfortable and clean. The breakfast was very well stocked and had a variety that satisfied my wife and 3 kids. The staff was very professional and kind.

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank Deanvc
University Place, Washington
Reviewed August 18, 2012 via mobile

The staff was friendly, accomadating, and helpful. Our room was clean and comfortable. Especially enjoyed the abundant complimentary breakfast! After a long day out, I requested an extra hour for check out the next day and was accomadated with no problem. The inn is also close to a major shopping area and the University of Florida.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
GatorFan49, General Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites University/Shands, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
Thanks for taking time to provide feedback on your stay. We have listened to our customers about wanting an extensive selection for breakfast and we are pleased to provide it. Please visit again when your travels bring you to Gainesville.
Hudson, Florida
Reviewed August 16, 2012

I needed a place to stay for an overnight and chose Sleep Inn based on the reviews and price. The staff were courteous and attentive. The hotel sits back off the road which made for a quiet stay. The rooms are okay and was fairly clean. The fitted sheet was too small for the bed which kept coming off. I would stay here for a place to sleep overnight but not for an extended stay.

• Stayed August 2012
Longboat Key, Florida
Reviewed August 6, 2012 via mobile

Clean, quiet room with good breakfast & easy location with good parking. Room with 2 queen beds a little crowded & very humid. Yes, I am familiar with Florida in the summertime, I live here but it shouldn't be that humid indoors! Wifi so weak & slow it's useless! Would still stay here again because overall it was a good stay.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Thanks for taking time to tell us about your stay. We have taken action on your feedback to lower the humidity from this unusually rainy weather we have had lately by using dehumidifiers in the hotel. We have also completed a totel overhaul of the wireless internet throughout the hotel so it is fast and reliable- no matter what floor your room is on. As you see, we strive to exceed our customer's expectations and will continue to look for opportunities to improve. Please visit us again for an improved experience.
Columbia, South Carolina
Reviewed August 6, 2012

We stayed at the Sleep Inn for several nights while visiting Gainesville recently. Like the title of the review says, it is a decent place but not as nice as other hotels in the vicinity.

Pros:
Price - $99 a night for a king suite was lower than any of the comparable properties.
Comfort- The room was comfortable, and the bed was one of the nicest I've slept on recently.
Breakfast- Standard fare at this pointfor hotels in this price range: a variety of bagels and sweet rolls, sausage patties, eggs, waffle makers. The young man working in the breakfast area was very nice.

Cons:
Internet- you pretty much know when they tell you "if you have any Internet troubles, call this number" that you're going to have Internet troubles. Therefore, I wasn't surprised when I couldn't get Internet access in my room. However, if I got close to my window, I could pick up the Super 8's wireless next door. I didn't complain or call the help line, because there's not a lot of troubleshooting you can do when you're using an iPhone or iPad.
Cleanliness: our shower had hairs in it, as did several of our towels. There were also several hairs stuck to the base of the toilet.
Staff: other than the breakfast guy, this was probably the most apathetic hotel staff I've ever been around. They weren't really rude, just not very friendly. I worked in hotels for several years while in college, so I know how the job can be, but never was I allowed to sit at a chair behind the desk, engrossed in the computer screen while ignoring guests walking in and out of the lobby.

In all,I think that the cleanliness problems I encountered in my room are probably not widespread in the hotel, but I doubt I would stay at this property again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank DubDs
Thanks for taking time to tell us about your stay. I am disappointed your stay did not exceed your expectations. It is unfortunate your experience with the staff was not as positive as I expect. We will take action to address this experience with our staff. Additionally, we have updated the internet equipment to ensure consistent performance throughout the hotel. We hope you will give us another opportunity to provide you a better stay.
Venice Fl
Reviewed August 2, 2012

This hotel is located at I-75 and Archer Rd....close to UF and Shands. Rooms are extremely clean. Staff is very nice. Breakfast good also. You cannot beat this hotel for the price. Pretty quiet also, although close to interstate. Always stay here when in Gainesville.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business