“You just cannot beat a great ocean view!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Four Points by Sheraton Destin- Ft Walton Beach

Four Points by Sheraton Destin- Ft Walton Beach
Ranked #7 of 31 Hotels in Fort Walton Beach
Florida Panhandle, Florida
“You just cannot beat a great ocean view!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2009

We were delighted to learn upon checkin that thru our Starwood Hotel membership, we were upgraded to an ocean front view room. While little things like doors that stick and badly worn elevators would normally bother us, the Gulf ocean view from our 5th floor room made up for any wear and tear. The room was very nice, clean and up to date for any ones business/electronics needs. Setting on the balcony and watching the sunset made the reasonable price of the room even more of a bargain. There were guests on both sides our room, but we were not bothered with noise. Highly recommended hotel if you want a relaxing weekend or just a getaway with a great beach experience.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
Birmingham alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2009

I stayed with my family and this hotel had a great view and the pool was heated. The front desk staff was so friendly and the hotel grounds and rooms were extremely clean. We will be back...

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
USA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2009

This was one of the worst hotel experiences that I have ever had from beginning to end! First, while trying to make reservations online, it would not work and I had to try three times. Finally, I was able to make a reservation for a specific room and requested an upgrade (if available) based upon Gold Starwood Preferred status. Upon arrival, they did not show my correct reservation and would not honor the reservation made. They also insisted no upgrade rooms were available and that the manager would have to approve an upgrade even if one was available. The desk clerk said their records did not show me as a Gold level member and made NO effort to contact anyone to resolve the situation. By her attitude, she simply did not care. Based upon the number of cars in the parking lot, the hotel was almost empty and I believed the clerk had lied about the upgrade. After entering the room, it was so small and cramped that two people could not pass between the bed and furniture at the same time. The room and furniture showed wear-and-tear even though the website indicated it was newly renovated. The only redeeming factor was that the room had a good view of the Gulf. But, I decided to go back to the desk and ask about the upgrade. The clerk was obstinate and totally unhelpful. She did not lift a finger to resolve the problem. Frustrated, I left the lobby telling her that I would file a complaint against the hotel. Five minutes later upon entering the room, she called to say that an upgrade room was available but gave the distinct impression that they were doing me a great favor. I declined to take the upgrade. I thought about going to another hotel without a refund but decided to spend the night in the small room. However, the shabby treatment of the staff disturbed me so much that I only slept for one hour and was miserable all night and tired in the morning. I decided to accept the upgrade for the second night. But, even the upgrade was the worst upgrade room and they would not assign another even though I was convinced some were available. Later, we went to the restaurant for a quick meal to take to the room but there was not one customer. Generally, our experience was very negative. I'm sure that teen or college spring break kids love it because they don't care about the same things as I. But, after staying in other very upscale Sheraton Starwood hotels in Kyoto, Hong Kong, Rome and other places, the poor and unacceptable quality of this hotel was a major disappointment. I intend to file a formal complaint with the Sheraton corporation.

• Liked — View of the Gulf of Mexico
  • Disliked — Attitude and behavior of the desk staff; not rude but definitely had a "I don't care" attitude.
  • Stayed February 2009
2 Thank deebama1
Berkeley Heights, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2009

To start with addressing a comment I have read in many reviews: this hotel is not a "Sheraton", it is a "Four Points by Sheraton", which means it is more basic.

This said, if you get a room in the large building facing the ocean, you will enjoy the stay: of course the view is great, but the room itself is pretty good as well (see attached picture), and very quiet.

There are also some rooms in older buildings in the middle of the property, and I would not recommend these as they are darker.

The breakfast is average.

Overall, for the price (we paid $84 by booking directly on the Starwood website) and the location (great beach to stroll on!), this is a very good choice.

• Liked — The location
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
GaryJoh, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Destin- Ft Walton Beach, responded to this review, February 19, 2009
Thank you for your comments. The Four Points by Sheraton's Core Values are honesty, uncomplicated and confort, we appreciate your bussiness, thanks Gary
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2009

Good tourist class hotel on a relatively private stretch of beach in Ft. Walton. Great views from the six story building. Hotel has two smaller buildings with courtyard and parking lot views. If you want oceanfront be sure to request beach front in the six story building when making your reservation. Rooms were clean. We received an upgrade to a preferred guest room - it was winter and the hotel had few guests. A number of restaurants are within walking distance and Destin is just a short drive away.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
If in our area please give us another opportunity to be your "hotel of choice", thanks Gary
Dayton, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2008

My stay this summer at the Sheraton Four Points on Fort Walton Beach was absolutely horrible and unacceptable. I even sent an e-mail AND a typewritten letter to the General Manager of this hotel--which I have NEVER done--detailing my extreme unhappiness and discontentment three months ago and my letter was never even ACKNOWLEDGED by anyone from Sheraton Four Points.

My sister and I went to Florida for a short three-day trip, from July 13-15, 2008, to meet with several hotels where I was considering having a destination wedding ceremony and reception in June 2009. We flew into Tampa on Sunday July 13 and had set up appointments at several hotels in the Tampa-Clearwater area, but after seeing the Sheraton Four Points website and their dedicated link to weddings with impressive pictures, I set up an appointment with Jennifer to come up to Destin and see their hotel as well. I even booked a room at their hotel at almost $200 a night! After staying in Tampa Sunday and Monday, my sister and I rented a car and made the seven-hour drive to Destin JUST TO SEE THIS HOTEL, which appeared -- in pictures -- to be what I was looking for. I also arranged to fly out of Pensacola. The rental car cost me extra to return at another location, the gas (in July - $4 a gallon) was extremely costly for our seven-hour drive, and the flight out of another airport was high, but I again I was very impressed with the website information devoted to weddings and told Jennifer that I would like to see the Sunshine Palm Room. We checked in to the hotel on Monday evening – and for $200 were given a shabby second floor room with a dingy view of the parking lot. There was no elevator, the carpet was rancid, tiles had fallen out of the ceiling right in front of our room, and the window was SO filthy that we couldn’t even see the lackluster view of the parking lot.

On Tuesday morning, we met with Jennifer at 10 a.m. who asked us if we had stayed at the hotel the previous night. When we said "Yes," she said "Oh, then I don't need to show you around." However, we did not arrive to Destin until late Monday so we had not seen what the facility had to offer - it was late when we arrived. She then proceeded to tell us that the Sunshine Palm Room had been booked by the military just before our arrival and because of security reasons, she could not show us the room that we had come to see; we were only able to walk up to the deck. Our meeting lasted approximately 16 minutes and was a complete waste of my time and my money that I spent to rent a car, drive up to Destin, fly out of a different airport, and stay at their hotel. In addition, the hotel was filthy and disgusting, the staff was rude, and the room was not even worth a fraction of the price they charge. I would be embarrassed to have asked wedding guests to stay there. The $200 a night rooms are dingy motel rooms facing the parking lot with a rundown apartment complex aura. My experience at the hotel could not even measure up to the wonderful service and attention we received at the Tampa and Clearwater area hotels. Again, to make this experience even worse, no one even acknowledged my e-mail or my typewritten letter which I mailed to the general manager. Very poor job Sheraton Four Points. This hotel is a waste of both your time and money.

• Liked — You have to admire their ability to ignore a customer's valid complaint.
  • Disliked — The shabby rundown room for $200 a night with dingy view of the parking lot...
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
3 Thank shocked78
Let me start by saying, to date besides this posting I was not aware of an issue and have not received any correspondence to my attention. As you describe the meeting I to would have been disappointed and can only apologize for what may have occured by your review. We have a great track record in hosting many weddings and have an impressive referral list as part of our reputation. Best wishes, Gary
Miami
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2008

My visit was for 6 days. I maintain gold status with Hilton Honors and Marriott, only a perferred member with Starwood. My room was non-ocean view towards the front of the building on the ground floor. At 125.00 per night I felt it was exspensive. The room was furnished well, nice beds/linens, very clean and everything worked. All interactions with the staff were pleasant. The 2 pools and grounds are well maintained and pretty. The issues: Air conditioner was old and loud. Door to room and in-wall air conditioner are missing seals. Very little and/or no sound proofing; you'll hear everyone and all thier activities around you. Limited restaurant hours; with the exception of breakfast I never saw it open. Front desk had no change for laundry room and theres no change machines.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank bowman716
Thank you for your feedback, I will relay it to our maintenance department to resolve the issue, thanks Gary
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fort Walton Beach
Holiday Inn Resort Fort Walton Beach
Holiday Inn Resort Fort Walton B...
#2 of 31 in Fort Walton Beach
4.5 of 5 stars 419 reviews
BEST WESTERN Ft. Walton Beachfront
BEST WESTERN Ft. Walton Beachfro...
#1 of 31 in Fort Walton Beach
4.5 of 5 stars 1,071 reviews
Hampton Inn Ft. Walton Beach
Hampton Inn Ft. Walton Beach
#4 of 31 in Fort Walton Beach
4.0 of 5 stars 579 reviews
Courtyard Fort Walton Beach-West Destin
Courtyard Fort Walton Beach-West...
#12 of 31 in Fort Walton Beach
4.5 of 5 stars 30 reviews
La Quinta Inn & Suites Fort Walton Beach
La Quinta Inn & Suites Fort Walt...
#3 of 31 in Fort Walton Beach
4.5 of 5 stars 494 reviews
Embassy Suites by Hilton Destin - Miramar Beach

Been to Four Points by Sheraton Destin- Ft Walton Beach? Share your experiences!