“AWESOME!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #10 of 29 Hotels in Fort Walton Beach
New Market, Alabama
“AWESOME!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

I reserved a room online for my husband and I for this past weekend. I had never stayed here before, so I didn't know about rooms, courtyards, docks, etc..
When we arrived the desk clerks were friendly and prompt even allowed an early check-in, but when we pulled around to the room, we were instantly disheartened.. Our room was on the right-hand side 2nd floor and extremely plain as my husband described. I was so upset, I didn't even walk in.
I walked back to the front desk expecting to be stuck with this room and simply told the clerk that we were a little disheartened with our room. I explained that I was kind of hoping for something near the pool or dock or something special..
To my surprise, I was asked if I would take a single room near the courtyard. She even offered me the key before I had returned the key to the other room. The price was the same. When I booked online, I didn't even have the option off a single room.
This room was nice.. Room 110.. Clean, kitchenette, doors to both the parking lot and the courtyard, ashtrays outside both doors, ice and vending machines just outside our door.
These people were SO KIND..A few of us had stayed in the pool a little late on one of the nights and the security guard came around to remind us but was nice enough to allow us to go warm up in the hot tub while he finished his rounds.
We had an awesome weekend, even though it rained on us the entire trip..
I have always preferred to stay in Destin, but after this experience, WE WILL DEFINITELY BE BACK!!
WONDERFUL SERVICE!!!

Room Tip: Call before you book online..
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank 85Cindy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Miflin, Alabama, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

This isn't a top of the line resort, but it is super clean and well managed. The property is central to everything and it's a short drive to the beach (about 5 minutes in traffic). The grounds are exceptionally maintained. Manicured everything. It's right on the sound (water that is more like a bay) and we fished some from the dock. Wireless was fast and strong. We loved this little place and enjoyed great service. All of our questions were answered with courtesy.

Room Tip: Waterfront rooms are awesome, but you've got to book early.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Alan P
Boynton Beach, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2013

We did a timeshare exchange and ended up here only because the more popular areas were all booked up. We arrived after a long 9hr drive only to be told that we did not have a reservation on record-after much confusion and a manager coming in from home to resolve the matter our reservation was found (no fault of the hotel-it was the third party timeshare exchange that messed up). We reserved a marina view room, not at all what we ended up with.
The place is very dated and more geared toward the retirees, with shuffle board on site(lol). The room (213) had an old smell with holes in the sofas and the bedroom AC only worked on the fan mode when set to 60degrees (not that it actually got that cold). We are owners of festiva and this is not remotely close to the accommodations they offer at their "resorts". There is no housekeeping service, you are told to go and exchange your linens and towels between certain times. You must "sign out" your tea kettle and blender if you desire one-if you are lucky enough to have a room with a kitchenette. This is definitely a no frills kind of place, not much to do in the area besides the beach and the pier. A quiet getaway for the most part-a few shady characters hanging around some of the rooms they rent as "non timeshare rooms".
I must add, despite the other review...I found the counter staff to be friendly but a little overwhelmed. You must remember you are in a different part of FL and the people are "very country" so maybe people are taken back by the accent and dialect taking it a rudeness. They are doing their best and following the rules of the "resort".

Room Tip: choose a marina view-nice large patio facing the water
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Naylsbyd
Fort Walton Beach, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2013

I recently attempted to rent a room here for myself and my small children. We live in the area but were hoping to have a bit of a staycation. I called and spoke with the desk clerk to make my arrangements and was told that they do not rent to locals. I explained that I had my children with me. I was not having a party or anything like that and was just trying to have a good time with my kids. She re-explained that they will not and don't rent to locals. I am an area restaurant manager and have sent business to them countless times. I also have brought lunch for their staff several times. In this area, it is important to embrace the locals because tourist season is short. I found the entire situation very disrespectful.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Jennifer O
Fulton, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here the week of the 3rd-10th for a wedding in Destin. Very good location & the rooms were very clean & nice. Pool area was great & the grill area was nice. A very nice place & affordable. They had an ice cream social one day! Good game room too!

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Ferrie C
Hayden, AL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2013

At check-in our hotel Clerk was VERY NASTY, and if I had not already paid for the reservations would have went elsewhere. We arrived at 3:30 p.m. only to be told it would be at least an hour wait before our room was ready? I was like our check in time is suppose to be 4:00, and the clerk said we don't guarantee that. So I asked what time was checkout time and she said 10am. When I questioned why, if checkout was at 10, were the people in our room just moving, I was told rudely told to come back later, our room might be ready. When I went back about an hour later to get the room key the clerk said here. I said could you please tell us where to go to, and she responded,"You know where your room is". and then snatched a map from the counter and said park here and go here.Since our check in, our stay has been good. Housekeeping is SUPER SWEET, Maintenance is not only Cute, but sweet as well. In all honestly the trip would have gotten an EXCELLENT rating if it were not for the Witchy lady at the front desk. She definitely does now know what Customer Service is!!!

Room Tip: Our room was terrific, we had a bay front State room that Slept 6. Hide a way couch was not very com...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank JenniferPike77
Kingsland, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

We had not been to Marina Bay Resort since the hurrican that did alot of damage to the resort. The remodling that they did is very nice. We take a 21ft. boat and tie up to the pier and park the trailer on the resort grounds which is a plus! We put the boat in at a ramp not far from the resort. Love the pool and grounds. They now do a ice cream social for a great price and have a grilled hot dog lunch day for a great price also. We get an Admiral suite which gives us two lani's, full kitchen, 2 baths and plenty of room. Our son and daughter inlaw had a King room which just gives you a king bed and tv and alot of noise next door if someone has the adjoining room. Best place for us and has everything we need. Nothing better then having coffee on the lani and watching the intercoastal way traffic go by in front of you.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family