“Great stay, even during construction!”

Hampton Inn Ft. Walton Beach
Ranked #5 of 29 Hotels in Fort Walton Beach
Reviewed December 17, 2012

Despite the banging and drilling going on during the week due to the remodeling, my stay was great. The staff was always so friendly and willing to help out in anyway possible (especially Kevin, he's a great front desk guy!!) The breakfasts were always well appreciated, although without too much variety (just the standard Hampton breakfast fare as anywhere else.) The only complaint I had was that on the occasions housekeeping refreshed my room, no vacuuming was performed on my carpets and sand had been near the door for my entire two week stay. However, this was just a minor detail. Overall, I had a pleasant stay and will be back!

• Stayed: December 2012

Reviewed December 7, 2012

We were traveling home from Natchez, MS to our home in Florida and needed to spend the night in the Ft. Walton area. We love Hampton Inns, so chose this one at random. It is undergoing major renovations in the reception and other areas, but everything was fine. The greetings, service, breakfast were as normal. The rooms always cozy and comfy. Even the construction workers were hospitable and friendly.

Room Tip: Rooms closest to the beach have full or partial oceanviews. Very nice even for native coastal Florid...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 26, 2012

Stayed here on a 2 night business trip. During my stay I experienced a friendly front desk staff willing to assist as needed, clean modern rooms that have been upgraded, comfortable beds, free breakfast in the morning until 10AM and in room Wi-Fi (free for Gold HHonors members).

Unfortunately, this is the extent of the pro's - and are heavily outweighed by the con's or negative experience I had staying here. I'm actually writing this review in my room because it's mid to late afternoon and I tried to take a nap, but couldn't due to all the hammering, drilling and talking that's going on down on the 1st floor during construction. Currently, no beach or pool rooms are available during construction - so don't ask because I did usually get upgraded rooms as a Gold member.

As many reviewers have noted below, this property is under construction. The lobby is a complete disaster and don't be surprised if you get drywall dust on you when entering or exiting the hotel. In fact, just to get to your room you have to walk out of the lobby though an outside corridor I have termed as the "smokers haven" where all the construction workers smoke. Nothing like having to be forced to suck in a bunch of disgusting second hand smoke every time you walk out to your car.

During my first night here I did not get to bed until 11PM. When I went to adjust the thermostat is my newly renovated room (which is very nice), it didn't work. Being to tired to even complain, I put on a few extra blankets on the bed and fell asleep. Well, last night it dipped into the 30's outside and I froze. I complained to the front desk and they moved me to a new room but it took two trips to the front desk since my key would not work.

When I got to the new room in the morning I took a shower, only to find out the hot water does not getting any warmer mildly past luke warm at the hottest setting. After getting ready for the day I left and returned a few hr later from a meeting. Upon returning to my room I was locked out again, so I complained and after two more trips downstairs (its quite a walk), they sent someone up with a master key and it did not work - so they replaced the entire lock.

Because I did not have heat the first night, had to change rooms, was locked out 3 times from my room and really did not have hot water, the front desk did give me a free night which was nice. I do give them credit for this, but between the and the "smokers haven" and all of the construction I would never recommend anyone stay here until all the construction is over, there are just too many nice places here where you could avoid all this hassle.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank ntwkstudent
Hamptonfwb, General Manager at Hampton Inn Ft. Walton Beach, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2012

We really appreciate your continuous loyalty and apologize that we did not offer you the outstanding service you expect and deserve. I’m terribly sorry for the disconcerting experience you encountered with the room locks and we anticipate a speedy resolution to fixing the electronic lock mechanism. Our engineers are looking into the HVAC system and finicky hot water heater. We will also be investigating alternative areas where visitors can go if they wish to smoke. We appreciate your patience during our construction revamp. We hope you will reconsider staying with us to see what our Hamptonality is all about. Please let me know if there is anything else I can assist with.

Reviewed November 20, 2012 via mobile

Let me start by saying we stayed here because the hotel we usually stay at was full. First it seems it was an older hotel, the doors were on the outside.Now I will let a few things go because they were under renovation;they were supposed to stop construction at 5:00 pm, however it was way
Later and we were put in a room right down the hall where the construction was going on.Later we started smelling smoke like someone was smoking in the room,but when we told the front desk they said the only thing they could do was spray febreeze
Which they never did.We also found a pair of dirty underwear in a small hole in the wall.
Now a good thing was that Amber did not charge us for the room.Thank you Amber if not for you we would never stay at Hampton Inn ever again.

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank Mladuew
Hamptonfwb, General Manager at Hampton Inn Ft. Walton Beach, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2012

First of all, thank you for choosing to stay with us when we know how many options you have. I am truly sorry that you had an undesirable experience and I’m working with our team to ensure that these errors do not occur again. We are currently undergoing an extensive renovation and looking into additional ways to communicate construction hours. We will also work with our contractors regarding the after-hour productions so that it does not affect our guests’ comfort and safety. I’ve spoken with our team about the undesirable smell and we’re currently freshening all of our guest rooms. Thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention so we can continue to improve and enhance our guest experience.

Reviewed November 1, 2012

We stayed in one of the rooms on the beach and could not have been happier with the hotel and the staff. We normally stay in a condo and this trip we just dropped in without reservations and was lucky enough to get one of the two remaining rooms which was right on the beach. The breakfast was good and every member of the hotel staff I spoke with was very polite and helpful. I would stay again without hesitation.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank RonH2145
Reviewed October 26, 2012

It is hard to really rate this stay because they were in the middle of construction and I am sure things are not usually this way. The lobby was closed and the breakfast was served in a room. The rooms were large and comfortable and will be beautiful when the renovation is complete. Location is excellent. The staff went out of their way to make the experience as good as it could be under the circumstances. Look forward to going back when it is done.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Overall experience was good. Ongoing construction at the hotel dropped the hotel by one rating. Beach location outside the hotel was nice and peaceful. Access to Destin and Fort Walton was good and advantageous.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Hamptonfwb, General Manager at Hampton Inn Ft. Walton Beach, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2012

Thank you for choosing our hotel for your stay. We are very sorry for the inconvenience as we work towards improving our guest rooms and property look. Anticipated completion date is Nov 15 for our lobby and Dec 15 for all of the guest rooms. Please let us know if you have additional comments or suggestions you would like to share. We are all about Satisfaction Guaranteed.