TripAdvisor

Reserve a Table
Tue, 11/12
8:00 PM
Reviewed September 2, 2019

I enjoyed a birthday dinner at Rose Plantation with my sisters.

The restaurant is very good, but still needs some refinement. The atmosphere is about the best this art of Florida has to offer. Lovely dining areas, beautiful decor, and bucolic setting overlooking a lake and manicured lawns. We were seated on the side porch, which is weatherproofed. They have been thoughtful enough to install sound absorbing panels on the ceiling, so it is anything but noisy, although there is still an energizing buzz.

The tables are well spaced and the seating comfortable. Food is served on old style mismatched china adding to the charm. The service is warm and friendly, a little familiar but never too familiar. Additionally, service is prompt, that could be the cause of one of the restaurants issues.

I started with the Mushroom and goat cheese soup which I highly recommend. Creamy with goat cheese and tasting primarily of mushrooms with a little kick of heat that builds as you enjoy it. Lovely. I ordered the Prime Rib, rare, and it was about the best I have had in years. Tender, rare as ordered, very nicely seasoned and juicy. About perfect. It was served with Jus and a horseradish sauce on the side but I barely used them. The Jus was a bit on the salty side but the horseradish sauce had a wonderful herbal quality to it. The Creamy Whipped Potatoes were nice, but not exceptional and the green beans, flecked with bacon were very nicely cooked. I would have preferred a little more al dente, but they were an appropriate iteration of a steakhouse standard. The Banana Cream Pie that we shared at the end was light and pilled high with whipped cream. Impressive to look at and a delight to eat.

Ok, here are the issues...

I noticed a fleck of green on my plate that was not part of the meal. It was fresh veg of some sort, spinach I expect, so it was fresh and not a washing issue, but a plating issue. One bite of the rib was incredibly salty, a dense pocket of the seasoning on the roast most likely. One bite of the beans had stems.

Reports from one sister was that the Salmon was good, not exceptional. Additionally her Glazed Carrots and Brussels Sprouts were inconsistent. some of the sprouts were cold.

Lastly, the plates looked overfull. Generous portions are normally not an issue, but in this case I think the serving size overwhelmed the presentation. Perhaps the antique style plates, charming as they are, could be a little larger.

I would not hesitate to go back, knowing what to expect. The overall quality of the food, service and ambiance makes it worth it. I wish the Rose Plantation a long and successful run.

Date of visit: August 2019
Write a reviewReviews (269)

Reviewed August 31, 2019

Pleasant evening at Rose Plantation. We started with the pasta pockets, and caprese salad. I had the 4 oz prime filet and hubby enjoyed the prime rib special. The sweet potato casserole was very nice. Service was good and the pianist was low key and did not interfere with conversations.

Reviewed August 19, 2019 via mobile

Just a wonderful evening out excellent dinner n dessert friendly staff lovely place for a special nite out

Reviewed August 16, 2019 via mobile

By word of mouth you would think this restaurant was on par with outstanding restaurants in major cities across the US. I don't understand the hype. Just one example. I ordered the grilled duck breast entree. The duck was so overcooked-and totally dry, there wasn't one drop of liquid from the duck when sliced. And the vegetables medley of Brussels sprouts and squash were also so overlooked they were like mush. The dessert was excellent as was the service provided by our server. Dinner for four with four cocktails, four entrees, one soup, and two desserts, $202.00. In my opinion, for this visit, not worth the price.

Reviewed August 8, 2019 via mobile

The veal Marsala was incredible and worthy of much praise. The Cesar salad was one of the best in the area. The service was attentive and done well. The place is an attraction rather than just a restaurant.

7  Thank rogersober