“Relaxation Maximized!”

Four Points by Sheraton Destin- Ft Walton Beach
Ranked #10 of 29 Hotels in Fort Walton Beach
Reviewed December 10, 2005

We had a wonderful 3 night stay at this hotel in the renovated towers with beachfront view (highly reccommend). Even though we stayed on the first floor we had a great view of the sunset and beach. When we walked in the room it was like relaxation melted over us! The room was beautiful with dark wood and cream bedding. The bathroom was terrific with ceremic tile and marble (or fake marble-I couldn't tell!) counters. I was thrilled that there was a fridge and sink area and microwave as I often have to pay extra for those things as a breastfeeding mom. The only thing about our room I was disappointed about was that the balconies on our level had cement instead of gates, so that if we sat in the porch chairs we couldn't see the ocean. No problem though!
The rooms were a lot nicer in person than the pictures on their website. I've included some pictures of mine. The hotel itself was beaten badly by hurricanes and at the time (Nov 05) the landscaping had not been fully restored, even so it was still lovely and you could see the potential. Only one pool was open, but was heated which was a treat in November. The jacuzzi and little snack room next to the pool were neat. The atrium area where breakfast was served was sun-filled and very pretty, even with the coral/sea-foam green popular beach colors. Meals were excellent and there were lots of choices on the buffet, my husband enjoyed the corn beef hash-yuck!

6  Thank Lark1010

Reviewed November 10, 2005

We stayed at this hotel in a beachfront room in the tower on the 5th floor the last week of October. The room itself was fine, as it had been recently remodeled after the hurricanes. However, the grounds need a lot of repair and there were workers everywhere the entire time we were there. I agree with the last reviewer - it was dangerous walking along the pathway from the tower to the breakfast area daily due to the loose tiles. The breakfast was okay, a lot of hot greasy food and the same things every day. I did notice the cook comes out frequently and pours milk into the scrambled eggs and stirs them around. This was not appetizing at all and I never ate the eggs again after I saw that happen. You are expected to tip daily in the breakfast area (as it is printed on the card you turn in daily for the breakfast) even though the waitress simply brings you coffee and water and disappears. Here is a tip - if you want milk or juice, buy it at the Winn Dixie and keep it in the fridge in your room. Then take it down in the white cups with the lid that are in your room daily. We took a milk and OJ down daily and that way we didn't have to pay them for it. ($1.25 for 6 ounces!) As stated in other reviews - only coffee, milk and tea are free. I also thought most of the front desk and maid staff (maid service was poor - not much effort, some days your room wasn't cleaned until 2pm) were difficult to understand. I stayed here mainly based on prior reviews of how nice everyone was and how great the service was. While it wasn't bad, I would call it far from outstanding. It was average at best. Also be warned - local calls are 75 cents. Most hotels give you this service free. In the room, the brochure is printed to state that local calls are 50 cents. When I asked the front desk if this was true, they said it is actually a 75 cent charge per call. When I complained about this (as we were going to make calls for tee times, reservations for dolphin cruises, ect...)they just smile and say, it is a connection fee. I got the impression that they take every opportunity to tack on extra charges so beware of that. Also - the orange tag they give you with your room keys needs to hang from your car mirror right away or they will tow your car. They did not tell us this and we did not discover it until late that evening. The beach was nice, but you do feel very isolated because of the Gulfarium on one side and the ugly cranes and big semi's on the other side. We went to Destin every night for dinner and any activities (golf, shopping, dolphin cruises) were also done in Destin. If I go back, I would definitely not stay in Fort Walton or at this hotel. Destin and Pensacola Beach are both cleaner and have better hotels.

• Stayed: October 2005
7  Thank jeannineShiloh_IL
Reviewed October 30, 2005

I stayed for 2 weeks in Oct. The rooms are OK, with plenty of space. They are showing some evidence of wear and tear in the bathrooms. The bed was very comfortable. The breakfast is formulaic with little choice of fresh fruit/cold meats, and orange juice is extra, come on this is Florida. The coffee is rather poor, and the whole feeling in the dining room is rather grubby and sticky, it's a wheel'em in and wheel'em out sort of experience.

There is still evidence of hurricane damage, there are loose tiles around the paths and around the pool. My main criticism is that the place has seen better days, it is evident that they are constantly doing minor repairs and maintenance, however, a complete makeover, especially in the uninviting dark, cold and dirty bar would be money well spent.

The staff are friendly and mostly competent, those that can speak English, unfortunately the housekeeping staff in the main are not in that category. My room was serviced every day, on most occassions with a slight twist or variation, like sometimes not making the bed, or not doing anything at all other than emptying the bins. I never fathomed out the system for replenshing the shampoo and conditioner, that was random.

Would I stay there again? Probably not if the Ramada's rates a few doors down are not too high.

• Stayed: October 2005, traveled on business
6  Thank Lawnb
A TripAdvisor Member
West Chester, PA
Reviewed October 21, 2005

Just arrived at the Sheraton October 20, 2005. Was staying in Crestview and could not take it anymore. Boy was the Sheraton a welcome escape. I checked in without problem, although the girl could not find my reservation and I had to ransack my luggage to find the number. The first night was uneventful. The room is in the beachfront tower and has a spectacular view. I am on the first floor which is a little above the beach.. The first floor balconies have a solid concrete front, so you lose a little view. If I had it to do over, I would ask for the second floor. Room service the first night was dreadful. The food arrived cold and the busboy did not bring any silverware. By the time he got back, I had almost fallen asleep. The second day was totally different though.-- Dawn, at the front desk, was very helpful, went out of her way to assure me that the dinner fiasco would not happen again. It did not -was very prompt and the appropriate temperature. They sent extra tea and were very gracious. I do not leave until Tuesday, so I hope it only gets better. I would come here again. You can't beat the beach and if you ask for Dawn, you can't beat the staff.

• Stayed: October 2005, traveled on business
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 2, 2005

I was very pleased with my stay at the 4 points sheraton. i stayed there 3 years ago and remembered it having a nice pool, jacuzzi, beach access, and location, but since then the rooms have been significantly upgraded and were quite nice. the beds were firm with an abundance of pillows, and our room had a microwave and midsized fridge (not a mini-bar fridge). the decorating was nice with marble countertops and tasteful carpet and linens, and the room was not cramped at all. we requested and were given a pool view room on the bottom level so that we could walk out the french doors of our patio right to the pool -- i would definitely recommend making this request.

the pool and jacuzzi in the courtyard are nice. the other pool and jacuzzi that are right on the beach are still out of commission as of 10/2/05; they were destroyed by hurricane ivan in the fall of '04, then rebuilt and opened two weeks before hurricane dennis in july'05. it would have been nice to have a beachside pool, but it really didn't make a big difference. much of the landscaping is still torn up from the hurricanes, but again, this doesn't make a big difference for the average weekend getaway.

the breakfast buffet was good but not great.

overall, the reasonable price ($115/night 9/30-10/02), the nicely appointed room, the layout allowing us to walk from our patio right onto the pool deck, and the location right on the beach made this a winner for a late season weekend get away.

the

• Stayed: October 2005
3  Thank LVinBham
Reviewed September 21, 2005

The whole family loved this place. We stayed in one of the family suites and had a great time. It's also very close to good restaurants, grocery stores, etc. One of the prettiest beaches we've seen in Florida. We'll definitely stay there again.....

Stayed: September 2005
3  Thank tdejc5
A TripAdvisor Member
Smyrna, TN
Reviewed August 14, 2005

We just got back from a long weekend at the Sheraton Four Points. We loved it. My wife and I thought the room was one of the best we have ever seen among beach hotels. We had a gulf front room. The room was very clean and the beds were VERY comfortable. The free breakfast buffet was pretty good. (Contrary to other reviewers, we like the french toast!) A greater variety of fruit would have been nice. The staff was very friendly.

Check-in was the fastest I have ever seen - less than 1 minute!

Only one of the two pools were operational, but the one was very nice and not crowded. The beach was great, white sand and clear water. The hotel grounds were still a little messed up from the hurricanes.

There are dunes to the right of the hotel that were great for pictures.

• Stayed: August 2005