TripAdvisor
Fruitland Park
Post
Inbox
Search

“Large Group; Great Visit!”

The Rose Plantation
Reserve a Table
Tue, 11/12
8:00 PM
Reviewed July 9, 2019 via mobile

Our group has lunch once a month at different restaurants and this was our first meal at the lovely Rose Plantation. There were 12 of us and we were seated at two tables on the porch overlooking the lawn and lake. Our waitress was very proficient, explaining the menu options, taking our order (which always comes with exceptions!), keeping our drinks filled etc. Many in our group ordered the Blueberry Grilled Cheese as part of a Soup (or Salad) & Sandwich item. It was a very nice change. Other sandwiches were very large. My chicken salad was very good! Desserts were a big hit! Banana Cream Pie was most popular. Many of the group were looking forward to a return for dinner, including special occasions like anniversaries or birthdays.

Date of visit: July 2019
Write a reviewReviews (269)

Reviewed June 28, 2019 via mobile

The restaurant is very pretty and so is the setting by the lake. Service for a group was unprofessional and disorganized for a place that pretends to be upscale. The specials were a good price but not mouthwatering. Many groups like this place, so will probably return; but not on my A list

Reviewed June 27, 2019

I’ve eaten there 6 times, lunch and dinner. Unfortunately the food has declined.
However the service we had from Gephart was very professional and friendly.
Maybe it was a bad night for the chef, but first of all the bread was gummy inside and we didn’t eat it. A nice shrimp cocktail was served. I just think when it’s for two people they should have 6 shrimp not 5. Worst of all the ceasar salad which we love.
The romaine lettuce wasn’t cold as should be with Caesar salad and no shaved Parmesan was disappointing.. I find lunch to be better at the Plantation. Prices aren’t cheap so that why I feel quality should be improved. I will be back FOR LUNCH.

Reviewed June 22, 2019

First let me go over the negatives. The seasoned green beans were not true Southern style. As everyone that grew up in the South knows green beans are supposed to be "cooked to death" so there is no crunch left in them. By Southern standards these beans needed at least another half hour. Of course people living here from other areas may not follow this same requirement.

But everything else in the dining experience for our group of four was darn near perfect.

We tried four different entrees: half rack of lamb; stuffed chicken breast; salmon; and yellow-tailed snapper cooked in parchment paper. Rave reviews for each dish! Unlike some of the posted reviews, each of our entrees came with two sides included. Among the four of us we had the aforementioned green beans; loaded baked potato; mashed sweet potatoes; cauliflower; creamed spinach and asparagus. Rave reviews for the latter items - and someone North of the Mason-Dixon line would probably even love the green beans. The crab cake appetizer was a perfect start for two to split!

Our server, Lori, did an outstanding job of explaining each dish. Giving us her favorites when asked. She even offered to split a spinach salad for my wife and I - just the right size for two!

We finished the evening with the Mile High Banana Cream Pie split by the kitchen into four plates. And, yes, it was that big! Each of us had a good size portion.

The price were reasonable for the quality received although I did think the price differences for some of the larger portions was a little high (half rack of lamb $30; full rack $48 : 4 oz filet mignon $32 (I think); 8 oz $48).

And one of the owners that came by during the meal even told us that if we request it they can "cook our beans to death."

That would make it pure perfection...

Reviewed June 9, 2019

What a delightful restaurant. The food was gourmet. The service very professional and courteous. The setting is beautiful and the building is wonderfully decorated. The ambiance is exceptional.
The Rose Plantation is a great example of “you get what you pay for.” My wife and I have eaten in most of the “above grade” restaurants in the area and this is by far the best. In fact, the entire experience reminded us of some of the fine restaurants we have dined in Europe.
We will return when we entertain out of town guests and on other special occasions.