“Great place, would go back”

Ramada Plaza Fort Walton Beach Resort/Destin
Ranked #8 of 29 Hotels in Fort Walton Beach
louisiana
“Great place, would go back”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2007

My husband and I went to Fort Walton Beach the first week of October 2007. The Hotel is old but very well kept and maintained. The service was great and the gardens were beautiful. Our room was a balconey view of the beach and had small fridge with a freezer and we also had a microwave so we were able to keep food and cook. This saved us from having to eat out every day. The bathroom had a hair dryer and an endless supply of towels. The restaurants and snackbar on the property are very nice but pricey. There are 2 pools, one of which has a concealed grotto bar under a waterfall. Looks beautiful but the pool temperature was very cold. There is also a heated whirlpool and places to sit down along walk ways of the gardens for some alone time. If you have kids, there is also a kiddies pool area. Some rooms are so close to one of the pools that you can step out your room and straight into the pool 6 foot from your door. How handy is that? The Beaches are kept clean and swept every morning. Deck chairs with umberellas are available for $25.00 a day. As for the beach, well the water doesn't come any prettier then the Emerald Coast. It's colour and clarity is truely something to see. Emerald green with sugar white sand, beautiful. We were a walk away from the pier and Floyds restaurant with the Craptrap.
Overall our experiance was wonderful and we would definately go back.
Cheryl

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
  • Arabic first
Baton Rouge, LA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2007

A great hotel for kids. With the beach, sprayground, and baby pool right on sight, we never had to leave the hotel. We did venture out for dinner one night, but ate our other meals at the boardwalk next door. The rooms were average, but ours had a balcony overlooking the pools. The room was clean, and had probably been recently updated. If you're looking for luxury, this is not the hotel for you, but if your looking for an average place to stay where the kids will be entertained, then look no further. We will definitely be going back. There is no private beach, by the way. The public park and boardwalk are on either side, but even over the Labor Day weekend it wasn't overcrowded.

• Liked — Pools and beach access
  • Disliked — older hotel
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
USa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2007

First of all I only usually stay at Marriotts and nice upscale hotels. And I stay at those types of places for a reason because of the service, and clean enviorment.

Ok so I go to this scum bag hotel with a friend for the wknd. And try to have a positive attitude needless to say I did not choose this one. I just went to go on a trip. I will say that the ocean view and sand and beach were beautiful, but that had nothing to do with the hotel.

It was totally from the 60's, the ceiling was falling down throughout the hallways, dirty carpet with stains, smoke filled hallways, Once in the room I pulled back the 1968 era looking comfertor that was on the nasty dirty bed. And there was about 20 black hairs in my sheets when I checked in, in both beds.

The maids came and changed the sheets in front of us and assured us that there are black hairs in all the sheets and blankets, it's from the WASH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I almost threw up. I sware that is what they said. And the patio door had a huge gap in the weather stripping and perfect for roaches to crawl right in. Oh yeah the rat running in the parking lot-- yeah. I was scared to sleep. Okay made it through one night, and the breakfast was aweful, there were dirty plates. And the buffet was really shady.

Then as my friend was in the shower that next day she noticed BED BUGS And was attacked by them the first night on her hands and tried to think positive but then was sure that is what they were. Bed bugs are pretty much human lice. It was the nastiest place to stay. We left and went to a super nice hotel in Sand Destin. Bottom line is that it is not worth it to go cheap. It's just not, the staff was rude and very odd looking.. Don't go there!!!! Unless you like bugs, dirty rooms and a rude staff then go and have a blast! The pool is dirty and old the grotto bar is old and really cheap looking.

If you like to stay at nice places then go stay at one ----this place is so low class.

Stayed August 2007
3 Thank ClassyTravler

Travelers are raving about these Fort Walton Beach hotels

Poland, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2007

my husband and i just returned from a 5 day stay at the ramada. for the life of me i cannot understand the bad reviews. this place reminds me of a caribbean destination. the grounds were beautiful. we stayed at the "motel" part of the complex that people said smelled and was horrible. NO WAY!!! our room was small--we weren't ballroom dancing---but clean and neat. our beds were comfy, plenty of towels, a refrig, coffeemaker, and shower and toilet separate from mirror and sink, blowdryer and iron and board---a table and chairs, desk---2 phones and tv with many stations . when we walked out of our room--just outside the door we had a view of the ocean and we were steps from the pool.

tho other section is ocean or poolview with a balcony--but more $$ we loved where we were--didn't spend much time there except to sleep and get ready anyway.

the ramada has an indoor restaurant and a really good pool outside restaurant. paul is the best---he's the cook---we enjoyed our lunches.

there is a splash pool for the kids---we used it too---after all we are only 54 and 64.

there are 2 pools---one with a 5 story waterfall with a swimup bar. lots of lounge chairs at the pool.

the ocean and beach are beautiful. we had no car which is why we chose the ramada. right next door is the boardwalk with some shops and restaurants. we enjoyed all of them. howl at the moon is there also. we had a convenience store across the street where we got our beer and wine for the room.

one evening we took a cab(there is public transportation 50 cents) to the marina in destin---$12 bucks each way---we walked around had a beer---just chilled.
everynite we got some chairs--went down to the beach, had a few and listened to the water--awesome.
also by the boardwalk--there is a pier that costs a buck to walk on---but people fish and we saw some marine life.

the staff at the ramada were the best--from the checkin crew to the lobby bartender who opened my store bought wine cuz i didn't have a corkscrew. i would recommend this place to anyone.

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — wish it was all-inclusive
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank iyamscifi2
Little Rock
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2007

Hotel is right on the beach. Great security. Planned children's activities during summer. Nice restaurant but a bit expensive for my taste. Room was clean but seemed a bit older than I expected. Staff very friendly. Beautiful gardens and pools. Gift shop by pool has everything you might need and souvenirs, too. Plan to go back to this hotel every summer from now on.

• Liked — Private beach access
  • Disliked — Price should have been lower considering age of hotel I thought.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank mogoshien
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2007

This hotel is well worth the money, just about $210 per night for beachfront views, 2 beds, clean rooms, micro and frig, and the beach on your doorstep. We stayed for 4 nights which was cheaper than a condo rental of the same standard. There were 2 grandparents, ourselves, and our 4 year old daughter. We walked over to the Gulfarium, Alvins Island near the bridge, Crab Trap next door, and only had to use the car when we went to Big Kahunas, the zoo, shopping, and the really great Golden Corral for the BEST buffet we've ever had. The best tshirts are at Walmart, by the way, cheap and good (2 for $10). The splash garden was perfect when getting out of the ocean and getting rid of any extra sand the boardwalk showers missed. The pool(s) are the best thing about this hotel (other than the beach). There is plenty of room for everyone to have their own space due to the shape of the pool around the lovely waterfall. You never feel crowded in even on a busy day, which puts this hotel way above the rest I've spent time at in Destin/Ft Walton. I grew up spending every summer at the Bay Club in Sandestin and other resorts, this pool tops them all. We will be returning to this hotel next time we are in America (we are based in London England) and are sure the same wonderful time will be had by all.

• Liked — The ppol(s) were amazing and gave everyone lots of personal space.
  • Disliked — Everything was nice for us.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank jag123uk2016
Smiths Station, AL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2007

I booked the hotel then read some reviews on here and became a little nervous, but went any way. I must say We were all pleasantly surprised. I went with my wife, our 2 year old son and my wife's friend.

The ONLY negative about the hotel was the room size. We can't really say it's a negative though, because we expected a standard sized hotel room. If you are expecting a condo, don't go here. We stayed in the older part of the resort which has hotel rooms not on the beach. From what I could tell the beach view rooms with balconies are the same size.

The positives about the Ramada Plaza Beach Resort in Ft Walton are many.

The location is superb... right on the beach, no roads to cross. Walking distance to the fishing pier and "The Boardwalk" which has nice restaraunts and a club. On friday afternoon at the beach entrance near a little tiki bar at the hotel there was live music, the guy was actually pretty good and sang country and rock, a small crowd was gathered around and it was very nice.

The grounds are beautiful and the pools are wonderful... One has waterfalls and ranges from 3 - 10 feet deep and also has a swim up bar. The other pool is a basic rectangle and is right by the kiddie pool. This resort has one of the nicest pools I have ever seen.

Kids will love the kiddie splash park (my son did, see the pictures) he played for hours and had the time of his life, The park is enclosed so kids cannot escape and has chairs, tables and umbrellas for the adults, when you aren't playing with your kids. The park is bigger than it looks in the pictures.

The room was very clean and quiet, we didn't hear any noise from outside. The air conditioner blew really cold air. The furnishings, sheets, and floorings all seemed pretty new and were clean. We are non smokers and got stuck with a smoking room, but it did not smell like smoke at all. The room was small but fine for a short stay. it had a small fridge and coffee maker and 2 double beds.

We ate the breakfast buffet at the onsite cafe. It was $10 for adults and free for children. it seemed expensive but was pretty good, about the quality of a Shoney's breakfast buffet, maybe a little better.

The staff was friendly and checkin checkout was a breeze, the lobby is beautiful as well.

I would definitely stay here again, but only for a stay of 1-3 days. I usually prefer a condo that has more space for longer stays. I highly reccomend the Ramada, you should ignore the negative reviews, some people just can't be pleased with anything in life. We were very pleased and hated we could only stay one night.

• Liked — Pools, Splash Park, Location
  • Disliked — Small Rooms
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family