“Disappointed in disappointing reviews.”
Review of Bay Cafe

Bay Cafe
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

We had a great meal at Bay Cafe and am surprised at reviews suggesting mediocrity. The service was great, food was great. I had the Grouper Wellington. Very good! We may be back this week, although we have several favorites in Destin and Ft. Walton Beach. I saw several things on the menu I would like to try. We will definitely be back next trip if we don't make it again this week.

Reviewed August 15, 2013

Found Bay Cafe on TripAdvisor. Location was very nice, just under the bridge between Ft. Walton Beach and the Okaloosa Island on 98. Service was prompt and waiter was nice. I decided to have the sautéed scallops which turned out to be a mistake. The scallops were supposed to be pan seared in an Asian type sauce, but it actually tasted like watered down BBQ sauce. Just to check my taste buds, I had my son check the flavor without first telling him my thoughts. He had the same exact conclusion. All dishes were accompanied by green beans and a potato cake. The green beans were cooked appropriately but had little flavor. The potato cake was terrible, no flavor, and it tasted like it might have been made from potato flakes.

1  Thank Howdydooty
Reviewed August 8, 2013

As we travel, we have found we like to indulge in the "local-fare", if you will. We went on the search, thanks to Tripadvisor and its rating system, we were lead to the Bay Café. Instantly, our first impression was of confusion and the overwhelming need to just leave. We were very much unsure of what we had just found, but it certainly did not seem to compare with what we had read. Gratefully we went in, and was seated outside on the patio, which I highly recommend. The staff was very polite and seated very fast. the view was amazing and right away, there was just a feel that is hard to explain, maybe anticipation?
Our server was impressive in his ability to keep my entire family satisfied with their many menu requests. He was very fluent with the menu and a great help in getting everyone the entrée they wanted. Our drinks never got below 2/3 of the glass, and the bread served before the meal was quite filling. As our entrée's hit the table, one had to be impressed with the presentation, but the best was certainly getting to enjoy and share. I am sure everyone at our table tried a portion from each plate. Every bite was incredible and so flavorful.
I will close as noting the price is moderately high, but,,, if you believe you get what you pay for. This will be a true experience that I am sure will have you coming back! I highly recommend this dining experience to anyone, any group, or like me,, any family.

1  Thank medic803
Reviewed August 8, 2013 via mobile

The fish served is all local. The prices are the same, if not less, than the tourist restaurants in Destin, but the food is far superior. Last night, I had the special, Swordfish with a tangy spicy sauce. The portion was so large, we split it, and it was amazing. Best fish I have ever had. Perfectly cooked, and the sides were great too!

They have a cute interior, but the porch is amazing. You have a great view of the bay, and it's secluded feeling. I will say it is a bit difficult to get to, but with GPS, that's not an excuse.

The only con is their lack of a good beer menu, but their wine selection is great.

This place is a must every time we return.

Reviewed August 4, 2013

I took my husband here for lunch, for his xx birthday. We wanted something different, not touristy, with delicious taste treats. We read the Trip Advisor reviews and this restaurant sounded great. And it was. The service was perfect...not overbearing. The waitress explained the specials. We had to try the gazpacho soup, French onion soup, and the sautéed blue crab claws. All awesome. Fresh baked rolls, too. The waitress suggested splitting the "slightly" blackened redfish main course since it was on the large size. This was perfect, plenty for 2. We shared the French Silk pie for desert which really set off the whole meal. Prices were fair for the portion sizes. 2 thumbs up with a return visit planned!