“Busy, but quick if your not a large party.”
Review of Old Bay Steamer

Old Bay Steamer
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed June 15, 2013

This place had very good seafood. We ordered just from the appetizer menu and we shared 1lb of royal reds (the best shrimp there is) and I had the mussels in white wine and tomatoes, both were very good. The portions are large and enough for a meal.

It is a very busy place, but we were seated quickly (under 20 minutes) and service was prompt and friendly. Would visit again.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,319)

997 - 1,001 of 1,319 reviews

Reviewed June 13, 2013

We were seated quickly but that was the only good part. Waiter came to the table in a timely manner but did not seem to care if we had a good experience. My wife ordered an adult beverage that she said was undrinkable and was left on the table. The food was very bland and had no taste at all. I had the N.Y Strip and it was not good at all. My wife had shrimp and said it was tasteless. The veggies were the same. The whole meal was overpriced for what you get. Our server never came back to the table after the entrees were delivered. My drink was empty about half way through the meal and even though I sat the glass at the tables edge, no one seemed to notice or care. Not sure if the air conditioner was out but the building was too warm. When we return for our next visit to Fort Walton beach, we will not return to this restaurant.

Reviewed June 12, 2013

Our visit was during dinner time, on a Friday evening. Consider yourself warned; parking is horrific. Get there early (before 6pm) or you will be waiting a while for seating and/or parking. Not sure if Old Bay is as busy throughout the weeknights, but Friday was packed.

We ordered an appetizer of steamed mussels in garlic butter. They were very tasty. I could have made a whole meal of that appetizer alone.

Hubs and I ordered a steamer for two with Florida shrimp, Snow crab, red potatoes and corn on the cob. It was WAY too much for us to eat. We liked the crab more than the shrimp, because the shrimp seemed overly salty to me. I really LIKE a good amount of salt in my food, but this was a too much for me - and hubs agreed.

My girls (age five and seven) could have easily shared this steamer with us. However, we ordered off the kiddie menu for both of them. My youngest ordered a corn-dog. (I will be SO glad when she outgrows the corn-dog phase!) My seven year old ordered pasta alfredo (her favorite food in the world) and she said it was pretty good. Both girls ended up eating some of our crab and shrimp.

This was our last meal on vacation, and a great way to end a fabulous week in the Destin/Ft. Walton area. The atmosphere at Old Bay is nice, in spite of the horrible parking and the fact that a *ahem* gentleman's club is located right next door. Don't let the 'neighbors' scare you away from this great restaurant. Plenty of options on the menu for everyone and terrific service as well.

Pricey! We paid over $110 for our family of four, which included appetizer and a couple glasses of wine. That's pretty typical for steamed crab and such. We will probably return to Old Bay again when we vacation in the Destin area. (But, I would probably order more crab and mussels and just skip the salty shrimp.)

1  Thank Hpgmezzo
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Get the seafood sampler for two, with 2 kinds of crab legs, clams, oysters, shrimp, and mussels! It will fill you up! They've got great seafood and drinks. The only down side, there is no view and the dinning room is quite dark.

1  Thank Traveler2969
Reviewed June 7, 2013

Very chill atmosphere. Food was excellent. Key Lime Pie Martini = mmmmmm! The Smoked Tuna Dip was amazing. Upstairs has very eclectic art work, just fun all around.