“Charged my account..Costing me Thousands of dollars”

Waterscape Condominiums
Reviewed July 7, 2009

I made a reservation to stay at Waterscape in several months before my June 2009 vacation. I booked using Resortquest. I had to cancel my plans. I was told I would lose hundreds of dollars if I did not reschedule another trip. However because they did not know the rate for 2010 I could not book at the time I canceled. They said It would be fine for me to call back when I had an idea of when I could travel in 2010 and I could apply my deposit. All was fine. I happened to check my checking account on 7-7 and noticed that Waterscape hit my account for over $2000.00. I called Resortquest. At first they said it was my falt for not canceling, then they found where I had indeed canceled. Then they called Waterscape. Waterscape claimed that I had infact checked in and taken my vacation and they could remember me because I was rude and complained about my view and stormed out after being rude. I explained that I had not left my home state of Texas in months so they made a mistake. They refused to believe me. They refuse to supply document to support that I signed into their facility. They claimed that the documents were confidential. However, my checking account is in a total mess as you can imagine. I asked to speak to a manager. She again claimed that I had checked into the hotel and there was nothing that could be done. I told her they needed to find the documents and call me back. They never did call back. After several more phone calls and a trip to my bank to dispute the charges I spoke to someone who said they would get me the documents. Finally a desk clerk called to say that she was sorry. Someone did check in that day. The lady ended up storming out so they just charged MY account. Without any signature or authorization. I have stayed at this resort. I thought at the time it was run by children. The hot tub had only been open for a week when we stayed there and it was already being closed because the teenagers had broken the buttons and the staff didn't seem to care. The lifegaurds flirt with the guests. It is a mess. If the front desk is so careless with accounts, can you feel safe leaving your room with your valuable in there?

• Stayed: July 2009
8  Thank julie l
There are newer reviews for Waterscape Condominiums

Reviewed July 5, 2009

We had a great time overall! The rooms were nice and the layout convenient. We stayed in 517A with views of ocean except I would have rather been up closer but thats all we could get. I think next time I would try the pool/ocean view. The beds were extremely hard and uncomfortable. The phone didn't work but we didn't really need them anyway. The ice maker was not working in our fridge and the hotel does not have an ice maker. So, we had to buy ice which wasn't a huge deal and they did say the would put a work order in for both but nobody ever came. The pool and lazy river was really nice. Even though we would go to the pool at 8am each morning, we could rarely find any open chairs/loungers. We did see security pulling towels where it was obvious that guests were just trying to come down early with their towels and going back to rooms. The beach was beautiful minus the ton of seaweed in the water. Overall though a great time and would go back!

2  Thank tnt96
Reviewed July 4, 2009

The facility was GREAT, the pools, the lazy river, outstanding. Spotlessly clean. Beach service guys were VERY courteous and helpful. The condos themselves are nice, but smaller than the ones at Destin West. Front desk seemed hesitant to give us soap, there were only two bars in our condo for two bathrooms between two showers and three sinks. Unreponsive to repeated requests to take care of annoying car alarm that went off REPEATEDLY every night in the parking garage. But, I recommend it strongly for family vacations, it was overpriced and the $87 fee just to make a reservation is an absolute crock. Also, the "Passport to fun" that they pitch so much like they are doing a big favor by giving it to you is just a coupon book, nothing more. Do the pools, decks, and lazy river, go out to the fantastic beach, and you will not be disappointed. Will most likely return asap

Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank ms2112
Reviewed June 29, 2009

We went to waterscape June 17th - 24th, stayed in A505. It was really nice for our daughter who is 2 1/2 yrs old, she really enjoyed it! There are tons of kids at the resort and lots of kid friendly water toys, etc. Our condo faced the outside toward the pier and not toward the pool. The condo was nice, carpets were a bit stained (but what do you expect with the amt of traffic), and it was decorated like pictures. We had an AC problem and called the first nite there, they checked it 2 times and said our vents were not opened. The next day we called again as the unit would not cool below 73 (in mid day makes it a little hot with sun coming thru balcony windows). Another guy came and tested the vents and saw there was a problem. They called an AC company to come and look at it, which they fixed and all was well.

The beach was a haul due to all the vacationers, and there was lots of seedweed in the water until late afternoon. We brought a tent and left it on the beach each nite to secure our spot, which worked well. Bring water toys for the kids to play with in the pools as most kids have them and yours will be begging for you to buy some.

They offer arts/crafts but for older children 5 + I believe and you have to drop them off like 10am-2pm (or something like that). It's not the kind where the parent stays and watches the child.

Overall it was a nice resort with a family atmosphere!

1  Thank tleray
Reviewed June 18, 2009

We just returned from a 4 night stay at Waterscape, June 14-19. Checking in was no problem as we arrived at around 4 pm. Grounds, pools, lounge areas all were extremely nice. We stayed in A624, top floor, which is toward the very back of the resort close to the kiddie pool. Glad we were facing the inside pool areas.
The whole resort is set up kind of strange if you ask me. It is shaped as a very long and narrow U, and our condo seemed far from the beach and even the pool area mostly because of the building design. Our balcony was probably a hundred yards or more from the beach. Getting from the condo to the pools/beach involved walking down a long, dim hallway, getting into an elevator, walking down another long hallway, then going out a stairwell/pool exit. The beach was another long walk through a maze of lounge chairs, and walkways.
We went with our 6 and 15 year old daughters. I think the resort is perfect for families with very young children (2-4 years old). There are lots of really nice areas for children that age. Kids were everywhere! I don't think it is all that great for those with older kids. Well, not for what this place charges anyway. We could have stayed beachfront for an extra night at Water's Edge (we stayed there in 2007) for the price that we paid at Waterscape.
The condo itself had a great floorplan, and I was amazed at the size of the balcony. But no beach view made it a waste of space. The kitchen didn't seem to have some necessary items, and my biggest problem-- the beds were hard and very uncomfortable. Our king bed was terribly uncomfortable. When I shell out 350 bucks a night, I expect the beds to be better.
Before you book, realize you may not have that breathtaking beach view, and access to the pools/beach may not be the most convenient. Location is great, beach is nice, but in my opinion, it's too expensive and too far from the beach compared to other places we've been to in the area.

5  Thank sighwest
Reviewed June 15, 2009

We stayed at Waterscape the week of 6/6-13 in unit B501 that we rented fropm owner on VRBO. The location of the unit was good as faced West and very close to beach, which did mean longer walk to parking garage. Unit was well decorated and we had 4 adults and 4 kids (6-11) and fit just right. The resortnad pools are great for kids, especially younger ones. There is a snack hut by the pool with food from Fudpuckers across the street. Disney movies on Tuesday and Fridays by the pool. Several nice Weber grills. Fitness room is great as looks over pool and has new machines. Crab Trap on pier was good as I had blackened surf and surf. Fudpuckers is Ok and can be crowded. Scoreboards is fine, close and never overly busy, but does not have any atmosphere or view, other than Gentlemen's club next door. Speaking of which, there are a few "clubs" and liquor store accross street, so area is not as upscale as Destin where you have Ruth's Chris accross the street. The beach and water were good and having 2 chairs and umbrella was nice. However, the beach nazi will take your chair and move your stuff, and give to someone else, if you leave for more than 45 minutes.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank 1,990
Reviewed June 7, 2009

We recently stayed at waterscape (unit A508) and had a great time. I stayed here with my wife and 2 year old son. The condo was very well decorated, and nice. We had a terrific view and there was plenty of room in the condo. The bathrooms were very spacious and very clean. The other nice thing about this condo is the door they added to the bunkroom. It really blocks out all of the noise and our son could sleep without any noises waking him up. The only complaint about the condo was the matresses were very uncomfortable. The amenities are terrific, especially for kids. The kids splash pool was great for our 2 year old. Also, the beach is very large and was not too crowded.

I will warn about two things before you book a condo at Waterscape. First, if you stay in a condo closer to the beach, the walk from the parking garage is pretty far. However, we did not mind it too much. Second, they have a movie by the pool every Tues and Fri. So if you have condo overlooking the pool area, it is very loud. We were on the 5th floor and it was difficult to watch tv in our condo (our son was already in bed and we didn't want to watch the disney movie they were showing).

I will probably stay here again, but may try another condo since the matresses were so uncomfortable.

3  Thank ry75atlanta