“It was an "ok" experience.”

Wyndham Garden Fort Walton Beach Destin
Ranked #8 of 29 Hotels in Fort Walton Beach
Lawrenceville, Georgia
“It was an "ok" experience.”
Reviewed June 17, 2014

We arrived knowing that we were not getting an ocean view room which was fine by us and were placed on the first floor in a corner room. We were a bit surprised when we saw the room. Basically, there was a four foot cement wall between us and the beach. It felt like we were staying in the basement of this hotel. I remember my wife on the phone talking to her sister saying,"yeah, they put us in the basement of the hotel". The room overall was in great condition. It was very clean and the room was huge. I'm guessing because it was a corner room. The bathroom was very small. The bathroom door almost touched the toilet when you opened it.

Another small issue that we had was these flying bugs. They looked like moths. At around 8pm in the evening, we decided to go to the pool. We opened the door and a few dozen moths instantly came into our room, flying everywhere. My wife and son freaked out. I immediately closed the door and realized the moths were hovering all around the outside wall light that was attached next to our door. I grabbed a towel and killed all of them. They were flying all over our beds, etc. I looked out the window at the lamp and saw a few hundred of them all over it. I opened the door again and another few dozen came in. I instantly shut the door again. We were basically stuck in our room due to these bugs. I came to the conclusion that they weren't going away. I had to go outside with my towel and killed all of them before my wife and son can come out.

The last issue I had at this this hotel (the most serious one) was the tile flooring that was outside. It had rained for a few hours and stopped. I went outside to grab something out of my car and almost slipped due to the wet tiles. I mean, I'm not a clumsy guy and I wasn't in a rush.The wet tiles were so slippery. I would have been seriously injured if I didn't find my balance. What if an elderly person or a child was walking on these wet tiles? The funny thing was, as soon as I slipped and caught myself, another gentleman saw me and warned me that these tiles were slippery. Please take care of this issue before someone gets seriously hurt.

Overall, the pool was nice, the staff was nice and the free beach chairs/umbrella was a nice option. I'm not sure if i would stay here again though.

This isn't related to your hotel but I'll share it anways. I just bought this cool "fort walton" tshirt and got it all wet. I decided to hang it outside on the cement wall for a few hours for it to dry. I went back for it and it disappeared. Someone stole it. How sad, it was only $7 at the store. And someone figured they needed to steal it.

2 Thank em1bob
WyndhamGardenFwb, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Fort Walton Beach Destin, responded to this review, June 25, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking time to provide feedback on your stay. It is very important to us as it helps us improve our products and services. We sincerely express our apologies for the inconveniences you were subjected to while staying with us.

Firstly, we sincerely regret your booked room did not meet your expectations. Although we expect each of our rooms to be a wonderful product for our guests, we would've gladly offered you an upgrade based upon availability. Upgrades are available on request at a small convenience fee.

Secondly, although it is partially beyond our control, please accept our apologies for the flying bugs outside your rooms. Our staff would've gladly assisted you with the situation or moved you to another location, had we've been informed. We want our guests to feel comfortable in their rooms at all times, thus it would've been our pleasure to assist.

Lastly, we can't express enough our concern for your tile situation. We are glad no harm came to you and, although our exterior tiles are slip proof, I would like to let you know that we will be re-evaluating it to add additional safety measures. We appreciate you letting us know of this situation. Based on your feedback, we failed to deliver a paramount experience to you. Please feel free to give me a call to discuss this situation further. Should you choose to visit us again, we will work harder to deliver the quality and service you'd come to expect from the Wyndham Garden Fort Walton Beach.

Respectfully,

Wyndham Garden Fort Walton Beach

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (238)
Georgia
Reviewed June 17, 2014

There was nothing bad about this place. The room was close to the pool & ocean. We were facing the road but there was a nice view of the bay area. Everyone was friendly, every time we passed any staff members they always greeted us. The rooms & all shared areas were clean. They had pool games and different actives everyday. A movie one night at the pool. Two beach chairs come with the room which was a bonus b/c neighboring hotels they're $30/Day. The food from the restaurant is great also. There is unlimited DVD rentals which was great for night time. They have lemonade in the afternoons close to the lobby which was a nice treat.

Room Tip: Oceanside High floors with balcony would be nice.
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your "perfect review" on a "perfect visit". It brings us great joy to be able to exceed our guest's expectations and we are happy you enjoyed your stay. We pride in having the friendliest staff around and maintaining the highest standards of cleanliness. Once again, thank you for sharing your experiences with the world and we hope to see you again soon.

Warm Regards,

Andalusia, Alabama
Reviewed June 16, 2014

This hotel was a great place to stay. The kids enjoyed the pool along with the slide. Great access to the beach. The room was nice and clean. The staff was very friendly and helpful. I would stay here again.

1 Thank homemademother
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you kindly for your feedback. We are glad to be a great place to stay for you all. We are happy the kids were able to enjoy the pool and that you found our rooms and beach access nice, clean and convenient respectively. We hope to see you and the family again soon!

Reviewed June 16, 2014

We had a great time and would highly recommend this location. Check in was a breeze. It is on the beach and they offer lots of amenities which were excellent. From playing basketball in the pool, free unlimited DVD's from the kiosk, face painting, popcorn and movies poolside, to the game room the kids were totally entertained. They also offered bicycles if you wanted to take a ride as well as 2 beach chairs w/umbrella included with the room. Our room had a king size bed with a partitioned area with bunk beds, xbox and free xbox games. They truly go the extra mile. We did not want to leave.

1 Thank Darlene S
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking time to provide us with your feedback. We are glad you were able to enjoy yourselves while staying at our property. We pride ourselves in offering the most amenities and value in the area. We are glad we were able to exceed your expectations and look forward to your return.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed June 16, 2014

We were at Wyndham Garden last week and enjoyed our stay. We had a one bedroom suite that had a corner view which was very nice. From our balcony, we could see a lovely view of the ocean and the pool as well. The unlimited dvd rentals (new movies) is a very nice option. The hotel is an older hotel but you see the staff constantly cleaning and upgrading (painting of outside) was in progress while we were there. All staff were very helpful and friendly. I must say one of the best staffs I have seen. I really do not have any complaints. I do have a couple of cons. If you are expecting plenty of room for two to sleep in a bed, please realize these are not queens but doubles. The bedroom is very small - two doubles with one pushed up against the wall and walking room only around the beds. However, we made it just fine. We didn't eat breakfast in the hotel. We walked into the restaurant to view the buffet one day during our stay and was not impressed considering the cost. These two cons were not a big issue however and we would consider staying here again. Thank you Wyndham Garden.

Dear Valued Guest,

We should rather say "Perfect Family for our Location". Thank you kindly for your wonderful feedback on your stay and your room tips to visitors. We are happy you enjoyed the view, our DVD's and the pools. We appreciate you noting how we constantly strive to keep the property clean and upgraded for our visitors and the friendliness of our staff. Moreover, we regret our suite bedrooms were a bit small for your taste. We try to maximize in size and value at all times so please note your feedback will be taken into consideration for future renovations. We also apologize for our your experience at the restaurant and will surely share the comments with their staff. We appreciate your business and look forward to your return in the future.