“Beach/Staff all it has going for it!”

Wyndham Garden Fort Walton Beach Destin
Ranked #7 of 29 Hotels in Fort Walton Beach
Reviewed October 11, 2012

This hotel has a couple of great things going for it. Its proximity to the beach, the fact that it’s not in Destin (avoid crowds) and two great pools. The reason it does not get much better ratings is because although the staff is friendly they don’t have a high standard of service. I’m not a germaphobe but the rooms were not clean. Hair from former visitors everywhere, same toenail clippings on the floor for 3 days and the worst part is I had to request cleaning service every day… NOT clean linens just clean the room, trash out, new towels, etc. I would stay here again only if I couldn’t find anywhere else.

Room Tip: rooms above pools only if you dont mind the noise...very thin walls
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
holidayinnresort, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Fort Walton Beach Destin, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2012

Dear Ms. Tracey;

Thanks for your business, and the time which you took to share your stay experience with us. We deeply apologize for the inconvenience you were subject to. Our hotel is in the green program. We put reuse linen signs on all the beds and towel racks. Nonetheless, we change them based on guest' s request during their stay. Again, please accept our apologies fo having cleaned your room at the high standards you expected. Our ultimate goal has always been to provide a clean and safe to guest like you. In your case, you failed. We would like you to know tht we are taking immediate actions to ensure this does not happen again. Your feedback is invaluable to us as we continue to focus on improving the product and service daily.

Reviewed October 1, 2012

I would like to say first off Cameron at the Front DESK is AWESOME...... There was 4 of us that went to Florida and we decided to stay at the Holiday Inn Resort and oh it was awesome.... It was the best girl weekend EVER...... The room was nice and the balcony was awesome the best part was the slide at the pool... and oh but not least the TIKI BAR... CJ was an awesome bartender.... WE WILL DEFINATLY COME BACK next time we are coming for a week.... Thanks for putting up with us...... <3 Athena, Candace, Ashley #1 and Ashley # 2 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
holidayinnresort, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Fort Walton Beach Destin, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2012

Dear Ladies;

We would like to thank you all for having chosen our hotel as your getaway spot from all the choices that were available to you. Addittionally, we want to thank you for taking time to share with other guests the wonderful experiences that you had here. Indeed, we feel fortunate to have the opportunity to host you. We really appreciate your feedback; and it is very invaluable to us in measuring our service performance. Our staff members including Cameron and CJ are excited to know that we exceeded your expectations. We can't wait to see you come back.

Reviewed September 30, 2012 via mobile

Hotel staff were great- location and beach great- tiki bar & staff awesome- water was wonderful! hotel grounds good but they - and rooms, need work. Old, not as clean as Expected, overall a bit neglected. Friends had room there too and felt the same. Overall loved the vacation at beach but may check out another hotel next time unless its upgraded. Tiki bar staff, service, and food was great, beach chairs and staff great.

• Stayed: May 2012
holidayinnresort, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Fort Walton Beach Destin, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2012

Dear our valued Guest;

Thank you for taking time to share your stay expereince with us. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay. As you may notice, before your review, we had a complaint regarding our renovation project and hot water. Therefore, in replying to your survey, we would like you to know we are in the process of refreshing our suites and standard rooms. Indeed, your feedback has well been considered. Thank you for your business and comments!

Reviewed September 28, 2012

No hot water for 5 days. We had a first floor room. They said they would change rooms for us. Why? So we could be inconvienced more? NO. They offered only to reimburse us half price and only for 3 days. The food at the restaurant was awful.We had 2 grkids with us, one on crutches. the next to the last day hardly no one at the beach we let the girls sit in the next chairs to us. Someone came by and tried to charge us. So we said no....we are leaving. Dont stay at this place.

Room Tip: go to another hotel
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family

Dear our valued guest;

First, we would like to thank you for the business and the time spent to fill out the survey for us. As we started our guest room renovations, during the process there have been some inconveviences, which we are addressing to minimize any disturbance caused by the project. Since we have four buildings, we have learned through some feedback like yours to focus on one building at a time. We apologize for the hot water inconvenience. Additionally, we will share your comments with the restaurant department so they can take immedaite actions to improve their service. Your comments are well appreciated.

Reviewed September 27, 2012

I've been staying in the Ft. Walton Beach area for 2 weeks out of every month this year since May. I've stayed at this property twice before this most recent stay. The other times, the property was average. Nothing spectacular nor abysmal. This most recent stay however was probably the worst experience I have had at a hotel either for business or pleasure in the past 20 years. First off, I was working nights during my stay. As such, I didn't have the need to shower as soon as I got up. Most days, I worked out, then showered and prepared for work. This past Monday, the water to the entire building I was in was shut off for the whole day. When I called the front desk to inquire, the young lady who answered the phone told me that I should have received a note on the door indicating that the water was going to be off. I never received such a note. In fact, there wasn't any note anywhere in the building. needless to say, I had to go to work without showering. Later that day, I talked to a different person at the front desk who said that the water shutoff was an emergency situation and it was done spur of the moment. A different answer than was given to me earlier.

The second complaint I had about my stay was the large amount of noise throughout the building during the day. I suppose the management chose this time of the year to perform room updating due to it being the slow season. Nevertheless, they should have given me a room in a part of the complex not under renovation. This is the start of the slow season and the parking lot looked half-empty during the week.

The third complaint I had was that one one day this week, I came back from working out downstairs only to find that my room door was propped open. There was no employee to be found on the entire floor. So, in effect, my personal belongings (including iPad) were left in an unsecured condition. I immediately went to the front desk to lodge a complaint with the manager on duty.

The fourth complaint I had was that there was terrible TV reception in my room. None of the network affiliate stations were viewable. The only channels that were viewable were stations like CNN, Fox and the Weather Channel. I complained about that as well. Speaking to a co-worker who stayed at this property previously, I found that the poor reception was problematic for him as well. He got around it by hooking up his iPad and watching Netflix. I didn't have the adapter cable and I saw no reason why a hotel with either cable or satellite service should have such poor reception property-wide.

I informed management that I would no longer consider this Holiday Inn for future lodging. I have three more extended trips to FWB this year and I will obviously choose another location for my lodging needs.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Gil1018

Dear our loyal guest;

We appreciate you took time to share these issues again wth us. We would like to express our apologies again for the inconvenience. We wish you accepted our service recovery offer. We are refreshing the property to make it more enjoyable.You are right about the renovaion timing. Nonethelesss, the best time to do this project is from September to February. Your feedback is well considered and will be shared with al team members, so we do not cause any inconvenience to our guests.
We hope you will give us another chance to have your business as our remodel is being done at one building at a time. When you come back, please ask to speak to the General Manager so we can make your stay a better experience.

Reviewed September 11, 2012

I stayed at this resort on my first trip ever to Florida in early August and loved it!

We had a bit of an issue checking in - we drove 12 hours overnight and ended up arriving earlier than planned and requested an early check-in. I work at a Holiday Inn so I knew this was not guaranteed and there was no problem here - however, even after the 4 pm check-in time our room was not ready. I was willing to wait for the upgraded gulf view room, but it ended up being about 530 pm before we could check in to the room. Housekeeping needs to be staffed properly - even in back to back sold out situations, there should not be multiple guests being turned away after the guaranteed check-in time.

The wait was worth it though - the room was amazing! Felt very private on the balcony, even though we were surrounded on both sides by rooms, never heard another guest.

The proximity to the beach is great, you literally walk out back of the hotel and there you are. The view as you walk over the dune deck takes your breath away - especially for someone seeing the Gulf for the first time!

Another issue - we tried calling down with a question on our 2nd night there and the front desk never picked up. Went downstairs to the reception desk and saw that the ast front office manager was hanging up on calls - when asked if that's what she had done, she just replied "well I was on another call..."

Cameron was great, helped answer our questions a few different times and the bartenders were awesome! Very friendly. Unfortunately Holiday Inn's emp. rate is unavailable the last week of November or we would be back - Pensacola Beach just doesn't look like it can best this place.

Can't wait to return!

Room Tip: Request a room in bldg A - the elevator opens up into the lobby. Balconies in A are also above the m...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mitchell2013
holidayinnresort, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Fort Walton Beach Destin, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2012

Dear our valued guest;

We really appreciate you took some of your precious time to share your stay experiences with us and other prospective and repeat guests. Additionally, we are honored to host you during your vacation here in Fort Walton Beach. Yet, we apologize for not having been able to check you in by 4:00 PM. On the other hand, we want you to know also that your feedback is very well considered. It gives us the opportunity to take immediate actions to improve our service flaws. After all , we are delighted to be able to upgrade you to a beachfront room. Thanks for sharing your everlasting moments with us.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

that says it all if you want a beach vacation.

rooms are fine. this was my second time here. beautiful view from the balcony. 2 pools. one would be great if you have young children. mine are grown and the second pool was fine for me. i love the proximity to the beach. this place is right on it. no bait and switch with so called 'beach access'.

will stay here again.

Room Tip: request gulf view. it's worth it.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
holidayinnresort, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Fort Walton Beach Destin, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2012

Dear our valued guest;

Your loyalty is very important to us. We would like to thank you for coming back to experience the beach, our amenities and features which our hotel has to offer. We are delighted to know you enjoyed your stay and intend to visit us again. Your survey is very invaluable to us and to other repeat and prospect guests. It gives us a sense of confidence and pride to celebrate the success of the daily improvement of our products and services. Indeed, it is a catalyst that fuels our motivation toward excellence. Thanks for your business and time!