“Ramada- Fort Walton”

Ranked #11 of 29 Hotels in Fort Walton Beach
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Ramada- Fort Walton”
Reviewed April 5, 2012

After reading several reviews, I was a person that loved our stay here! The staff were all phenomenal! They were really friendly, our cleaning lady and her supervisors were the best! As most reviews say this is an older hotel, and it is not the RITZ CARLTON, however, it was clean, and met all of our needs! I have a one year old son, that had a blast, in the pools, splash park, and most of all the ocean. We experienced several of the amenities the hotel had to offer, and were satisfied with all of them! I recommend staying here, and we are planning a trip back here next spring. I did miss however, nightlight, this hotel, really does not have any, They have PLENTY of room, out back for a live band, OR SOMETHING, this would have been the icing on the cake, as I could have brought my son, to see it with me. Thanks Again Ramada staff for a wonderful stay.

Room Tip: We had a court yard view, at first we wanted to move to a ocean front, but we ended up loving our lo...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Yield-ramadafwb_123, Manager at Ramada Plaza Fort Walton Beach Resort/Destin, responded to this review, September 22, 2012
I am so happy to hear that you had such a great time here and found the staff to be so friendly. It will be great to have you back next year. If your visit falls a little later in the spring you will be able to enjoy the music on the Grotto pool deck or out at our Beach Bar.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
  • Arabic first
North Atlanta, Georgia, United States
Reviewed April 3, 2012

While we booked our vacation during the busiest time of year and and 2 days shy of spring break, we were able to get a room here. Because I used to travel for business alot, I researched the room layout and floor layout when booking, and we got one of the last 3 rooms available during spring break of 2012. I also took the time to call Ramada directly and see if we could upgrade to a beach front view. The people at the desk told me that all beachfronts were taken, and that the first floor was an abstructed view anyway, so the gave me a 5th floor furthest from the elevator, ice machines, and traffic flow, it was the last room on the floor. Our view was of the grotto pool, and we could see what the traffic was like before we went out for the evening. Our room was quiet, clean-while a little small, it was plenty of room for two adults and a child. This was also one of the few hotels with beachfront access, and it was priced incredibly low. I wasn't expecting much, but ended up with a great vacation experience. The staff was helpful, the food at the BBQ shack near the grotto was excellent-we had burgers and fries, while expensive, was the best burger I've had in a long time. My only complaint was that it closed at 3 each day, and we would have loved to eaten there after a long day at the beach instead of having to get out in traffic to find somewhere to eat. I normally stay at 5 star hotels for work, and this definitely was an older hotel, but the amenities were awesome, my child and husband had a great time, and it was so nice being able to enjoy a heated pool on the cooler evenings, the grotto pool and walk to the beach. You could also walk to the Crab Trap, and the Swamp and do a little shopping from the beach. There was a great tiki bar right on the beach and had we known we could rent chairs and umbrellas, we wouldn't have drug two heavy chairs and an umbrella down to the beach. After one day of this, we ended up renting chairs as it was way more convenient. We wouldn't have been as happy if we had been on a lower floor near entry way's or the elevator, as there were people everywhere at all hours of the night, but because we were on the top floor and near the emergency exits, it was very peaceful. The grotto pool is not heated, so the water is very cold in early April, but there is a heated pool that is smaller you can enjoy. The landscape is very lush and well cared for, and the beach was drug every morning early by tractor making it the most beautiful beach I've ever been on. I would defintely stay here again as long as I could get the top floor end rooms of the tower. Beachfront or Grotto Pool view. The parking is limited if the hotel is full, so you have to keep that in mind as well, we didn't have an issue on Thursday and Friday night, Saturday, we had to time dinner to get out and back before everyone else did so we didn't have to hike far to get to our room. I have stayed in other beachfront hotels that were older that were just nasty and cost 250.00 per night. There is also an Alvin's Island Gift and supply store on the property. They sell everything you might need for a beach vacation and some, while the staff isn't the friendliest, you can still buy what you need to make your trip enjoyable without having to go anywhere. I'm sure that the staff is not hired directly by the hotel. As they had a totally different attitude than the Ramada staff, but again, we were able to get what we needed. I wouldn't recommend this hotel for business or solo travel just simply because it is a busy hotel with lots going on. But for a family, it is great, as everything is very accessible and there are lots of options to make everyone happy.

Room Tip: Make sure to get top floor away from the elevator, and ice machines. If you have to stay on the 1st...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Stephanie C
Thank you so much for taking time to write your review. It sounds as though you and your family really explored the resort and enjoyed all of the amenities we offer. I am glad that the location of your room suited you so well. Feel free to request the same room when you visit again.
Reviewed April 3, 2012

We came with our 2 kids for a quick getaway. The hotel was ok, nothing to rave about. When u check in, if u pay with ur debit card, u r required to pay a $30 "security deposit", for what, I have no idea. If u book an oceanfront room, make sure to tell them u want a higher floor, otherwise u will be looking at a brick patio and plants instead of the ocean!!!! The pools r great for kids, but the food is way overpriced. Also, parking was a problem. The room was small, but nice. All in all, it was an ok stay, but we wont be back.

• Stayed April 2012
Thank you for writing about your experience. I am glad you and your children enjoyed the pools. I apologize that the purpose of the security deposit was not explained clearly at check in. The deposit covers potential charges to the room, as well as the wristbands that are issued to identify registered guests at our resort and is refunded at check out when the wristbands are returned.
Andalusia, Alabama
Reviewed April 2, 2012

We (2 adults, 2 children ages 8 & 3 months) enjoyed our stay at the Ramada Plaza Beach Resort. All of the staff was incredibly friendly and helpful. Josh from the security staff was awesome. He saw me struggling with my cart full of luggage and stopped what he was doing to help me take it to my room. We loved both the pools. We had a pool view room and our only complaint was that it was very cramped and the air conditioner was very loud. Overall it was very clean though. This resort is very large and can be a little cumbersome trying to get around with a little one but we managed. This is a great place to take children who are potty trained. The pools and splash pad are great for older kids. However, children who are not potty trained are not allowed in the large pool (even with swim diapers). This was a problem for us because our older son wanted to be in the large pool and we could not take the baby in. This was not addressed on the website so we were unaware of this policy prior to reserving our room. If they changed this policy, this would be an ideal hotel for any family. We ate breakfast and lunch at the cafe one day and lunch at the BBQ hut another day and the food was average. The prices are a little high but it was worth it not to have to leave the resort. Overall this is a great place to stay with older children - lots to do and the beach is beautiful. We would definitely go back if we had no children in diapers.

Room Tip: If you want a beach view you need to request 3rd floor or higher on the beach side. If you get 1st...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for bringing your family to our resort. I am pleased that you enjoyed the convenience of the amenities we have for the adults and children as well.
Destin, Florida
Reviewed March 27, 2012

Allow me to first say this was my "second" booking for staying at this property. My previous reservation was for a "beachfront" room for three nights. I looked forward to waking up and seeing the ocean sunrise. What I got was a first floor room with a view of a sand dune and people walking outside my room on the cemented area. Needless to say, I immediately returned to the front desk and they refunded my money.

This time I made sure to book a higher floor beachfront room and looked forward to hanging by the pool and swimming up to the grotto bar. The grotto was closed despite it being Spring Break in the area. Walking over the pool bridges adjacent to the grotto smelled of cat urine. The hallway to the room smelled musty like an old Key West motel.

The room facing the ocean did not have an odor. The bathroom is bright, but bad lighting for makeup ladies. The bathroom counterspace is minimal. The electric outlet is above the light switch on the entering wall, not near the sink or counter. There was a large flat screen tv and two DOUBLE beds, not queen (just so you know). The room was clean overall. There was also a small coffee maker, not Keurig but only brews one cup at a time, a small refrigerator, and a microwave. A hinged door opened up onto the balcony. I mention hinged because it may explain all the slamming door noises all night long! The condensation from the upstairs room dripped onto my balcony leaving a puddle.

There was soooo much noise between kids running up and down hallways, slamming doors at all hours and people holding loud conversations in the hallways. You could also hear the water running upstairs from the shower and toilet being flushed.

I did pack up early on my day of departure and was ready to leave but decided to lay out by the pool. The sound of the waterfall was relaxing. The water temperature was quite cold, not a heated pool. I believe they list a heated pool on the hotel map but my friend went in there and it was cold also. I overpaid for a chicken sandwich at the onsite BBQ which did not sit well in my stomach. Yep, I was ready to leave at this point. Unfortunately, I frequent this area but would not recommend staying here. :(

Room Tip: If you want a beachfront room with a view, make sure you have a higher floor. The courtyard views h...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank domyownstunts
Thank you for your feedback. I am pleased to hear that you were able to relax and enjoy the waterfall while visiting.
Moultrie, Georgia
Reviewed March 25, 2012

I read all of the reviews before booking. Most reviewers said they either loved or hated it and I'm one of those who hated it. Below are some bullets about my stay and what others should know. Please keep in mind that I NEVER write reviews on any place to eat or stay BUT had to because of how terrible this place was.
1. We usually book on Hotwire but I went straight through Marriott to book. I never pay over $100/night and ALWAYS end up with AWESOME hotels... I paid $151/night here and was extremely disappointed.
2. Hotel is arranged very oddly. We were on in room 5021. The 5th floor is the top floor of the hotel for rooms. BUT it has 6 floors and the 6th floor is obviously conference rooms/ballrooms. During our stay, we saw 3 weddings on the beach. We noticed that because of all of the wedding participants we had to park on the opposite side of the hotel grounds and make a trek of a pretty good distance back to our room. Not bad for adults, terrible for two kids who'd spent the entire day out on the beach. After walking the 5K back to our room, we ride the elevator up to our floor and hear LOUD music playing in the elevator shaft and on our floor (elevators are in the middle of the floor and we were staying at the very end of one wing). Once inside our room, the music was so loud that we could hear the words to the song. I called downstairs to see if it was maybe a loud neighbor or something but found out that it was a jubilant wedding party right above our room. While Betty was sympathetic to the band that seemed to be in our room, she could only offer to have someone ask them to turn it down. Not being confident of the hotel staff's willingness to ask this of the bride and groom to turn it down, I went to the front desk. Sherlock was also sympathetic like Betty and could only offer to change us to a pool side room or we could just wait it out. Sherlock assured me that the music was to end by 10 p.m. (this was 9 p.m.). We decided to wait it out. Back in my room, the music was driving us CRAZY, especially my kids who were extremely tired from being on the beach all day. The music was bad but we COULD ALSO HEAR HIGH HEEL SHOES DANCING THE NIGHT AWAY!!!!! Made me question the construction. Who in the world constructs a hotel with ballrooms directly above hotel rooms????
3. Panama City is the spring breakers paradise- but even they've torn down the old, 1970's hotels. Ramada needs to gain this same idea. This hotel is poorly decorated at best, our floor reeked of Old Spice cologne. The whole hotel was in poor decorative taste and needs a serious overhauling. The bedspreads shown on the Ramada website are exactly the same as in the rooms, the bathrooms are in need of repair, and the entire place looks like it should've been bulldozed years ago. There was a wicker basket in our bathroom that had mold on the inside of it. Just another example of the hotel staff not being attentive.
4. The heated pool was nice but very crowded. The "waterfall pool" was cheaply constructed and looked cheesy and was obviously filled with spring water. It was as cold, if not colder, than the ocean.
5. The only staff that even spoke to us was the front desk staff. No other staff member even said "Hi" in passing. When I spoke with the maid, she had a look on her face that almost seemed to say, "Umm.. what do you want from me?"
6. The beach is fantastic. But, it's the same beach that hundreds of other hotels sit on- please keep that in mind.
7. The staff at Alvin's Island have the worst attitudes in AMERICA!!!!

Bottom line, this hotel is dreadful. Do not let the pictures fool you. You can stay in a Motel 8 or a La Quinta Inn for less money and have the same amenities. If you are used to staying in a Crowne Plaza, Hilton, something nicer than a Motel 8, you will not like this hotel.

Room Tip: Find a different hotel.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank windy9827
I appreciate you taking time to review your stay. We are planning lots of upgrades to our rooms and hope that you will return to a better experience.