“Pleasant, budget-friendly hotel”

Ranked #15 of 29 Hotels in Fort Walton Beach
Joliet, I
“Pleasant, budget-friendly hotel”
Reviewed May 7, 2010

My husband and I and our small children (ages 3 and 5) stayed at this hotel when on vacation to attend my husband's sister's wedding. The hotel was comfortable and clean. The continental breakfast (with fresh waffles) was invaluable for my morning coffee and to placate my kid's first thing in the morning hunger. The location was fantastic and we we literally right across the street from the more pricey hotel where the wedding was held. The hotel is also right across the street from a public beach with a nice playground for the kids. The teardrop pool was also a nice way to spend a couple of hours with the kids without worrying about them drowning. We had no problem with noise from other guests (we didn't go during spring break though!) All and all, I'd highly recommend the hotel and gladly stay there again.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Louisiana
Reviewed April 5, 2010

We stayed at this hotel for four nights. Our room was clean and the beds were comfortable (very important because I have a back problem). Even though on the main highway we heard no traffic noise (our room was on the 3rd floor) The room was equiped with a fridge, microwave and a coffee machine with pads for Wolfgang Puck coffee that was refilled every morning. It was the best hotel coffee we have ever had. There was also an ironing board with iron and a hair dryer.
Breakfast included toast, bagels, muffins, cereal, fruit, fresh waffles (a nice young lady made the waffles for us), milk, o-juice, and coffee. The breakfast area was a little small but still o.k.
The fitness center was in a room right off and open to the lobby and together with the hottub.
The pool was small but not a problem because we were very close to the beach.
Those who did not have a laptop could use a computer in the lobby to access the internet. A laundry area with coin machines was also available for guests.
The beach is within walking distance although you would have to cross the busy highway. We drove with our car about 3 min. to Beasley Park which had showers and restrooms.
We saw some restaurants close by and there was a waffle house across the street.
But there was none of the typical fast food restaurants or grocery stores close by (just gas stations). And wal-mart was a good ten min. drive away.
This hotel is not resort but if you a looking for a decent hotel for a low price this is it.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank lilymouse
thumbwrestlingchamp
Reviewed January 1, 2010

We were very impressed by the excellent service we received. We were very tired and had to book this hotel at the last minute. They allowed us to check in three hours early and the receptionist was very pleasant. The room was average, but the location was great. There was no charge for the highest speed wireless access I have ever received from a hotel. At breakfast, the gentleman at the front desk was very attentive and even made us waffles! We will come back here if need be.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Tallahassee, FL
Reviewed August 3, 2009

I just got back from a weekend stay at the Emerald Coast Inn and Suites on Okaloosa Island and felt compelled to write a review. This place is great as long as you understand what you're getting. If you are looking for a place on the beach, with a great view, and a resort atmosphere then you need to look somewhere else. You're just not going to find that here. The beach is not within walking distance, and although I could see the water from the stair well it was not what the view from my room was.

However, if you are just looking for a place to sleep and want some place that is clean and relatively quiet for a good price, then its great. I arrived expecting something of the quality of a Motel 6 and was pleasantly surprised to find that it was far nicer than that. The rooms are clean and nicely appointed, and as others have said the pillows are heavenly. I was also pleasantly surprised to find a nice sized fridge and microwave in the room and free wireless internet as I was not expecting that.

Since we spent the majority of our time out and about and only used the hotel for sleeping and cleaning up, it was absolutely perfect for our needs, especially since it was about 80-100 dollars cheaper than everyone else.

So if you're just looking for a nice place to rest in between your adventures around Destin/Okaloosa Island, than this is probably perfect. If you're looking for a location that is more of a destination itself, then you need to keep looking. In this case, I highly suggest the Ramada Plaza Inn Beach Resort just down the road.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
New Orleans
Reviewed June 8, 2009

Wow, after scanning these reviews, I feel as though I must have stayed at a different place from those who are giving this "hotel" 5 stars. First, let me say, I am not a hotel snob. My husband and I are in our mid-20's and have stayed at our fair share of Holiday Inn/middle-of-the-road places. This is my first time feeling strongly enough about a place to write a review. We stayed here 1 night for a friend's destination wedding, and I'm SO relieved we didn't have to stay any longer. This place was not nearly as nice as any average hotel. First, the hallways were open-air and were wet, dank and dingy. Upon entering the room, we were blasted with a suffocating cigarette smoke stench. The room was so incredibly humid that the floors were soaked through. I literally had to wear flip-flops to keep my feet from getting wet. After a few hours of being in the room, the clothes in my suitcase were wet from humidity. I'm from the south, so I definitely know when humidity is bad. And this was BAD. This room needed a dehumidifier in the worst way.
At night (until after 1AM), doors slammed constantly and it sounded like guys were shouting to each other from different floors.
We didn't come on this trip for the beach since we were only here 1 night, but as a frequent beach goer, I wouldn't say this hotel has the best location. It is across a very busy highway from the beach. It would be adequate for someone who expects to make a tromp to the beach and wants to be in walking distance. Personally, I think beach-front location is key to a great beach trip, so I'd advise spending the extra money and staying right on the sand. I would have been very disappointed in the location if we had come for a beach vacation.
There are 2 good things I will say about this place: 1-The rooms were adequately clean--no issues with sheets or bathroom. 2-The continental breakfast was decent and my husband said the coffee was good. But do you really go to the beach for good coffee?

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Thank foodloverinN.O.
Destin1180
Reviewed June 7, 2009

i am a loyal customer of the Hilton hotels and was referred to this hotel as the Hampton Inn was sold out...at first i must admit i did not know what to expect for my 3 night stay.
My experience at check in was pleasant when i got to the room i was suprised it smelt fresh and was amazingly clean infact the room had all the amenities as any Hampton has. The following morning i went to see the breakfast and it had a very good variety a staff member also made fresh waffles for me. i dont get that at the Hampton...overall my experience at this hotel was very good. i would recomend this hotel to anyone visiting the area. The service is excellent...

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed June 6, 2009

We have stayed in the Emerald Inn now for several times for our stay with family and for vacationing. The hotel is the cheapest in this area. Just across the street from the gulf beach you find this hotel looking a little outdated. It is kept perfectly clean with housekeeping service everyday. The AC works fine, the shower and bath are good and the bathroom area is spacy. There is a fridge in the room, a coffee machine and a macro wave.
There is a guest laundry room and a small pool. There is not much shade in the pool area so it does get a little hot out there.
The staff is very friendly, real helpful and kind. Over the phone as in real life.
The breakfast is nice, nothing too fancy but there are waffles that you can cook yourself, there is a variety of breakfast cornflakes, juice, milk, coffee, toast and muffins.

We have stayed on the third floor and on the first floor and we do think that the first floor is a little more noisy. Guess that also depends on the time of year.

Going to the beach is of course a short walk but you have to cross a bizzy street which makes that a little harder. They do rent beach chairs and parasols on the beach.

All in all a great stay for little money. If you can do without the fancy hotel things and enjoy the good and clean basics this is a perfect place for you to stay.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple