“Completely sub-par” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #14 of 29 Hotels in Fort Walton Beach
New Orleans
“Completely sub-par”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2009

Wow, after scanning these reviews, I feel as though I must have stayed at a different place from those who are giving this "hotel" 5 stars. First, let me say, I am not a hotel snob. My husband and I are in our mid-20's and have stayed at our fair share of Holiday Inn/middle-of-the-road places. This is my first time feeling strongly enough about a place to write a review. We stayed here 1 night for a friend's destination wedding, and I'm SO relieved we didn't have to stay any longer. This place was not nearly as nice as any average hotel. First, the hallways were open-air and were wet, dank and dingy. Upon entering the room, we were blasted with a suffocating cigarette smoke stench. The room was so incredibly humid that the floors were soaked through. I literally had to wear flip-flops to keep my feet from getting wet. After a few hours of being in the room, the clothes in my suitcase were wet from humidity. I'm from the south, so I definitely know when humidity is bad. And this was BAD. This room needed a dehumidifier in the worst way.
At night (until after 1AM), doors slammed constantly and it sounded like guys were shouting to each other from different floors.
We didn't come on this trip for the beach since we were only here 1 night, but as a frequent beach goer, I wouldn't say this hotel has the best location. It is across a very busy highway from the beach. It would be adequate for someone who expects to make a tromp to the beach and wants to be in walking distance. Personally, I think beach-front location is key to a great beach trip, so I'd advise spending the extra money and staying right on the sand. I would have been very disappointed in the location if we had come for a beach vacation.
There are 2 good things I will say about this place: 1-The rooms were adequately clean--no issues with sheets or bathroom. 2-The continental breakfast was decent and my husband said the coffee was good. But do you really go to the beach for good coffee?

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Thank foodloverinN.O.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Destin1180
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2009

i am a loyal customer of the Hilton hotels and was referred to this hotel as the Hampton Inn was sold out...at first i must admit i did not know what to expect for my 3 night stay.
My experience at check in was pleasant when i got to the room i was suprised it smelt fresh and was amazingly clean infact the room had all the amenities as any Hampton has. The following morning i went to see the breakfast and it had a very good variety a staff member also made fresh waffles for me. i dont get that at the Hampton...overall my experience at this hotel was very good. i would recomend this hotel to anyone visiting the area. The service is excellent...

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2009

We have stayed in the Emerald Inn now for several times for our stay with family and for vacationing. The hotel is the cheapest in this area. Just across the street from the gulf beach you find this hotel looking a little outdated. It is kept perfectly clean with housekeeping service everyday. The AC works fine, the shower and bath are good and the bathroom area is spacy. There is a fridge in the room, a coffee machine and a macro wave.
There is a guest laundry room and a small pool. There is not much shade in the pool area so it does get a little hot out there.
The staff is very friendly, real helpful and kind. Over the phone as in real life.
The breakfast is nice, nothing too fancy but there are waffles that you can cook yourself, there is a variety of breakfast cornflakes, juice, milk, coffee, toast and muffins.

We have stayed on the third floor and on the first floor and we do think that the first floor is a little more noisy. Guess that also depends on the time of year.

Going to the beach is of course a short walk but you have to cross a bizzy street which makes that a little harder. They do rent beach chairs and parasols on the beach.

All in all a great stay for little money. If you can do without the fancy hotel things and enjoy the good and clean basics this is a perfect place for you to stay.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Petra L
Philadelphia area
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2009

We had to come to Ft. Walton Beach for a wedding and this was the cheapest hotel/motel in the area, and once I got there I could see why. This place is a tiny,
run-down motel and the only one I could see that wasn't on the side of the highway where the beach is. Getting to the beach was a chore, waiting to cross a dangerous highway and walking several blocks. The "lobby" consists of a few chairs, a table and a coffee pot - it's smaller than a doctor's office waiting room and very dark. The room was depressing, tiny, and smelled musty and smokey although we made it clear we wanted a smoke-free room. The pool is tiny and is right alongside the highway, and the "fitness center" is exactly what the picture shows - just two machines. There is a tiny hot tub too, and they do have a laundry room and a big parking lot. The staff was slow (check in took about 25 minutes), which was the last thing we needed late at night after traveling all day. If you're going to Ft. Walton Beach, I'd strongly recommend spending a few extra dollars and staying across the street at one of the larger hotel chains.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Scottsburg
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2009

Emerald coast inn far surpassed our expectations. This was Spring Break, the staff was outstanding, breakfast great,(there was a staff member making the homeade waffles each day for us) the location good. You could walk to the beach but due to the amount of things were took to the beach with us we chose to drive, it is across the highway, but a very short walk. The boardwalk is across the street, we chose to drive 5 minutes down to the next public beach area which is nextdoor to teh visitor center. Clean restrooms area, and nice picnic pavillions, and soft drink machines, also lifeguards and options for beach chair rentals. This was a mother/daughter trip--and i can't say enough positive things about this hotel. We felt completely safe, the area and parking lot well lit. The ;pool and pool area very clean-pool is close to the highway and a bit noisy, but nothing intolerable. I booked this on Expedia for 69.99 per night--so worth it and will reccomend this to others and will also stay here again.Was perfect for what we needed it for--to spend days at the beach, shopping and dining in the evenings. Be sure to eat at the HogsBreath Saloon and also to to Sandestin outlet mall. Very family oriented area--beaches not crowded and that was Spring Break.

• Stayed March 2009
midwest
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2009

Absolutely worst hotel experience I've ever had. Constant racket and door slammings. Teenagers and partiers trolling the hallways. Dirty sheets. Yes, that's right. I checked in, dropped my belongings in the room and went to dinner. By the time I came back, the hallways had been populated by people drinking, packs of teeneagers, and some circus people. I decided I would have to take sleep meds to get through the night, but when I pulled back the covers, there it was. Yikes! The girl at the desk refused to refund me. I asked to talk to the owner/manager; she said he wasn't available. Then he called my room only to tell me refunds are only given in the first 30 minutes. He said his name was Bobby Patel, but sounded like a hoodlum, or maybe a weasel. I was stunned. Also wifi didn't work.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2008

My family and I had come to Fort Walton to visit other family. The hotel was great, the continental breakfast was way more then we expected it to be. We ended up hanging out at the hotel more than we had planned. The pool area was great to have my family come over and hang out in. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants a nice relaxing vactaion!!!

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
      Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)