TripAdvisor
Fruitland Park
Post
Inbox
Search

“Birthday Dinner Very Pleasant”

The Rose Plantation
Reserve a Table
Fri, 11/15
8:00 PM
Reviewed August 8, 2019 via mobile

The veal Marsala was incredible and worthy of much praise. The Cesar salad was one of the best in the area. The service was attentive and done well. The place is an attraction rather than just a restaurant.

Date of visit: August 2019
7  Thank rogersober
Write a reviewReviews (270)

Reviewed August 8, 2019

We (my Mom, my sister and I) enjoyed a wonderful lunch at the Rose Plantation. It is lovely, yummy and the staff is friendly and attentive. The grounds are beautiful and the interior is as well.

Date of visit: August 2019
Reviewed July 31, 2019 via mobile

I had never been, stopped by because it was close and boy it was a real treat. I had the lobster crab bisque and a caprese grilled cheese, delicious. My server was carrie and she was such a delight. I will be returning with friends to share this wonderful place. If your in the area diffiently stop in.

Reviewed July 28, 2019

Excellent reprieve from the same-old, low cost, low quality Villages fare.
Some reviewers think this place is 'pricey'. However, if you look carefully at high-end chains (such as Ruth's Chris, Capital Grille, other steak house or seafood places etc.) the Rose Plantation is excellent value for very high quality and without the chain type of surroundings. In fcat, is is significantly less expensive than any of those steak/seafood places and has a lower mark up on drinks.
We searched for 'seafood' near The Villages and just happened upon it.
It is also not far off price-wise from the Bonefish Grill, which always seems packed. It is also a consistent quality place, but a very different vibe from Rose Plantation.

Great service, nice wine and other drinks selection at fair prices.
The quality of the food was excellent. The only minor gripes - no separate gluten-free menu (but they will modify dishes to get to gluten-free) and a limited dessert menu the night we were there.

My wife had a shrimp cocktail with crab meat (almost all the appetizers had crab in some form or another) and chicken picatta, while I had the pasta purses (the buttery sauce was superb and very well presented) and a special of crusted flounder, stuffed with crab meat. The flounder was very good indeed, though not too much crab meat. Not a problem because I couldn't finish it.

There was a choice of 2 sides, which were ample for any appetite.

There is a dress code, which actually is a good thing and makes the place feel more special.
Otherwise really lovely surroundings and close to the Villages, where there is a lack of such quality food in unpretentious, historic surroundings. A real gem of a place.

Reviewed July 27, 2019 via mobile

Had dinner at Rose Plantation last evening. Seated at our request on the enclosed porch. Could hear the piano in the background as we dined... not intrusive on conversation but yet adding to the great ambience. Ordered a Cab which was being offered as a special for $67 per bottle.... quite excellent. Meals were chicken Marsala, chicken Milano, salmon, and catfish... all very good except the catfish. I noticed my wife had eaten only 1/3 of of one of the two large pieces of catfish... when I asked why she said it tasted odd... I tried a bite and had to admit it was at best peculiar tasting... to the degree I would have been concerned to consume... at that point it was late and my wife as is her fashion accepted the distressing meal with her normal grace ... not wanting to spoil the evening for the other couple. I was quite surprised though when neither waitress upon seeing 90% of the meal was unconsumed did not ask if something was wrong. I write this now knowing we should have respectfully complained... $30 for two bites of catfish and sweet potatoes is really quite a poor result... Rose plantation has always been a mixed experience for us... great ambience, expensive for the area, and unique... first time with another couple was and outstanding experience made more so by an excellent and effervescent waitress clearly on the top of her game... focused on customer satisfaction. Second was almost a deal breaker... a very unimpressive but still quite expensive luncheon.... last night was enjoyable but still disappointing ... $200 for the four of us with one inedible meal. It is the details that separate the great from the average... Rose Plantation misses on the details and relies on the ambience excessively... that leaves them tarnished