We drove 12 hours to spend spring break in the fort Walton/destin area with our twin 6year olds and our yellow lab. Yes this hotel is dog friendly (no fee) which is why we chose it in the first place and the price was right for the length of the stay. We are still here as I type this review.
The room: nice and clean, moderate decor, and the beds are comfy. I have always like la Quinta hotels for the quality of the room and stay and this was no different. Three pillows on each bed, nice fluffy pillow top bed. Our room came with a fridge and microwave and two queen beds. We were originally supposed to be on the first floor but I called back three times and just said I don't care where they put us as long as we could check in early and that we had two beds, and they really did accommodate us and made it possible. After driving for 12 hours straight I did not want to have to drive around town for another 4-5 hours to wait and check in so I really do appreciate that they did that for me and got us checked in , in less that 10 minutes. And honestly I am glad I didn't end up on the first floor because it was very busy, especially in the early A.M. During breakfast. The lobby was full and the lunch area was filled with other guests and people talking in the halls and walking back and forth.
The hotel: like I said, faily new. Right off the highway so you can't miss it. Though the road is kind of busy. Decor is nice and updated. Breakfast was pretty good for the price. Quite. Bit of variety. Today was eggs, sausage, biscuits and gravy with a variety of cereals, bagels, boiled eggs, yogurt and waffles you can make yourself with juice, coffee or tea, or all three if you please. But with it being spring break and all, it was definitely early bird catches the worm. I didn't not arrive until around 9;30 but there was still enough of everything for us to have some or everything ;)
The area: .....this is the nitty gritty. The hotel is very close to beach access and close to the harbor boardwalk. And I don't feel like I missed out on anything by not having a beach front hotel, it saved me about $300 for my 6 days stay, if you don't mind a few red lights then it might be for you.
The hotel itself is fairly new and is really nice, but it is on the main highway to destin and emerald parkway so after about noon the roads got very busy and traffic started to back up, and there are some not so great drivers here in Florida. It is in what looks like the "down town" area of fort Walton, there are a lot of little unique shops and diners which is cool and there are students I am guessing, jogging in groups or walking to near by stores or eateries which is something I don't really see back at home so I am assuming the area is not too bad. About 6 minutes west there is a mall, and about 15-25 minutes east there is Henderson state park and the silver sands outlet and destin commons. There are ALOT of grocery stores. I swear probably a publix, target or Walmart every 2-5 miles if even that. So it is convenient if you need to run out and grab something really fast.
The one thing that I did not notice until my husband pointed it out...the hotel is literally, right in front of, like the pool is across the street from a homeless shelter so there were quite a few homeless citizens walking along the streets, sitting around hanging out, and sleeping outside of the homeless shelter. I honestly had no idea until we went out of the parking lot the back way to catch the red light and we saw them all. I didn't feel that I was in any immediate danger, they do have a few cameras outside of the hotel, but if you had to walk your dog in the walking area at night, it's basically an empty field with a make shift fence. I think they are in the process of turning it in to another parking lot. It's just something to think about. Besides that I can't really complain. The hotel is clean which is what matters and we aren't here most of the day anyway only to come rest before our next adventure.
All that said, would I return? Yes I would. They are very good to their guests and try their best to make them comfortable.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The La Quinta Inn & Suites, Fort Walton Beach awarded 2010 Inn Of The Year and recently named a 2011 Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence award winner, is located less than one mile away from beautiful white sandy beaches.The La Quinta Inn & Suites is near plenty of fun activities nearby including water sports, boating, waterparks, fishing excursions shopping outlets and golfing.All of our comfortable rooma are Non-smoking and come with amenities like free wi-fi internet access, olush pillow top mattresses, microwave, refrigerator, 32" flat screen TV's. There are rooms available with a partial view of the Bay.Wake up to a free newspaper and Free Bright Side Breakfast in a large breakfast area, each morning. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia and LaQuinta so you can book your La Quinta Inn & Suites Fort Walton Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- La Quinta Inn And Suites Fort Walton Beach
- La Quinta Inn & Suites Fort Walton Beach Hotel Fort Walton Beach