“Nice and convenient place, with great staff”

Sleep Inn & Suites University/Shands
Ranked #8 of 44 Hotels in Gainesville
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
“Nice and convenient place, with great staff”
Reviewed July 5, 2012

We stayed overnight on this hotel for a doctor’s appt. at SHANDS. We were pleasantly surprised. They actually have a popcorn machine and you can help yourself with some popcorn for the kids or a nice cup of coffee or tea. The staff is nice and helpful. We had trouble with internet connection on our floor and they went the “extra mile” to help us. Even gave us the password so we could use the secure connection from the 1st. Floor (Reception area) and offered to change us from our room to another location where the signal was strong. We declined but it was nice to know that they would accommodate our needs. It looks like it is a recurrent issue, tough. Our room was on the 3rd. It had a mini fridge, microwave, flat screen TV, coffee maker with plenty regular and decaf coffee. Beds were comfortable and clean and room was also very quiet. I was especially impressed with the Bathroom. Clean tile floors, large granite sink, the tub walls were made of granite. There were plenty of towels available. We didn’t use the pool but it seemed to be well cared for. Breakfast was ok, they offer hot and cold items, I didn’t see any fresh fruit or bagels, but it doesn’t mean they wouldn’t offer. It is served in a relatively small area but we didn’t have trouble getting in and out. The hotel conveniently located just off I-75 and is surrounded by restaurants, gas stations, fast foods, and shopping center not to mention less than 10 minutes from the building where I have my appt. Would stay again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Savannah, Georgia
Reviewed July 3, 2012

This is a very nice Sleep in convenient to anybody staying off I75 or visiting UF. It sits southwest of the campus and is close to stores and restaurants. The staff was courteous, especially in the breakfast room to two mornings I was there. Everything was clean and the rooms relatively quiet. The bathrooms are large and taken care of. The room had a working microwave and fridge. the only issue was the wi-fi, which would not connect in the evenings. Morning's connection was ok but for some reason it did not work at night at all. A stop at the front desk taught me that it is a recurring problem, that I could get a better signal from the Motel 6 across the street and they could call over to get me the password for it if I wanted. I declined and used the computer room off the lobby. Probably the difference between my "4" rating instead of a 5.
I'd still recommend the place as clean, friendly and for the most part functional.

Hollywood, Florida
Reviewed July 1, 2012

Have stayed there twice already last stayed June 9 2012 and booked again for August . Bruce the manager and front desk staff (Cheri) are awesome and the staff are always friendly. Young man in the breakfast area was providing great customer service . Not the fanciest but always clean and friend and comfortable. Thanks

Gainesville, Florida
Reviewed June 23, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Sleep Inn & Suites in Gainesville, Florida for 2 nights in June 2012. The location is just off I-75, close to Univeristy of Florida and in the middle of hundreds of stores, gas stations and restaurants. I reserved our room on-line at a guaranteed rate -- when I got to the front desk to check-in, they pushed a credit card receipt across for me to sign at a rate that was $10.00 per night higher. Thank goodness I had printed my online Confirmation and had eviidence that my rate was supposed to be lower. The clerk went in a back room for 5 minutes, then came out apologizing saying that it was a computer glitch. One other issue -- the toilet seat in the bathroom was broken on one side. We reported it to the front desk within hours after check-in. We were told that it would be repaired the next day while we were out -- we stayed in that room for 2 days and it was never repaired. The good things: The room was clean and comfortable, there was a hot breakfast with a nice selection of choices -- the food was good and the breakfast room was meticulously clean-- the young man who cooked breakfast greeted everyone and made it clear that he was there to please and accommodate, plenty of parking, quiet (even though the location is in a very busy area), we enjoyed a swim in the pool, and there was popcorn and fresh baked cookies in the lobby during the late afternoon.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MaryA2012
Vero Beach, Florida
Reviewed May 28, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel with my son's basketball team for Sunshine State Games two years in a row. The rooms are always clean and well supplied. The staff is friendly and helpful. The free breakfast is also a plus. The location is convenient to everything. Each room is supplied with a microwave and mini-fridge. My only complaints are that the wi-fi does not work and the pool is small.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank sminman22
Savannah, Georgia
Reviewed May 26, 2012

Got in late (around midnight). Four of us in a 2 queen room. Good nights sleep. Everyhing was clean, and needed nothing. Desk staff was exceptionally nice and cheerful, for midnight especially. Free breakfast was a little plain, but had everything. Could have used some skim milk. Fitness center was good, but had a slightly sour smell, and could use some disinfectant wipes or at least some hand sanitizer. Didn't use the pool. Would definitely stay here again; great night's sleep in comfortable beds. Room was pretty standard, but bathroom was very large and the shower was good. 32 inch lcd tv was nice to have.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Kyle H
Niceville, Florida
Reviewed May 25, 2012

We had a one night stay over here and I would certainly stay here again when in G'ville. The location is great if you are traveling on I-75 as it is just off of the exit. Good proximity to a variety of restaurants and shopping. It is also quite convenient to the university where we went to visit the Butterfly Rainforest. The room was clean with all the usual amenities. The staff was very pleasant and accommodating. They have very nice complimentary breakfast with hot food, cereal, juices, donuts, waffles-just about anything you could want for a solid breakfast and the coffee was excellent! In the evening they have a popcorn machine in the lobby. Everything in the room worked fine with the exception of the wireless internet. It worked when we first arrived but later in the evening, upon returning from dinner, we could not get any access. When I went downstairs to check, they apologized and said their whole system was down. We never did get back on, but fortunately we are able to survive without internet access (one night only though-then possible withdrawal kicks in, lol!). Overall, I will confidently recommend this location in Gainesville and be willing to try other Sleep Inn hotels in other areas due to this positive experience

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family