“Oldie? But definately Good!”

Best Western Ft. Walton Beachfront
Ranked #2 of 29 Hotels in Fort Walton Beach
BirminghamAL
“Oldie? But definately Good!”
Reviewed November 2, 2011

My wife and I traveled to Fort Walton so I could conduct a business meeting while she stayed in the room overlooking the beach. Yes, this is an older hotel, and rated at two stars; but, they treated us like it was a five star hotel. We were much later getting to the hotel than we planned. No problem, one phone call to the front desk secured the room that Toni had picked for us. Within the limits of the hotel, they were very accomidating when a verifiable emergency made me a few minutes late leaving. This was much appreciated.

I am very allergic to cigarette smoke, and having stayed in hotels like this, know how people smoking on a balcony below can drift into your room, especially if your door is open so you can hear the surf. No problem, I called Toni (the sales manager) and found her to be as helpful as any I have dealt with -- and we got a room on the second floor (bottom floor of the rooms) just like we wanted. It is definitely worth paying the extra to get a gulf side room. As shown in the picture I took at sunrise, it is as pretty of a beach as can be found anywhere along this part of the gulf.

Yes, the room seemed dated, like stepping back into the "Jetson's" -- and I liked it. It is obvious that their decorator planned it that way because the paint looked fresh and clean. More importantly, the room and entire hotel was clean and fresh smelling. The bed was comfortable, there was WIFI in the room, a small desk and table for our use, plus a refrigerator and microwave. The shower had plenty of hot water, and the air conditioner worked well. The hallways face inward but are open so the temperature is the same as the outside -- minus any wind and rain.

Breakfast was above the continental breakfast they advertise. They had assorted cereals, hot eggs, biscuits and gravy, bagels, etc. I had to leave very early and decided to take breakfast up to my wife so I could eat with her. Many hotels don't like people doing this. Not this one. Nana, the lady who works the breakfast area, got me a tray and even helped me into the elevator. That's what I call service.

The hotel faces the gulf. They have a pool with beach chairs and umbrellas just outside the back door. They have their own private bridgeway across the sand dunes to the beach part (I was glad to see that they preserved the dunes).

I'm glad we picked this hotel. My wife got to enjoy the beach and I got the business meeting finished successfully. We both enjoyed the sunrise and the sound of the surf. I would love to return when the two of us could just enjoy the beach and other things Ft. Walton Beach has to offer.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank LoveTravelingOn
Toni R, Director of Sales at Best Western Ft. Walton Beachfront, responded to this review, November 23, 2011
We really appreciate the time you took with your evaluation of our hotel! It was our pleasure to have you stay with us and we are thrilled that we could make your stay comfortable and accomodating. We look forward to seeing you in the future! Happy Holidays!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
Palm City, Florida
Reviewed October 25, 2011

We made reservations here for the HOG Rally. The website looked good. Probably good 20 years ago. We called it the title of my review. The first 2 days hardly any hot water for showers, my husband actually got cold water. The WiFi only worked 2 days but at least router was in the room. The best thing about them was their service, outstanding! Room was cleaned promptly, staff at desk helpful and kind. Maintainance worker helped with parking our motorcycle trailer. Can't say enough good about the staff. Rooms were clean but not modern. Our room had a balcony with chairs and table, and beautiful view of the beach. You are also entitled to a umbrella and 2 beach chairs every day you are there. Breakfast in AM so/so

Room Tip: Depends if you want beach or parking lot!
1 Thank Sandal95
Toni R, Director of Sales at Best Western Ft. Walton Beachfront, responded to this review, October 27, 2011
We apologize for your problems with the hot water and WiFi. We had a full house with the Hog Rally and will look into why your room had difficulties. Thank you for your kind remarks regarding the service from our team. We hope you will visit with us in the near future. Please don't hesistate to give us a call 850-243-9444.
tampa florida
Reviewed October 24, 2011

despite other reviews hotel was well dated older furniture ,nothing new in room ,not even a retro look,actually older furnishings ! pass on this 1

• Stayed October 2011
1 Thank vbm534
Sorry you were so disappointed in the room you stayed in. We realize our decor may not suit everyone and appreciate the honest feedback. Thank you for staying with us.
Lakewood, Colorado
Reviewed October 17, 2011

We stayed in this hotel for one week, during the 4th of July holiday, 2011. The staff were extremely helpful, courteous, and very professional. Our room, was clean, quiet, and comfortable. There is a very impressive blown glass and seashell/sea life collection located in the lobby. The views are breathtaking, and the proximity of the hotel to both Destin and Ft. Walton Beach were extremely convenient. I have stayed in 5-star hotels, and this Best Western has many of them beat! I would definitely stay at this BW again. Loved it!

Room Tip: The 6th floor has the best views/is the quietest.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Kristen709
Thank you for your lovely comments! We appreciate your admiration of our collections of blown glass vases and shells....we hope to see you again soon. We appreciate your business and thank you for staying at the Best Western Beachfront Hotel.
Smyrna, Tennessee
Reviewed October 12, 2011

We used to come to the beach every year and many times we would stay at this hotel. We hadn't been in 4 years. Some things had changed and some stayed the same. The staff was friendly and the rooms were nice and had been redecorated since our last stay. I love being able to look at the ocean from our room. I was pleasantly surprised to find that our stay included two beach chairs and an umbrella every day! I only have two negatives. The first, and most annoying: every night we tried to keep our door open when we were sleeping to hear the magnificent sound of the ocean. However, someone seemed to always be out on the balcony smoking and the stench always drifted into our room. What a shame that we couldn't fully enjoy the peace of the ocean. Maybe all the smoking rooms should be moved to the top levels to help get the smell away from those of us that have asthma and or just can't tolorate the smell. The other negative was that one day when the cleaning ladies cleaned our room, they left the door unlocked and ajar all day. Luckily nothing was taken from our room. I am sure it was an accident. All the staff was very friendly and the cleaning ladies kept our room in perfect order. All in all, our stay was very pleasant. We enjoyed the Tiki Bar and the hot dogs and chips for lunch! I would definately stay here again as I have in years past. The only suggestion would be to do something about the smoke.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments on your stay with us! We are sorry for the inconvenience the smoke caused you and we appreciate your feedback and suggestions. We hope to see you again!
Mobile, Alabama
Reviewed October 6, 2011

The hotel was clean, everyone was very nice, BEAUTIFUL scenery, modern, nice rooms, great location, and the best thing of all was the great customer service provided by Toni and the rest of the staff. Thank you all once again for making our stay just about the best it could have been, thank you and when I come to the area again I know exactly where I will be staying.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 601 but I suggest to speak with Toni when you call. She is a great person and real...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
We were happy to hear of your wonderful experience at our hotel! We look forward to having you come back soon.
Elba, Alabama
Reviewed September 27, 2011

We have stayed here a few times and will continue to go back. The staff is so friendly, and the view is awesome. We especially love staying in the junior suite. The only "bad" thing I can say about this place is there is no on-site restaurant, but it is very close to some of the finest restaurants in Fort Walton Beach/Destin, and at least they have the continental breakfast. I would definitely recommend this place to anyone, and they have the cheapest rates of any hotel on the beach.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Toni R, Director of Sales at Best Western Ft. Walton Beachfront, responded to this review, October 6, 2011
Thank You for the lovely comments and taking the time to post them. Have a wonderful day, we hope to see you soon again.