“Great place for everyone”
Review of Okaloosa Island

Okaloosa Island
Book In Advance
More Info
$31.74*
and up
Maximum Magic Dinner Theater Featuring Noah and Heather Wells
Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

Okaloosa Island had a lot to offer families and couples. There many accesses to the beach, many shops, and many restaurants. There is also a board walk with restaurants and shops and its located next to the Gulfarium. There are many hotels, rental properties and a campground neaby. Okaloosa Island is located between Destin and Navarre which are great towns as well.

2  Thank Cory B

Reviewed June 30, 2013

There is so much to see; the wharf, the pier, the beach, take in the local atmosphere and visit the Destin Harbor Walk Village just over the bridge. We spent an entire day here and came back for a half-day visit, as well.

2  Thank Rustycnrh
Reviewed June 30, 2013

We just returned from a week at Destin West Beach and Bay Resort and we had a blast. We staid on the beach side and had a great view of the pool and ocean. It was just myself and my girlfriend and the resort was mostly families which we preferred. Main area of Destin is only a 10 minute drive away. The pool area was great and never too crowded and the beach was the same. There was plenty of things to do for kids. Every night you would see families going up and down the beach with flash lights hunting for crabs. There was a lazy river on the bayside for kids, and the fishing peer was great as well for photographs. The sand was white and soft and the weather was near perfect everyday. Two things we did that I loved was renting a pontoon boat and hitting crab island and cruising the bay. You have to watch your timing on this one because it can be a party area but the week we went June 22nd - 29th it wasn't and was well worth the money. The water is crystal clear and waste deep or lower (I'm 6'2) with soft white sand. Little crabs for kids to find and we even seen some wild Dolphins in the distant water playing around.

The bad: The pool area closed down at 11pm and It would have been nice to have some adult time at the pool, also we were bummed there were no swim up bars. We had access to the Ramada next door which had a swim up bar, but we didn't like their pool area. The #1 worst thing about our trip was humans. I would get up at 5am everyday to shoot photographs as I'm a photographer on the side and I was horrified by the amount of trash that people would leave behind daily on the beaches. Most would never see it because they would come out and clean the beaches early in the morning but it just blew my mind that people had such little respect for mother nature and our planet. I spent a lot of time walking the beaches picking up trash. Please if you visit the beach clean up after yourself and teach your children the importance of keep out planet beautiful.

8  Thank gathomas
Reviewed June 30, 2013

We loved Okaloosa Island! It is beautiful and busy...but not too busy. It's close enough to Destin to enjoy more of the activities they have to offer while not being nearly as busy. Definitely family friendly. Plan to return!

1  Thank BeachLife29
Reviewed June 29, 2013

Sand was beautiful and white. Water was green & like pea-soup that was hard to swim in and enjoy (June 2013). Ft Walton beach was not as family friendly as expected. Not a lot to do with young children except a couple of expensive "arcades" and a dolphin cruise. There is a waterpark, but why spend so much to take a vacation at a beach just to spend more for a waterpark that I can do any other time. Not one mini putt-putt game. Something of a must have for my family. Seemed Ft Walton Beach was more of a fishing hole than a family beach. A trolley of some sort is desperately needed for parking lot (city-built) to harbor village (an attraction 1/2 mile away) in Destin. A trolley to and from FW & Destin would have been great. Need more kid and family things to do. Cruising for dolphins is a MUST that was worth doing!!! Would not recommend shelling. Save your money and buy the seashells by the seashore.

4  Thank Wiskerfam