“Across a Park”

Ranked #17 of 29 Hotels in Fort Walton Beach
Alabama
“Across a Park”
Reviewed February 21, 2013

We stayed two days in the room next to the office which is of course the front. We did not have any "breakfast" during our stay but it has already been described. The cleanliness is mediocre. Did see one minuscule roach in the bathroom. As we unpacked, then closed the door, decided to return to the car and the door handle came off - the gentleman in the office immediately took care of the door handle. The evening gentleman is not too talkative but the day receptionist (lady) is fabulous. The drawback for us was the four lane road steps from the front but I was aware before booking and took ear plugs which helped a bit. Would I return - not sure but I did receive what I was paying for.

Room Tip: Room in the back are quieter.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Central Florida
Reviewed February 4, 2013

I was greeted cheerfully with a hello in the morning. There was a small breakfast: orange juice, coffee, rolls, bagels and cream cheese (or jellies) with a toaster.
Two cereals in a dispenser (rice krispies and some flakes).
they had half and half packets for the coffee, powdered cream or milk.
There are two tables and four chairs....or you can take it back to your room.

Check in was efficient with a young man. I was asked if I wanted upstairs (no elevator) or down.
There is a handicapped ramp and one handicapped parking spot. I told him non-smoking room.

Rooms were FINE. Flat screen visio tv with a remote, mini fridge, mini microwave. small round table and two chairs. Iron and ironing board.

Cars in the parking lot were fairly new and the other tennants were fine.

Cons:
One light over the bed did not work..the stem was broken.

Room did need a little paint where wall was patched..but was presentable.
You can tell this was a nice place at one time..and it is in pretty good repair.

I played with the lock to get it to lock on exit...make sure you check.

There was a milk bottle from a previous tennant that was left under the air conditioner.
It was not clearly visible so I can see how it could be overlooked.

I am darn near PHOBIC about what I call "bad bugs". I dont use the r word..and cover the photos on the RAID can. I brought my gallon of "home Defense"...and sprayed the room very well...THERE was no sign of critters...IF they were there I would have found dead ones.

I got this via Priceline (as did someone else, same stay). I was dissappointed when I learned of this hotel, even more so after some reviews...BUT pleasantly surprised after I got there.

Would I stay here again? YES. But I would check current reviews..and maybe not book that far out. RACK rate with taxes was cheaper than Priceline and cancellable.

This is a small hotel. Room size was fine. The alarm clock worked. Free wifi.
Not much in the way of resturants in area to walk to.
Nice park across the street and you can see water from the hotel.

I did walk in the lobby later in the morning and no one was there..I guess the clerk took a short break. Wasn't a problem for me. I left the keys and got a cup of coffee and a roll to go.

I give it five stars for what it is..a budget hotel.

There was shampoo, bar soap, 4 paper cups (non microwaveable). The towels were displayed nicely (where they do that thing with the wash cloths)..and the tissues had been shaped as a flower or something to be fancy.

They did only have one condiment packet of sugar/creamer for the coffee...TRUST ME the in room coffee was awful..just go to the lobby. also I think you can get extra packets in the lobby if you need them.

Breakfast served 6 to 9 am I think.

Restaurants (I noticed) in the area: Whataburger (drive)...and IHOP (walk).
Publix (drive) has free coffee and nice deli sandwiches made to order.

For a nice meal the crab trap (drive across bridge) had views of the water and dolphins playing.

Hope this helps. Oh Need to call 800-800-8000 for hotel and they did try to sell me a bunch of something. That was weird...

Room Tip: No elevator. Ask for smoke free and they do allow pets. I liked the second story rooms...you can se...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Foxes999
TALLAHASSEE
Reviewed January 10, 2013

I enjoyed my stay in Super 8. There were a couple of things that needed to be repaired and washed. The tissue holder was loose and coming out the wall, the bedspread smelled old and needed a good washing and there needs to be a larger space for the continental breakfast..Overall the bed was comfortable.:)

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Super 8

2 Thank SHERLON R
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 18, 2012

I've stayed at Super 8 motels in the past and they have always been clean but this time it was different. Saw roaches, a few. The floor was dirty, air was stale. The room a/c unit was poor. Highway noise was unbearable. Bed was uncomfortable and smelled of bleach. When we checked out we were not asked of our stay. And I was exhausted from the night before of no sleep to even complain. I just wanted to get the heck out!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Super 8

Travelers are raving about these Fort Walton Beach hotels

Reviewed November 8, 2012

The room seemed fine until we found roaches in our room and crawling on our stuff now I'm praying they didn't get into our 2 month olds and 5 yrs stuff thanks for ruining my trip now I need to go threw everything and waste a day of my vacation

• Stayed November 2012