“Great Beach Hotel!”

Four Points by Sheraton Destin- Ft Walton Beach
Ranked #7 of 29 Hotels in Fort Walton Beach
“Great Beach Hotel!”
Reviewed August 14, 2005

We just got back from a long weekend at the Sheraton Four Points. We loved it. My wife and I thought the room was one of the best we have ever seen among beach hotels. We had a gulf front room. The room was very clean and the beds were VERY comfortable. The free breakfast buffet was pretty good. (Contrary to other reviewers, we like the french toast!) A greater variety of fruit would have been nice. The staff was very friendly.

Check-in was the fastest I have ever seen - less than 1 minute!

Only one of the two pools were operational, but the one was very nice and not crowded. The beach was great, white sand and clear water. The hotel grounds were still a little messed up from the hurricanes.

There are dunes to the right of the hotel that were great for pictures.

• Stayed August 2005
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (262)
Reviewed August 7, 2005

We stayed at this hotel and the end of July. We were very happy with our room - it was a corner suite in the beach front building. The beds were very comfy and there was a good amount of room for our toddlers to play. The balcony on the suites is very spacious which we liked. Our neighbors with the standard room said their balcony was too small and very hot due to the a/c unit giving off hot air. The hotel is right on the beach and never felt too crowded. The beach front pool was closed but there was another one that our kids enjoyed.
The breakfast food was not very good - eggs were strange, frech toast tasted like it was cooked in the left over french fry grease and there was not a good selection of fruit or bread. The coutyard area, lobby and restaurant need work and updating. We wanted to stay close to the hotel for our meals but found the restaurants close by to be mediocre.
Overall we found it a good hotel but did see room for improvement.

• Stayed July 2005
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 7, 2005

I was down at the Holiday Inn Sunspree on a vacation June 13th - 19th. I enjoyed my stay and will definetly come back again. My family enjoyed it as well. We got to watch movies by the pool and they even had events for the kids. No one was left out. From the time I pulled up until I left (not wanting too). I enjoyed my self. The frontdesk was super nice and the housekepping crew was top notch. I have stayed in some nice places, but this place has it all. I am bringing my fishing club here for our next fishing trip. I told them all about great seafood at the Crab Island Cafe. I am ready to come back now if I could. Just sitting here at work thinking back on it and just had to tell others about the wonderful time I had there.

Ron Hines

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Kansas City, MO
Reviewed July 26, 2005

This is the 2nd year in a row we've been to this same hotel. We went last August between Hurricane Bonnie and Hurrican Ivan..... Ivan hit the hotel pretty bad but just got back up in great shape and then came Hurricane Dennis.... Though that hurricane wiped out the pool next to the beach, don't let that stop you from going to this location. The staff is tremendously friendly and accommodating. You get a full, hot breakfast included in your stay each morning. Ranges from scambled eggs, bacon, waffles, french toast, grits, fried potatoes and sausage to pastries of all kinds. Food was very good. Beverages at breakfast are not included (except for coffee/water).
If you are looking for a pretty private beach, this is the place. on the west side of the hotel are 2 empty lots, so there is are no beach bums around. on the other side is the gulfarium (definately worth the time to walk over for about $18p/p and see the dolphin and sea lions show) so there is no one on that side of you, either. about 300 yards down the beach is the pier. definately worth the $1p/p to walk out on the pier which extends about 300 yards into the water. you can watch fisherman catch all different kinds of fish, or just gaze down into the blue/green waters and possibly see fish, dolphins, turtles, stingrays, etc. (hint: go when the water is calm so you can see into the water). We went twice down the pier: once during the day and again a couple of nights later at sunset -- was just georgeous.
Chairs and umbrellas are costly on the beach. $25.00 for 2 chairs/1 umbrella, but we were there for a week and got them for $20p/day... there is also waverunners available right there when the water is calmer.
Food service is fast (guaranteed in 30minutes or less) and was very tasty.
We have always stayed in the beachfront tower, and is definately worth the extra $30 or so each night. if you can affort it, get one of the corner suites.... if you can get lucky like we did, and get on the east side up on the 3-6th floor, you can look down into the Gulfarium and see the dolphins swimming around during the day and watch their shows from your large balcony.
There are close restaurants, but we drove over to Destin each evening (about 8miles one way). The drive is beautiful as you have the gulf on one side of you and the bay on the other, with only white sand dunes between you and the waters.
i've got good suggestions for restaurants, as we did a wide variety as we have been there for 2 years. if you want ideas, feel free to email me.
Loved the stay at the hotel. we usually try a new place each year (first went to St. Pete and then to Ft. Myers), but we continue to go back to Ft. Walton and this hotel.
we like the privacy and beautiful scenery.

• Stayed July 2005
7 Thank Scottma150
Stuttgart, Germany
Reviewed July 11, 2005

Stayed for a few days in a corner tower suite at the Sheraton Fort Walton Beach...couldn't have been better. The view was amazing, the beach clean and uncrowded, even in July. The location near to great dining and attractions but not so close that the public interferes with your private sun time. Great clubs within walking distance so there's no need to drive into Destin to dine or party; just walk right back to the hotel! The bed is the most comfortable on the Strip, the rooms nicely decorated and spotless every day. Beach towels are provided at no charge and you can rent a 2 chair + umbrella set up for $25 a day so there's no need to lug a bunch of gear.

As for storm damage, there is a bit of work to be done yet, same as with all properties on this stretch of beach. The gardens are being redesigned, the fitness center nonexistant (Gold's gym will provide a venue if you need something more strenuous than wave surfing - the hotel has arranged a special deal for guests) Both pools were functional during my visit, as was the tiki bar near the beach.

Saw a beautiful beach wedding right outside the balconies...perfectly romantic.

As far as hotel stays go, great room, friendly staff and amazing location...hard to beat.

10 Thank oimtess
St. Louis
Reviewed June 17, 2005

I have just returned from a five day vacation in Fort Walton Beach. My boyfriend and I chose to stay at this hotel after researching hotels in the area and reading the reviews of other travelers on tripadvisor.
I am very happy that we stayed at Four Points. We were on the top floor of the tower and the views were so beautiful. Our room was beautiful with the new "Four Points" beds which are really comfy, a kitchen area with a fridge, microwave, and plenty of cabinet space, as well as a very nice bathroom. The view from our private balcony was gorgeous.
Tropical Storm Arlene came through the day before we arrived and I was afraid our vacation would be a wash-out. Luckily the weather was perfect when we arrived and stayed perfect until the night before we checked out (even then it didn't rain very long).
I understand what people were referring to regarding some of the property damage from Hurricane Ivan: one pool and one hot tub were not open and there is still sand on many of the grassy areas from the storm surge. Frankly, I was surprised the hotel didn't have more damage than it did and I personally wasn't bothered in the least by the pool/hot tub/sand damage. I came for the beach and the ocean and that was PERFECT!
I too had some problems with my room card but the staff at the front desk was very apologetic and fixed the problem. One of the things the hotel offers is a free breakfast in the morning. While I am not a big breakfast person, I didn't think the food was as bad as some have described it. I ate several danishes every morning for breakfast and they were really good. Speaking of food, on our last night we decided to order room service for the first time. We ordered nothing but desserts for dinner :) Well, it ended up being free because there was a mix-up with our order and they said that if it takes longer than 30 minutes for you to get your food it is complimentary. The pies and cheesecakes we ordered were delicious and the fact that they ended up costing us nothing was an added bonus.
Everyone that I encountered from the housekeeping staff and waiters to the receptionists and managers were extremely nice. They always had a smile on their face and seemed to take a lot of pride in working at the hotel. Hats off especially to the cleaning ladies -- every day we tracked sand into our room but every inch of it was gone by the time housekeeping left.
Finally, I would just like to say that the hotel's beach was awesome. Arlene blew in some seaweed but most of it was cleaned up by our second day. The water was beautiful -- two of the days it was CRYSTAL CLEAR! Another big perk of this hotel is the relatively vacant beach. It never got really crowded. We always felt like we had the huge beach pretty much to ourselves. Pelicans, cranes and seagulls flew around our balcony and while out swimming one day we even saw a dolphin and a tiny stingray! I also found a really big seashell in only about three feet of water.
I would have given this hotel an excellent rating, but it does still have some damage and they are working on that. I would definitely stay here again and recommend it to anyone who wants to have an enjoyable beach vacation.

6 Thank mewesl
Reviewed June 11, 2005

We stayed at the Sheraton the first week in June. All things considered it was a nice hotel. There is alot of construction still taking place but the website makes all guests aware of that. The only thing not up and running while we were there was the fittness center. The courtyard still needs alot of work. We stayed in the beachfront tower and the view was beautiful. Our room was newly remodeled and the bed was amazing. The hotel is within walking distance to the pier and boardwalk. The breakfast was ok. We did have problems with our room key not working two times and each time the staff didn't seem to care or apologize. Overall it was a nice vacation but I probably would stay at this hotel again.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fort Walton Beach
Holiday Inn Resort Fort Walton Beach
Holiday Inn Resort Fort Walton B...
#1 of 29 in Fort Walton Beach
Best Western Ft. Walton Beachfront
Best Western Ft. Walton Beachfro...
#2 of 29 in Fort Walton Beach
Hampton Inn Ft. Walton Beach
Hampton Inn Ft. Walton Beach
#4 of 29 in Fort Walton Beach
Courtyard Fort Walton Beach-West Destin
Courtyard Fort Walton Beach-West...
#8 of 29 in Fort Walton Beach
Embassy Suites by Hilton Destin - Miramar Beach
La Quinta Inn & Suites Fort Walton Beach
La Quinta Inn & Suites Fort Walt...
#3 of 29 in Fort Walton Beach

Been to Four Points by Sheraton Destin- Ft Walton Beach? Share your experiences!