“Don't drive away when you first see the place”
Review of Helen Back Cafe

Helen Back Cafe
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night
Reviewed January 12, 2013

Looks can be deceiving. The ouside looks pretty iffy. But the inside is much better. The outside dining area is right on the water with boat slips. I assume that local boaters can pull up and party here. There are several bars and lots of seating. I ordered a pizza to go because we had heard that they have the best pizza in town. The pizza was very good, super crust. This is a place worth trying out. Would be a great place to watch a football game or 2. if you are staying on the Island you should check this place out.

Reviewed December 31, 2012

While visiting Ft. Walton, we made friends with a few locals. They eat at Helen Backs at least once a week, and there are plenty of reasons for that tradition. It has a great, EXTREMELY laid back atmosphere. At my most recent visit, I commented that my 10 year old would have found the fellow diners to be a little "rough." There were flat screens all over. It was Sunday afternoon and there was a large football viewing crowd, so you can imagine...
However, everyone is REALLY nice and the service is great. The menu is not very broad, but the food is excellent for the price point. We always get the large "Everything" pizza. At $20, we found it to be really fresh but not gourmet...something I don't care to have in a pizza to be honest. It fed four adults three slices each...not too bad. The beer prices were also reasonable.
In the end, we thought it seemed like a local Buffalo Wild Wings.
Last caveat...When you pull up to Helen Backs, you will want to drive away...it doesn't look like much, but give it a try.

Reviewed December 28, 2012

This place is my favorite place to eat when we are at our condo, which is conveniently located across the street. Why is that so convenient? Because the happy hour prices are amazing, drinks are STRONG and the pizza is just fabulous! We leave so full and so "happy" that walking back to our condo is the best idea. We've had the nachos, some of the sandwiches and of course the pizza. Oh that pizza- my oh my how I love that pizza. Service is always a bit slow but then again the place is always busy so it's expected. Another reviewer made a not so kind comment about the way the server was dressed and I say...don't judge a book by its cover. Yes, the ladies are not covered up from head to toe but it's a sports bar atmosphere so let's keep that in perspective. Besides every server we've ever had has been nothing but nice and fun.
I've seen many families, young adults, older adults, military folks, every age and social bracket while dining here and never have I felt uncomfortable or felt uncomfortable for another family. It's simply a matter of common sense, don't take your 5 year old to eat here at 10 or 11 at night...go at 6 or 7. And yes, the beer is good and cold and they keep them coming and the Jack and cokes....well, order a second coke because yes, they are THAT strong. Oh and if the smoke in the bar bothers you go outside on the deck by the bay, it's wonderful out there!

Reviewed December 15, 2012

So far, the best helen back in at the airport. Their staff is friendly and pizza is amazing. A little over priced, but thats in general in this entire area!

Reviewed December 6, 2012

Ok, were talking about Helen Back. You gotta go once. It can beer, I mean, it can be a great place. It does have character, a good sports bar, a bit sporty in the late night, but over all a good bar. It is also on the water. A local favoirte and miltiary hang out. Pizza has lost it's shine, but still decent, especially after a pitcher or more. If you haven't been there, you gotta go. Thumbs up.