“A Dash of Floribbean”

Tommy Mattonie's Coastal Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating
Description: Tommy Mattonie's has been awarded Trip Advisor Certificates of Excellence for 2015, 2016 and 2017. TM's is a local family owned restaurant that specializes in: upscale breakfast, New Orleans style po-boys, Floribbean tacos, soups, salads and daily lunch specials. This is a favorite spot for local diners. Looking for a fresh home made meal? Look here as we cook everything from scratch and only use fresh local seafood.
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I've eaten here a handful of times and, being a creature of habit, have only had the Fort Shrimp Po-boy. Despite living in a coastal town it can be downright discouraging trying to find a decent (or any) shrimp po-boys and I was elated to discover them here. They also serve oyster (another favorite) po-boys. My boyfriend was with me on this visit and he had the pulled pork. He's careful not to rave over anything but he did say that it was good.

If I can ever get out of my po-boy rut, I plan to try the fish tacos. Maybe I'll order those next time and get the shrimp po-boy to-go.

1  Thank Pnerissa

Reviewed April 10, 2013

To celebrate a good report from my doctor after surgery my daughter suggested we go to Tommie Mattonie's, a new restaurant open for lunch that also specializes in catering. My daughter is an afficionado of po-boys and said they make great big sandwiches, which turns out is true. The weather was pleasing, so when we parked in the back of the restaurant we went through a pleasant, shaded garden into the restaurant. I had hoped we could sit outside, but there were no tables.

The restaurant menu contains many sandwiches and salads with colorful names of local figures and places like Billy Bowlegs. I ordered a Cuban sandwich new and not on the menu recommended by our server. It was meat and cheese and homemade pickles heated with one of those contraptions that squishes the bread. I think the meat was the pulled pork that is in many of their offerings including spring rolls we tried. It, and my daughter's sandwich came with mounds and mounds of crisp shredded lettuce. The meat is apparently marinaded in lime juice and was tender.

The thing is the presentation of almost everything was colorless and felt gray. By the same token my sandwich was bland, as were the home made limp fries I did not order. I don't know about the black beans I ordered and paid for the waitress never brought. The Heinz ketchup went well with everything, though.

When I paid the check I asked for the beans. Daughter gave me her lettuce. I toke the leftovers home and concocted a great salad.

To my mind the food was like I would eat for lunch at home using leftovers to tide me over, except I zipped up my leftover sandwich with my favorite barbecue sauce. The concept of making special, local, regional food is very nice for the tourists. I hope the rest of the jaunty named food available makes others enjoy their meal in the calm, pleasant atmosphere.

I wish the restaurant all the best and look forward to hearing about the sandwich evolution at Tommie Mattonie's Po-Boys & Floribbean Tacos. It would be the perfect place for Parrot Heads.