“"Could Have Been Better"”

Four Points by Sheraton Destin- Ft Walton Beach
Ranked #9 of 29 Hotels in Fort Walton Beach
The Woodlands, Texas
“"Could Have Been Better"”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We also used our Starwood points for our vacation. This was our first visit to Fort Walton/Destin. First I do have to say we got lucky and had beach front room. The room was o.k., being a affialated with a Sheraton didn't seem to look like one. It was easy to get to the beach and get to both of the pool's. They did have a shower to wash off the sand. The bar by the beach did close early by 7p.m.(what's the point to have a bar by the beach when you can't enjoy being outside having a drink). They did have a restaurant/bar inside which did not have any drink special's. I did enjoy the breakfast buffet but I thought it was a little overprice for me especially when you are feeding a big family. They staff seemed somewhat friendly. They cleaning service was not up to standards. The sad thing was we were unable to enjoy the beach to much do to the seaweed problem they had due to the rain they were getting.( You have to blame mother nature on that.) The sand was pretty and soft. They do have a exercise room which was nice. Also they did have a Pirate to come out to perform a magic show for the kids which was fun. Overall it was o.k.,might give it a second chance in the future.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
4PointsbySheratonGM, Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Destin- Ft Walton Beach, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Thank you for your review. I have seen several comments about the seaweed and we did have more this year than usual. Unfortunately, all of the hotels and condos along the gulf had the same problem. We make sure there is always a restaurant open on property but we do close the tiki bar as it gets close to dark. Our bar and restaurant inside stays open until 11pm though. I hope you will come back and give us another try so you can see the beautiful water. Regards, Jeremy Skinner - General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (262)
east texas
Reviewed August 12, 2013

we stated here due to last minute schedule and Destin ocean views room where all gone .. it is much quieter than Destin but much older facility , been renovated and being so now .. would not stay again only to stay in Destin ...

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jl-jj
Thank you for your review. During our off season we are making some great improvements to the hotel so I hope you will come back and give us another try next year. Regards, Jeremy Skinner - General Manager
Austin, Texas
Reviewed August 8, 2013

This hotel was chosen solely on the facy that I could cash in Starwood points to stay free. So not worth 10,000 points!
I agree with most of the commentary about it being a motel, not a hotel. The staff was not up to Starwood standards. For example, while at the front desk checking in, the clerk took a call for 5 minutes while I continued to stand there, mid check-in. I ended up asking someone else to check me in.

Here's my pros and cons.
Pros:
The sand was pretty white. My son said it reminded him of sugar cookie dough.
It's an easy and quick walk to the beach.
Both sides of the property are not inhabited (one side a peir, one side a Holiday Inn under construction). This means the beach is not as crowded as further west.
There is more than one pool, more than one bar and more than one place to rinse off the sand.
They offer beach food service with a wait staff.
Cons:
The staff not up to standards.
The sea weed in the water made the beach intollerable.
The beach side restaurant/bar says open 11am until. Not true. The restaurant closes at 6 and the bar at 7. Actually, a few minutes before.
The pool towel service was nice but not open at the times I needed them. You have to go all the way back to the front desk to return them so you don't get charged $20 per towel.

• Stayed August 2013
Thank you for your thorough review. We did have some seaweed this year that lasted longer than usual. Kiwis, our beach tiki bar and grill is posted as open from 11am til........During the summer season we always keep it open until 7pm but we shorten those hours in the off season. I have passed on your comments to our managers to they can work to improve their areas. Thank you again for the review. Regards, Jeremy Skinner - General Manager
Tyler, Texas, United States
Reviewed August 6, 2013

Staying at four points right now. Wanted to say thanks to Jenn at the front desk. Warmest welcome I have ever received at a hotel. She was friendly, efficient, and gave us all the info we needed. The water is warm and our view is great! Perfect for an overnight date with my wife.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the great review. I have shared your comments with the team as well. We look forward to seeing you again soon. Regards, Jeremy Skinner - General Manager
Houston, Texas
Reviewed August 4, 2013

As others have said...this is an old motel converted into a "hotel". I have stayed at other Sheraton and after this experience will think twice. Our room at the beachfront was nice, clean and quite. But the building in general is old and not kept clean. Service is below average and slow(understaffed). Front desk area is not organized. Breakfast buffet is not worth the price. Swimming pools are ok. Restaurant food is ok. Bar is ok but closes at 7:00pm. Beach is not crowded. Sand is clear and white. Beach water was black and scary. Water had algae/weed and looked/smelled like spinach soup. Was told that this was because of recent rains. Next day we went to Seaside which is about 25 miles down the road. Oh my God night and day difference. Beaches and the water at Seaside were crystal clear. Seaside town and the beaches are out of this world beautiful.

Fort Walton in general is an older area. Destin is about 10 minutes away. I will highly recommend staying in or near Seaside. What we paid for the "motel"....not worth it.

Room Tip: If you must stay here...stay in the beachfront building.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for the review. Our beachfront tower is one of the newer buildings in this area. All of our rooms have had recent renovations as well. As far as the seaweed/algae it can be clear in Fort Walton one day and very heavy in Seaside on that same day and vice versa the next. When the seaweed moves into the area there is no way to control where it goes and for how long. I apologize it was not more clear during your visit. Regards, Jeremy Skinner - General Manager
Pensacola, Florida
Reviewed August 3, 2013

This will have made my 4th experience with this hotel. The first three were glowing and I highly recommended. However this time was so disappointing. The first night there was a water line broken by the city, but the hotel and all the restaurants in the vicinity were affected. I was hoping and expecting the staff to at least hand out water bottles or give us some kind of compensation. The water was out until 8:30 PM and I am sure many visitors returned from the beach hot and tired, not being able to shower or bath. There was absolutely no word from the office and we had to go in hour by hour to get an update. The maid staff seems to have been depleted or maybe just not trained well. She was not consistant in what she was replacing in our room. One day we had 3 towels and the next only 2 and no washclothes. The sea water was pretty bad with seaweed so most of our time we stayed at the pool. It was very nice and clean and the Tiki Bar was, of course stocked with drinks, but mostly alcholic ones and EXPENSIVE, so beware of that. I will have to say that Pam was a wonderful desk clerk and because we were early checking in, was very helpful. She was the bright star in the whole stay. I don't know whether I will stay here again. There will be a new Holiday Inn next door next summer.

Room Tip: Ask for gulf front rooms. They are the high rise building and all rooms face the gulf. The higher...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for the review and I will pass on the positive comments regarding the front desk team. I do apologize about the county water main break and the seaweed that we had in the gulf during your stay with us. I know both were inconvenient. The county worked hard to get the water main repaired but we were still out of water for several hours. Regards, Jeremy Skinner - General Manager
Marietta, Georgia
Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

my girlfriend and I recently stayed at the hotel for a few days vacation at the beach. Because of where it is situated the beach is not as crowded as other places...that was really nice. To the left is the gulfarium, the okaloosa pier and boardwalk with restaurants. To the right there is a new property under construction, then condos. Looking down the beachyou can see crowds of people, but where we were it was nice quiet. it was nice to have a beach vacation without having to fight the crowds of people on the beach.

The hotel itself is really nice and not pricey given its amenities and location on the beach. The rooms are nice, the place is well kept, it had a great breakfast buffet in the morning, a bar, two outdoor pools and two outdoor hot tubs. There's also the tiki bar that has waitress service to the pools and on the beach! So you can park yourself for the day, sit back, relax, have drinks and food served to you and do whatever you like.

So if you're looking for a really nice place, a quiet beach and a nice hotel with great service this is a beautiful choice!

• Stayed August 2013
Thank you for the great review! I am glad you and your girlfriend were able to enjoy the many amenities we offer here on beautiful Okaloosa Island. Regards, Jeremy Skinner - General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fort Walton Beach
Holiday Inn Resort Fort Walton Beach
Holiday Inn Resort Fort Walton B...
#1 of 29 in Fort Walton Beach
Best Western Ft. Walton Beachfront
Best Western Ft. Walton Beachfro...
#2 of 29 in Fort Walton Beach
Hampton Inn Ft. Walton Beach
Hampton Inn Ft. Walton Beach
#4 of 29 in Fort Walton Beach
Courtyard Fort Walton Beach-West Destin
Courtyard Fort Walton Beach-West...
#7 of 29 in Fort Walton Beach
Embassy Suites by Hilton Destin - Miramar Beach
Fairfield Inn & Suites Fort Walton Beach-West Destin
Fairfield Inn & Suites Fort Walt...
#11 of 29 in Fort Walton Beach

Been to Four Points by Sheraton Destin- Ft Walton Beach? Share your experiences!