“Nice Family Trip” 4 of 5 stars

Destin West Beach and Bay Resort
Somonauk, Illinois
“Nice Family Trip”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

We stayed on the Gulf Side in 611 and really liked the condo. There were a few small things- an old cookie under the hamper, dirt in the corners, dusty shelves, and a balcony door that never locked (even after having maintenance "fix" it)- but overall not too much to complain about. The unit had king size beds in both bedrooms, so that was a plus for us. They took care to make the unit feel very homey and welcoming. The pool was nice and kept very clean. It was a nice view at night with the color changing lights and the ocean in the background. My daughter loved the beach and splash park at the Ramada. It was nice to be able to use that. It didn't have your typical "resort" feel- it was more like being in an apartment complex. Having to purchase our own toilet paper, and wash our towels helped enhance that feeling. The lazy river was also great. The location was nice too and had a lot of options for dining and entertainment near by. We would definitely go back here. It was a good family place.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Amanda R
DestinWestVacations, Manager at Destin West Beach and Bay Resort, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
We’ve had some technical issues with our Trip Advisor page, and Destin West Vacations sincerely apologizes to all of the travelers who have posted reviews and have not been responded to. Your reviews mean a lot to us, and we are working on posting a response to every single reviewer. Destin West Vacations is under new management and we look forward to the future with our Trip Advisor family and guests.

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns. We sincerely appreciate feedback like yours as it helps us identify improvement opportunities. We are so glad that you and your family enjoyed
Gulfside 611! I apologize for the housekeeping issues you experienced during your stay. I've forwarded your concerns along to our Director of Housekeeping,

Thank you so much for reviewing Destin West Beach and Bay Resort, managed professionally by Destin West Vacations. We look forward to seeing you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
McCalla, AL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

I've been staying at Destin West for several years, and in this particular unit (Sandpiper L05) several times. We loved it when we first stayed there in 2004 or so, but the facility has gone steadily downhill since that time. Just this past weekend (October 4-6, 2013), the room was filthy. There was a thick layer of dirt on the ceiling fans, and the floor and shower grout was clearly nasty. NOTHING has been updated since we first stayed here, and the ice dispenser in the fridge is about to rust completely out. I agree with another person that the toilets do not seem to flush well at all, which did not used to be the case. I left a message for the manager our fist morning there, and I also mentioned my concerns to the "lazy river Nazi" the same day, but nothing was ever taken care of. Also, the dial on the washing machine was stripped out, and the dishwasher did not work. I stayed in one of the penthouses two years ago, and had several problems with it. My friends stayed in Osprey PH02, only to find the air conditioner had leaked everywhere, and there was a bucket of nasty water under it. Having stayed at Destin West several times, I've come to find that there are several owners and management companies for the different units, and there seems to be a lot of conflict and politics. I love the lazy river, but I will not go back to Destin West.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Michael M

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns. We sincerely appreciate feedback like yours as it helps us identify improvement opportunities. We're so sorry that as a repeat guest you have noticed a decline in our quality with regard to unit condition. Each unit is individually owned, and each building does have it's own association. However, Destin West Vacations manages 150+ units here at the Resort, and our goal is the giving the best possible experience to our guests. Experiences like yours are unacceptable. I've shared your feedback with staff at our manager's meeting, and I want you to know that we take your concerns very seriously.

Houston, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

We stayed in the Sandpiper bldg, L-02 which had its own garage. This was a wonderful location as we had our own private patio on the first floor that lead directly out to the pool. The kids loved the lazy river and although the walk to the gulf side was a litte longer than expected the beaches were beautiful. We would definitely consider staying again.

Room Tip: first floor units have a walkout directly to the pool area as well as a private balcony with a bbq a...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank michaeledwards7

Kauai, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

We just spent a week here in Pelican 604. This was a one bedroom with a bunkroom and two baths on the bay side overlooking the lazy river. We couldn't have been happier with this unit and location. Callan Edick from ResortQuest went above and beyond to ensure that we had a great stay. Everything was very clean and worked properly. The king size bed in the master was very comfortable. We enjoyed the pools and lazy river very much and our grandson loved the splash park next door at the Ramada which was included as a part of staying here. It was just a short walk across the bridge to get to the beach but we used the pool area more so it was nice being on that side. We know that all the condos can vary from unit to unit but we couldn't have been any more pleased with this one. I would highly recommend booking through Callan, she was awesome!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars

We're glad you and your family enjoyed your stay. Thank you so much for reviewing Destin West Beach and Bay Resort, managed professionally by Destin West Vacations. We look forward to seeing you again!
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Our disposal didn't work, the back walls, windows and curtains were covered in mold, the front a/c was broken, the handle to the 2nd tub was broken and the front patio had badly rusted furniture on it. We looked past all that until water started seeping through the master bedroom floor. We called Buz Sunday night and left a message. To make a long and miserable story short, the water wasn't dried up until Friday afternoon! Buz didn't care about the problem, put in almost no effort to fix it even though it was a safety hazard and we were literally sloshing through water to get in and out of our bedroom. He was more than rude and unprofessional when we would call about things that were broken. Eventually I contacted the actual owners who were extremely upset about our situation and the fact that Buz never even let them know that their property was flooding. After all of this, we left the condo in perfect condition expecting to get our $250 deposit back. Now Buz is making up ridiculous lies, blaming us for breaking the already broken couch and accusing us of flipping all the breakers off. He is RUDE and inconsiderate and hung up on my husband when he asked about our refund. The facility is nice, but unfortunately, because of Buz and his properties, we will NEVER come back :(

• Stayed July 2013
8 Thank Oilfieldwife2mac

I'm unable to tell from your review which unit you stayed in. I don't know if Mr. Embry is local property manager, owner or friend of owner, etc, but it doesn't seem like you've stayed through us specifically. This Trip Advisor page is owned by Destin West Vacations, we are the onsite management company a the Resort. I'm sorry you had a poor experience renting privately and welcome you to give us a try.

Baton Rouge, Louisiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

Arrived in Fort Walton at 5 pm - check in is listed between 4-6 pm but unfortunately my room was not even ready until after 7:30 pm. Asked to speak to a manager, none seemed to be be available on site. Get into my room and after waiting 2 1/2 hours, we were shocked that our room was DIRTY as in NOT CLEAN AT ALL. NO TOWELS IN UNIT, DIRTY SHEETS AND FILTHY FLOORS Returned to the front desk, housekeeping was gone for the day, they were unwilling to move us into another unit or come up and clean this unit, we were forced to stay in a dirty unit.They called and spoke to the manager and we were told all we can do is refund your money and let you leave. Stated I wanted to speak to the rental manager, I personally called and left several voice mails on her "emergency" "after hours phone" Went to try to get the kids in bed and the bed was made up with stained and dirty sheets. Went to the front desk again, they had nothing to give me, the front desk person went out somewhere to "find" sheets and towels for our unit. Asked for cleaning supplies as well and again to have a manager call me.
Next day was Sunday, went to the front desk, explained how unacceptable the room was and the fact we had to spend the night in a dirty unit, of course, no manager onsite, called the rental manger and left yet another message and no response. Tried to make the best of it and spent some time in the lazy river area, in the hot tub, spoke to someone who said they were an owner of a condo, explained the problems we were having and the lack of response from manager, Courtney. The owner told me that this was common that she did not return calls to owners either and was advised by an owner- that we need to call HER supervisor in order to get anything done. I am completely unhappy and will be disputing the charges to my credit card, perhaps then I MIGHT get a call from the manager ( but I doubt it) However, when I did contact Joe Guidry he assured me it would be taken care of ASAP, we stayed the 4 nights and guess what -NONE of the issues were EVER addressed other the by the front desk trying to help me with towels and sheets and cleaning supplies. Still NO return call from the manager to date. I am terribly disappointed in the LACK of concern from the RENTAL MANAGER Courtney Weeks!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Dana D

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns. We sincerely appreciate feedback like yours as it helps us identify improvement opportunities. We are so sorry about the housekeeping issues and the poor service you received from the Rental Manager during your stay. This type of service is unacceptable, and I'm glad to advise that the manager you were referring to is no longer with the company. In fact there have been a few key staffing changes and all for the better. I have shared your housekeeping issues with the Director of Housekeeping. Our goal is to ensure these types of things never interrupt our guest's vacations.
Saint Augustine, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

This was my 2nd stay at DW. We stayed for Spring Break last year and really enjoyed a clean room and well kept buildings, pools, beach etc...This year was a different story. Our 1bedroom plus bunk room looked very nice as we walked in but it didn't take long to see that it had not been cleaned well at all. The bunk beds had sand all over the filthy comforters and when those were pulled off, there were filthy sheets underneath. I had to strip both beds and wash them before my 5 and 7 year old could sleep, not what I wanted to do my first night there. There were food crumbs on the floor beneath the counter/bar area and tables. There was hair/dirt/dust behind every door in all the corners, it was disgusting! I literally had to clean the whole place myself before my family felt comfortable enough to relax. For $2100 a week I would expect an immaculate place!! We had friends 3 doors down and their unit was in worse shape than ours, my friend literally cried as she tried to clean the unit herself. The pools were nice but definitely looking worn, especially the lazy river, since my stay last year. The beach was VERY crowded and with all the rain they have had this summer, the water was full of seaweed and jellyfish. We still had fun because it is family vacation after all but will rethink staying at the DW again.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Lisa B

Based on your review, we're unable to tell if you rented your unit through us, Destin West Vacations. However, we sincerely apologize for the housekeeping issues you experienced during your stay. Our housekeeping department is under a new manager, and reviews like yours have been mentioned during staff meetings. Our goal is to ensure that our guest's vacations are not interrupted by issues like these. We're so sorry for any inconvenience you experienced.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fort Walton Beach
Holiday Inn Resort Fort Walton Beach
Holiday Inn Resort Fort Walton B...
#2 of 31 in Fort Walton Beach
4.5 of 5 stars 420 reviews
BEST WESTERN Ft. Walton Beachfront
BEST WESTERN Ft. Walton Beachfro...
#1 of 31 in Fort Walton Beach
4.5 of 5 stars 1,072 reviews
Four Points by Sheraton Destin- Ft Walton Beach
Four Points by Sheraton Destin- ...
#6 of 31 in Fort Walton Beach
4.0 of 5 stars 859 reviews
No photo provided
Waterscape Condominiums
Waterscape Condominiums
#2 of 15 in Fort Walton Beach
4.5 of 5 stars 325 reviews
Wyndham Garden Fort Walton Beach Destin
Wyndham Garden Fort Walton Beach...
#7 of 31 in Fort Walton Beach
4.0 of 5 stars 1,366 reviews

Been to Destin West Beach and Bay Resort? Share your experiences!