“Great place to stay, VERY kid friendly!!!”

Wyndham Garden Fort Walton Beach Destin
Ranked #6 of 29 Hotels in Fort Walton Beach
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Great place to stay, VERY kid friendly!!!”
Reviewed August 26, 2011

My family and I had the best time ever in this hotel. They offer arts and crafts for the kids. The staff that did it (It was a girl with blond hair and a young African Amecan guy I am so sorry I cant remember the names..) were WONDERFUL with my children. The were friendly and fun. The crafts were well planned and suitable for children in our age group. We took advantage of the free movies they offer. The selection was mostly newer movies. The poolside movies were enjoyable as well. We watched Tangled our last night there. My kids were in heaven playing on the rock slide and watching the movie. We never made it to the other pool though. The beach access was perfect. There was a lot of seaweed our last few days (not the hotels fault of course) but who cares your in Florida! Our suit was very nice. I only have a couple of mild issues with it. The sofa is the single most uncomfortable thing to sit on, let alone sleep on the fold out bed. We weren't there much to have to sit on it so not a big deal for me. The beds weren't doing it for me either. It could have just been me though, I didn't sleep well all week. I would advise people to bring certain cooking things with them. For example something bake chicken in, hot pads, maybe even a slow cooker ( I know I didn't feel like cooking all week). I also wish there had been a broom in our room. A lot of sand was brought in from floats and what not, and it got tracked everywhere. So you have to walk on this all night and day until housekeeping comes. House keeping was awesome by the way. Very sweet ladies, always took care of what we needed. All in all we loved it, and are very thankful for the staff who made our first family vacation a great time. We will definitely be back. We enjoyed it so much my husband and I are strongly considering renewing our vows on the beach next year (it all depends on money though)
PS. The elevator in D building is sadly slow, I timed it one day and it took me 6 mins to get down stairs. This is slightly inconvienent, but it's more healthy to take the stairs anyway : )

Room Tip: We were in the D building on the 6th floor. The view was perfect!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
holidayinnresort, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Fort Walton Beach Destin, responded to this review, August 31, 2011
Dear Our Valued Guests;

We recognize how hard it could be to choose a place to spend your first family vacation. We are honored to be your choice. We would like to thank your family members and you for choosing us among the choices which were exposed to. We appreciate your business, and the time you took to share your experiences with others in the web. Again, thank you for telling all the great features and amenities which our property offers to family. We are a family oriented hotel. Yet, your testimomials well define our value, proucts, and services. As for the other issues, we promise you that we will do our best to address them, so your next visit can be even more enjoyable than this past one. Our objective focuses on delievering superior product and service. Daily continued improvement is key to our sucess. For, we appreciate our valuable and encouraging feedback.

We are looking forward to seeing you again.

Have a great day,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (236)
Columbia, Tennessee
Reviewed August 20, 2011

We decided last minute on Friday to head for Fort Walton Beach and booked online without researching anywhere else- we were in such a rush to hit the road from Tennessee. We were very pleased with the room, the free beach chairs, pools were nice, staff friendly. Family-oriented hotel with free DVD rental, bikes, pool games. We had a great time. We'll be back!
Our room behind building C was very lively during the day with music and lots of activity as it was directly behind the family pool with a waterslide and live music. Everything was quiet by 9 or 10PM. If you want a quieter room, ask for one in building C. We enjoyed the building as we have children.

Room Tip: If you want a more quiet room, ask to not be put in building C. This is directly in front of the la...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
holidayinnresort, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Fort Walton Beach Destin, responded to this review, August 24, 2011
Dear Our Valued Guest;

We thank you for having chosen our property as your home away from home during your last minute trip. We appreciate the trust which you bestowed on us. Your words are served as a testimonial for all the improvements, which we have continually strived to make day in day out to provide quality service to guests like you. We were glad to host you and your family members during the last minute vacation. Furthermore, it is our pleasure to see that you enjoyed all the offered features and benefits.

We are looking forward to seeing you again.

Sincerely
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed August 19, 2011

The tone for this trip was set when I checked in. The friendly lady behind the counter asked it it was "okay" if they upgraded me to an oceanview suite, since I was a Platinum Priority Club member. So instead of our family of four sharing a single room for four nights, we enjoyed a one bedroom suite with a full kitchen and balcony overlooking the pool and with a great view of the beach. Yes, it was okay!

Pros:
- Great white sand beach with beach service included with the room (umbrella and two chairs)
- Friendly staff
- Two pools; kids loved the water slide and basketball goals in the family pool
- Kid-friendly activities like pool-side bingo
- Free DVD rental, fairly new movies
- Kayak rental on site
- Water was surprisingly cool and refreshing for August
- Great sunsets

Cons:
- Lots of grass in the water (obviously beyond the hotel's control)
- Hotel room stayed cold (upper 60s) and thermostat is centrally controlled, but that's better than being hot
- No budget family dining nearby

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank BigTxDaddy
Dear Our Loyal Guest;

We thank you for the trust you put in our brand and our property. It was our pleasure to upgrade your room during your stay with us. We appreciate you took time to describe the pros and cons about our property to others via the internet. You have well said. We appreciate your feeback. On the other hand, We aplogize due to the fact the room was too cool. We will work with our department to address this issue. We would also like you to know that the other rooms have their own individual unit in case you do not want a suite in the future. We hope when you come back there will be no seaweed.

Thanks again, we look forward to seeing you again.
The Woodlands, TX
Reviewed August 18, 2011

We arrived on a Thursday afternoon for a long weekend getaway. We had reservations and arrived 45 minutes early and were told that they only had one beachfront suite available at that time. We took it but as soon as we saw it we were disappointed. We had paid for a beachfront room but were given a side view room on the third floor. The balcony was small and a palm tree blocked our view of the beach to the right. The kids were willing to accept the room but then the front door broke and that was the end of staying in that room. The hardware at the top of the door was stuck in such a way that you could not close the door. The balcony door was also hard to open and close. I called downstairs and asked to be moved to a different room when one came available and had to wait awhile but was finally put in a room on the 4th floor that had a great view. The room was clean and okay though I still think that the rooms are overpriced even for the view you get. My husband did not like the room, citing that the bedroom door kept sticking so that you could not open it easily if you closed it. We also never seemed to have enough clean towels and the room seemed dark. I found the outside amenities to be the best part. The dive-in movies and the umbrella/chair service are great. It was so nice to just go down to the beach and crawl into a chair and enjoy the dolphins swimming by. The young men and women that work on the beach are very friendly and accomodating. They definitely earn their money! The only bummer was that there was still seaweed washing up and at times it was thick (we were there from the 21st to the 24th). The water was not as green as I remember it. My daughter also was stung by a jellyfish the first day, but the restaurant was very helpful and gave her vinegar to put on the wounds. We ate in the onsite restaurant the first night and the food was very good. We also had pizza in the room one night from the restaurant and that was good as well. I think overall this is a great place to relax with your family as there are plenty of activities for everyone and Destin is right down the highway when you want a choice in restaurants.

Room Tip: Get a beachfront suite but not on the corner
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Evelyn B, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Fort Walton Beach Destin, responded to this review, February 25, 2016
Greetings Reviewer,

Thank you kindly for your feedback! It has certainly been a few years since your visit. We are now the Wyndham Garden Fort Walton Beach Destin Hotel. Throughout the years we have transformed into one of the favorite resorts in Fort Walton Beach. Under our new flag, we invite you back into the Wyndham Garden, to create a memory that will last for many generations to come.

Evelyn B.
Pasadena, California
Reviewed August 15, 2011

I was nervous about this hotel due to the recent negative reviews. However, I have stayed at other Holiday Inns and my experience has always been positive. I don't want to bore anyone with a lengthy review, so I'm going to keep it simple. Rooms were clean and spacious enough, staff was friendly, pool was nice, restaurant was good and reasonable, beach was beautiful. Yes, it would have been great to have a pen house suite, free food, free drinks etc., but that won't happen at this reasonable price. My family and I had a great time!!! Thank you Holiday Inn for helping make it possible.

Dear Our Valued Guest;

We would like to thank you not only for the business but also for the time which you took to share your wonderful experences with others via the internet. Your feedback underlines how much grogress we have made toward the continued improvement of our service and product. It is often said that more people would tell others about their bad experience than those who received the memorable experiences. Your review demonstrates the contrary. For, we greatly appreciate the efforts which you made to tell the real story about our property. We are excited to know that we made your stay a memorable one.

We are loking forwad to seeing you again.
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed August 12, 2011

We stayed at this facility for a week in May. The overall experience was nice, but the hotel could use some updating. The front desk was friendly and free parking was a huge plus. Our room looked like it had been recently updated, minus the bathroom, however the hallways and elevator left much to be desired. They were old, and I wasn't quite sure the elevator was going to make it. I'm also not a fan of the 'stucco' style walls, which may have dated the property even more than it should have been. We walked through the main building with the lobby, and it looked completely updated. Our building fell short of these expectations.

The beach access was great, along with the two pools. There was a 'family' style pool and then a regular pool with a hot tub. Free chairs were great at the beach.

Overall, our experience was okay, but the property could use a little more TLC, to make it a GREAT stay!

Room Tip: Request a room in the main building with the lobby!
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
holidayinnresort, Manager at Wyndham Garden Fort Walton Beach Destin, responded to this review, August 15, 2011
Dear Our Repeat Valued Guest;

We would like to thank you for the repeat business and the detailed attention which you have paid to our property. As far as the renovattion, you are right. Actually, we have started last year. We had to stop due to the peak season. We planned to move forward with our projects during this fall.
We also appreciate that you took time to give us some positive feedback regarding the works that had been done in the lobby and in some areas of the guest rooms.

Thanks again;
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed August 1, 2011

This hotel is definitely not worth what we paid for. We expected much more. The room is small and nothing that stands out about it. The bathroom was the worse for me. The floor was constantly wet because of a leak in the sink. The faucet was constantly running because it would not turn off. As long as the bathroom is clean I don't mind the room being so so, however since the bathroom felt gross the room didn't leave a good impression with me. The hotel offers free chairs and an umbrella on the beach but the beach had tons of jelly fish. I have never seen so many jelly fish before, even though they were small they were everywhere and it still stings!! So we drove 5 miles down the street towards Destin and went to one of the public beaches, should have done that the day before. The beach was awesome, crystal clear waters. It was absolutely perfect. I don't know why others don't go to the public beaches, it sure is better than being on a crowded beach surrounded by jelly fish. To sum it up, holiday inn we will not be back to visit you again in Ft. Walton.

Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Steamicup
holidayinnresort, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Fort Walton Beach Destin, responded to this review, August 8, 2011
Dear Valued Guest;

We thank you for taking time to comment on your stay with us. On the other, we apologize for having met your expectations. It seemed that the bathroom floor was wet due to the high humidity. We investigated the call log. We are afraid to tell there was no record of that issue. In a situation like that, we would have transferred you to another room to repair the leak. We wish you had called the front desk. Secondly, the beaches are public. Distance (2 to 3 miles) is what separates them from each other. Fort Walton Beach water is the same as that of Destin. At one point during the year, all the beaches temporarily experience the jelly fish factor depending on the directions which they travel.
We would like you to know also that we are about to continue working on our ongoing renovation this fall. We hope you will give us another chance by visisting us again to see how much we improve.

We appreciate your business.

Best regards,