“What they don't tell you...” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Four Points by Sheraton Destin- Ft Walton Beach

Four Points by Sheraton Destin- Ft Walton Beach
Ranked #7 of 29 Hotels in Fort Walton Beach
Memphis to N.O. to Fort Walton
“What they don't tell you...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013

My husband and I took a short trip to Fort Walton for our anniversary. We travel to this area an average of twice a year, I love it here. With my husband the pull of a "Hut" to purchase drinks and lunch right on the beach overturned my choice. (My choices #1 Hampton and #2 Holiday Inn)
When we arrived the first thing we found was the "Hut" was closed for the season during the week. The clerk assured us that it would be opened on the weekend. Hello! we were not registered for the weekend. You are given a card for the BBQ on Wednesday. I live in the South and frozen food in a heated metal tub is not my idea of a BBQ.
Second, although, possibly the most important is the fact that every other hotel on the island (I've stayed in most) provides beach chairs and umbrellas for their guest "FREE" where as this hotel leaves it to an independent company. Note: Charge to your room to save $5 because if you walk up with cash the guy will add himself an automatic tip charging you $30.
That is $30 ($25 to room) per day.
The room is average as most are trying to pull themselves up to meet the standards of my favorite Hampton. But, the duvet was not covered. It was between a bedspread and the sheet so do you think that thing is ever washed? We had to just tell ourselves that the bed was bound to have been changed there were signs of corners being cut during the last cleaning. The shower had soap in the wire of the dispenser. (This dispenser thing has soap, shampoo and conditioner which is a rather nice way to replace all those little bottles.) There were no bags in the trashcans and other little hints said half done.
If like us, you choose to hold off on the house keeping during your stay, you may find a card on the door suggesting you will receive a credit. That credit is to be used at a restaurant during your stay. It does not come off the final bill. The breakfast is average and who would eat dinner at the hotel while you have Old Bay Steamer down the street is beyond me. While in Florida you want fresh seafood, don't you?
This hotel does not have anything that would make me want to return. They bank on the location as the sole reason for a guest to be there and I'll tell you the beach is nicer away from the pier. Right next door is the aquarium, a public access beach and people fish off the pier throwing fish guts in the water.
Maybe because they are near so many public areas they seem to have trouble with people wondering around. Everywhere are signs posted telling people to leave unless they are a registered guest. There are so many of these postings that you begin to feel as though you may not be in the safest place on the beach either.
If you are in a tower room you will receive a "blue parking pass". Don't put much stock in this pass as they hand these things out left and right rather than first come. You have barely enough rough to pass and turn around in this covered parking area (one way in and out) and at least 20 more cars with blue tags than available spaces.
A note about the beach... If you are reading this as of 9/15/2013 you should know there is a bacteria washing in by about noon everyday. It goes out with the morning tide and makes it back later in the day. Plan to do your beach time in the early morning or at least stay out of the water. I couldn't believe so many people were in the water but I found they didn't understand that the water should be clear. This is not the coast where you are use to muddy looking water. If the water is not clear I would suggest you stay out. Florida has also had several sewage leaks of late in this area and over all water quality is not good anytime. I take my own water on any trip to Florida. I found out the hard way about the high concentration of sulfur landing me in the hospital with a high temp of 102+ years ago. The bottled water locally sold is from "sulfur springs" so trust me... take your own. Overall this is the best of beaches. Enjoy.

Room Tip: If you want an ocean view you must have a room in the tower and do not let them put you on the first...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MailEvade
4PointsbySheratonGM, Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Destin- Ft Walton Beach, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Thank you for the review. I apologize we did not meet your expectations in several areas. I take all comments and suggestions very seriously as this helps us improve our services for future guests. I have shared your comments with my executive team and we are working on making improvements in several areas you mentioned. Thank you again for your review. Regards, Jeremy Skinner - General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2013

This is a clean, small/mid-size hotel right on the Ft. Walton Beach. It's a short drive to Destin. I have been to the Destin area twice. Unfortunately for me, I never really witnessed the emerald green ocean views that Destin's known for due to the rainy weather. The hotel itself is a little dated. The pool is fairly small, if there are 5-6 kids jumps in at the same time, it starts to look a little crowed. There's a small gym on the premise, and a few dining options. The best asset of the hotel is of course, the beach. Not glamorous, but this hotel is a nice option for a quick getaway.

Room Tip: Ask for higher floor and away from the stairs for noise reduction. The rooms on the south side are...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank cc m
4PointsbySheratonGM, Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Destin- Ft Walton Beach, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Thank you for your review. The water is currently as blue and pristine as you see in the pictures. I wish it could have been during your stay as well. Please come back and see us soon as we are making many great improvements around the hotel. Next time I want your review to be titled GREAT value! Regards, Jeremy Skinner - General Manager
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2013

After a 10 hour drive, it was a relief to have a hassle free check in. I was given a room close to a side entrance of the hotel, with parking available just outside. A good shower, an excellent bed, and I was feeling great the following morning. The $9.99 breakfast buffet, serviced by cheerful employees (ty Kathy) was a plus.
This is a fairly large hotel, with 2 pools, a hot tub, well manicured interior grassy spaces with flowering vegetation, and even a kiddie sprinkler area. However, the best asset of this hotel is its beach. Just off the fishing pier, the beach stretches wide and far, with cool fine white sand and clear warm water of the Gulf. One can see lots of small fishes in the water, and pelicans and porpoises play and hunt putting on a great show.
I had two lunches at Kiwi's the hotel's snack bar above the seaside pool; both were reasonably priced and tasty. The snack bar could use a TV though; they would get more customers if football games or other sports were televised. My dinner of the hotel's signature dish, Emerald Grouper, however was marred by having too many bones in the grouper "fillet".
A large comfortable room, free wifi, flatscreen TV with lots of cable stations inc. Showtime and NFL, a room refrigerator, and a great beach adds up to a very nice experience.

Room Tip: Use SPG status to score an ocean front room.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Robert S
4PointsbySheratonGM, Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Destin- Ft Walton Beach, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Thank you for such a great review. I have shared your comments with our managers so we can improve on some of the points that needed improvement. We will be adding a flat screen to Kiwis as well so our guests can enjoy a game AND the beautiful views. We hope to see you again soon. Regards, Jeremy Skinner – General Manager
Sherwood
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013

I give this hotel an overall rating of 4.0 stars! One of the best Four Points resorts I have ever stayed in. I really enjoyed this hotel, located in Ft. Walton beach right before the 98 bridge that takes you into Destin. I found this hotel to be in a very decent location if you are vacationing in the Destin area. The Hotel itself is very large and the grounds are well maintained and beautiful. We splurged for the oceanfront room which had a spectacular view from the balcony. The rooms are very spacious and appear to have been recently renovated. The oceanfront rooms have their own parking lot directly under the building with direct access to the beach and the pool. The beach in front of the hotel is very clean and has plenty of room to enjoy all of your family activities. Breakfast was outstanding, the hotel offers a full breakfast buffet for an additional charge and I would highly recommend it if you want an enjoyable breakfast with many options to choose from. The staff here at this hotel is well above average; very helpful and professional and they make sure you are well taken care of. The hotel even offers a unique texting service where you can text the front desk from your mobile phone to ask for assistance or just general questions. I would highly recommend this hotel if you are looking for a very nice resort on the beach right next to Destin. In June of 2013 there was construction going on at the hotel for a kid’s water splash zone in the center of the grounds. This hotel will definitely not disappoint.

Room Tip: ocean front rooms are worth the money
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for such a thorough review. I am happy that we rank #1 out of all Four Points Hotels by you. That means a lot. I am also happy to report that our Splash Park has now opened and the little ones are really enjoying it. I made sure to share your great review with our team so they can see the great impact they are having on our guests. Please come back and see us again soon. Regards, Jeremy Skinner - General Manager
Smyrna, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

We stayed here during the Labor Day Weekend and it was a great stay. However we arrived a few hours earlier than anticipated and had to wait until the 4:00 check in time. We stayed on the 6th floor and had a beautiful view of the beach and the sunsets were amazing. The refrigerator was the perfect size. I will stay again but next time I will arrive right at check in and not any earlier.
One negative aspect was the gym area, not at all like I expected and needs to be updated.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your reivew of our hotel. I apologize we could not get you checked in earlier. We always provide an early check-in if we have the rooms available but that is sometimes difficult to do in the busy season. We are working on some more improvements in our fitness center as well so I hope you will come back soon to see those. Regards, Jeremy Skinner - General Manager
Valley View, TX
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

The hotel is older but well maintained. The rooms face the outside rather than a hallway. But still very nice. The outdoor bar was great. But unfortunately it closed at 7 every night. That seemed strange, but the bartender said it was because they were a "family hotel." But they provided beach service until 5, which was awesome. All in all, a good place to be in the beach.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for such a great reivew. We do close Kiwis Tiki Bar at 7:00pm since it is surrounded by guest rooms and we don't want to disturb those rooms later in the evening. I am happy to see you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to your next visit. Regards, Jeremy Skinner - General Manager
Vienna, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

This was our pre vacation before the week long family beac vacation in Destin, FL. It is an old property that has been upgraded but still lives with the old concrete structure. The staff was excellent. From the front desk to the ladies in the dining room for breakfast, everyone made us feel welcome. We hope to come back again!

Room Tip: Go for one of the end of floor suites !
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for such a great review. We are glad you could get some good vacation tiime in before the family vacation! Please come back soon to see some of our great renovations we will be completing this fall. Regards, Jeremy Skinner - General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fort Walton Beach
Holiday Inn Resort Fort Walton Beach
Holiday Inn Resort Fort Walton B...
#2 of 29 in Fort Walton Beach
BEST WESTERN Ft. Walton Beachfront
BEST WESTERN Ft. Walton Beachfro...
#1 of 29 in Fort Walton Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,176 reviews
Courtyard Fort Walton Beach-West Destin
Courtyard Fort Walton Beach-West...
#9 of 29 in Fort Walton Beach
Hampton Inn Ft. Walton Beach
Hampton Inn Ft. Walton Beach
#4 of 29 in Fort Walton Beach
Embassy Suites by Hilton Destin - Miramar Beach
Residence Inn Sandestin at Grand Boulevard

Been to Four Points by Sheraton Destin- Ft Walton Beach? Share your experiences!