WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #20 of 28 Hotels in Fort Walton Beach
New Orleans, Louisiana
“Huge rooms.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2014 via mobile

When we checked in the check in process was good. Courtney at the front desk was very nice and helpful. We were traveling with stand up paddle boards so I was concerned with the size of the room- should we need to bring them in. She assured me our room would be a large room and she was right! Probably one of the largest rooms we have ever stayed in. Our room was "newly remodeled" which I guess meant new floors? Not sure but everything else looked not so new. There was a large duct taped place in the floor- which I thought was strange. The furniture is old in the room and our bedspread had some stains on it. Also the bathroom tub was very old it seemed. The first day our room was not cleaned and we had to go down and ask for more towels - which is obviously a big deal because they only gave us one! Haha. The second morning someone was obviously locked in their room next door which resulted in men banging loud crowbars, hammers, etc on the door. I was glad I wasn't the one locked in my room, though, so remained positive about that. We were approached by some very sketchy men in the parking lot- not sure if they were guests or just hanging out- but it did feel a little strange. All this being said, for the price and a last minute trip it was really OK. Just ask for a "remodeled" room if you go here because if this is a remodeled room I can't imagine what the non remodeled rooms are like!

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank HJCro

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Pensacola, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2014

This hotel has been going through a renovation. We knew that when we booked our room but the issues we had can not all be contributed to the renovation. To begin with we called this hotel on a Wednesday night to reserve a room for the very next night. When we arrived on Thursday afternoon it took a long time to check in because they couldn't find our reservation. Fortunately my husband had the confirmation # on him. Once they pulled our reservation up using the number they had us down as a no show because we were "supposed to check in the previous night."
We got a room overlooking the water. When we unlocked the door, the weather stripping around the door wasn't secured and started swinging back and forth. Our shower leaked. There is no closet - just a closetmaid type of rack hanging up but ours had fallen down on one side so it was swinging and un-usable. We hung our few clothes on the shower rod and upon returning to our room a couple hours later the rod had fallen down and our clothes were laying in the bottom of the shower soak and wet from the dripping showerhead. There is no carpet in the hallways or rooms and the floor is COLD! Our thermostat was set on 52 degrees when we entered the room and we could never get it to adjust even when we moved it to 80. We finally turned the entire thing off, although after sitting out at the picnic tables on the beach area for a couple of hours with friends, we came back to our room to find that condensation was all over the floor and it was wet and slippery. I slipped but caught myself before hitting the floor.
The final straw was the morning shower. We were here on a business trip. I woke up at 3:30 am and started the water in the shower. I let it run 20 minutes and it never got hot. My husband woke up at 4:00 am to shower. He had a lukewarm shower to begin with and then it turned scalding hot - he couldn't get it adjusted cooler. I will not ever stay at this hotel again. Too many bad things going on.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
FortWaltonQuality, General Manager at Roya Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
Thank you for your comments and I agree with the issues that you have stated. The hotel is a newly purchased franchise with all intentions to invest over $1 Million and is doing so. Unfortunately, those individuals with us over the past couple of weeks are experiencing some of
items that need some tweeking to get them fixed or to the level guests will appreciate. We are not able to close the hotel totally and start and complete all aspects of the renovation. With that said, we will continue to invite guests and let them experience the property as we address the concerns of all guests. The hotel will continue to listen and address concerns of all guests.
Attalla
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2014 via mobile

I read the reviews before staying here & the reviews scared me to death! Well this was one of the only places to stay during 4th of July weekend.. So I booked this place! They are renovating.. & we stayed on the side where the the rooms were very nice!! We had a nice stay!

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Kx4l0ve
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2014

Let me begin by saying that I have stayed in foreign country hostels that were better than this hotel. Yes, garbage is piled extremely high on the side of the hotel blocking the entrance on the side. The room had a sickening odor, and the bed was as hard as a rock. The front desk clerk was rude and seemed bothered by having to check us in. The room was dirty and there was not a maid in site. The hotel's free breakfast was a joke. To add insult to injury I was double billed for the hotel stay. Asked to speak to a manager and was told that there was not one. I had to call choice hotel corporate and launch a formal complaint with them. The corporate supervisor called them with me on the line and witnessed the lady talking rudely to me. Needless to say, this hotel is not up to the usual choice hotel standards!!! Run, don't walk, and get very far from this hotel. It was so bad, that I may never go to Fort Walton again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Fort Walton Beach
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2014

remodeling needs to take place. garbage should not be left out by the entrance side door.
tub needed to be clean on the outside of tub. doors need to be updated unpleasant older in the hotel and bedrooms. Towels needed to be updated they were very worn, used. the pictures online of the hotel are very deceiving.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Grenada, Mississippi, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2014

Was one of the worst hotel stays ever!!! And I stay in hotels 40 weeks out of a year. First off it id nasty and way to pricey for out of date rooms.. Had major sewage problems. I was afraid to walk on carpet it looked like a mass killing had taken place in the room. It flooded one night and the next morning I went to the parking lot to find my car under water and flooding fresh turds, used condoms, used tampons and toilet paper all over the parking lot Told the manger about it and was informed it was not has problem it was the cities. I then informed him it was his problem he could at least have someone out there with a broom are shovel to clean up the mess I had to wade thru the mess ever time I went out to my car. The manger was so rude. He had a personanilty of a paper cup. The only reason I had to stay there for week was because no one else had any rooms left..

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
FortWaltonQuality, General Manager at Roya Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, May 19, 2014
I can only apologize for the situation based on the renovations and unexpected terential rain storm the hotel experienced during your stay. As a waterfront property and subject to the prevailing weather, the exorbitant amount of water overloaded the city sewage system much to our dismay. As expressed by the City, "nothing they could do to remedy the overflow". The hotel did hose off and clean the parking area and drive thru immediately during and thru the next day due to the continued rainwater accumulation from the storm. This property was a newly purchased franchise and is supplying over $1 million renovate the property to a long overdue presence in the Fort Walton Beach community.
Raleigh, North Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2014

Warning ...........Hotel Under Renovation

****Do not go to this location if you expect to be able to get any sleep

People renovating this hotel were allowed by Management and Owners to start work at 6:45AM on Saturday and Sunday. Banging Loudly, Playing Boombox music, laying tiles, dropping bags of mortar.

Refrigerator in my room not working.
No forks to eat Complimentary Breakfast!!

Total Lack of Respect and Consideration for the Customer.

These People even asked if we wanted to upgrade for a Valentines Day Special $10 for champagne??? Is this a Romantic Place to Stay... I Do Not think So!!

Called Customer Service and all they do is take down your comments. No Quality Guarantees at Quality Inn!!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
FortWaltonQuality, General Manager at Roya Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
Renovation work has been completed in the main building with completion of our second building within the next couple of weeks. I apologize to all guests who have experienced the hotel over this period. Please note as a newly purchased franchise the owners are putting over $1 million into this property. Our waterfront with boat doc access has just received a ton of white sand thus creating our own beach front. Restaurant and Bar overlooking the waterfront is in the early stages of realization. Thank you for your comments and I look forward to sharing the "new"
hotel with all coming into the emerald coast community.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fort Walton Beach
Marina Bay Resort
#12 of 28 in Fort Walton Beach
Baymont Inn & Suites Fort Walton Beach Mary Esther
La Quinta Inn & Suites Fort Walton Beach
La Quinta Inn & Suites Fort Walt...
#3 of 28 in Fort Walton Beach
WoodSpring Suites Fort Walton Beach
WoodSpring Suites Fort Walton Be...
#15 of 28 in Fort Walton Beach

Been to Roya Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!