“Clean and functional”

Red Roof Inn Ft. Pierce
Ranked #13 of 24 Hotels in Fort Pierce
Reviewed August 19, 2013

We stayed here for three nights. For the price, it's a good stay. The rooms were clean and the pool was awesome. It wasn't in the nicest part of town, but we felt safe staying there. For anyone mostly looking for a place to crash a night and take a shower, this is a good choice. Don't expect anything luxury. The breakfast left more a lot to be desired, but there was food, as promised. It was about a ten minute drive from the major marinas and the downtown area. A good stay for the price.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Chelsea G

Reviewed June 28, 2013

We picked this hotel due the fact that the manager claimed it was a very quiet place. The room was clean, wifi service was great!! The pool was awesome. We asked for the quietest room possible. We value our sleep!! The first night was great, nice and quiet. The next 6 nights of our stay however, not so quiet. A construction crew was staying in various rooms throughout the hotel. Every night from about 7:00 to midnight all you hear was doors slamming, people laughing and yelling, also people would stand and smoke right outside your room door. I understand about having a good time but PLEASE have some respect for other quests. No offer of compensation was made, when the front desk was notified. Nor was any action taken to correct the noise issue.

Room Tip: select a top floor room, ask not to be placed near any construction crews.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank FloridaBearsFan77
Reviewed June 17, 2013

The Rooms were nice for the price considering the location. The pool was clean and appeared to be well maintained. The staff was friendly and helpful with information and directions. They were late opening for "breakfast" and the juice was nasty.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 13, 2013

This is a small mom-and-pop motel with absoutely nothing fancy but it is clean and I felt safe staying there alone. For the budget-conscious, it is a great deal. They did have trouble getting the room key to work so before you hike up stairs with luggage, be sure to check the key first.

Don't bother with their complimentary "breakfast" because it consisted of slices of white bread, cereal in a strange dispenser, and a few of those tiny boxed powdered donuts you pick up at a convenience store.

If you go when it's hot outside, know that the air conditioners are the unit type and will not be turned on until you get to the room and turn it on. It will be about 500 degrees inside so know that it will take some time to cool down.

Again, though, for the price it was a decent place to stay if you're just looking for place to hang your head.

Room Tip: Be sure to request a room in the back as the motel is located on a busy street and I heard road nois...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank LJH123
Reviewed April 21, 2012

Nice hotel not too far from the beach and a comfortable distance away from downtown. Hema at the front desk was very pleasant and accommodating. Rooms were larger than typical Econo lodges and the grounds were nicely maintained. Breakfast selection was limited, but overall a pretty pleasant stay.

Stayed: May 2011
Reviewed April 17, 2012

I'm not one to stay in Econo Lodge's, but a recent last-minute trip to spend Easter Sunday with relatives who live in a smaller town than I'm used to left me with little choice. My mother made reservations at the cheapest brand name hotel she could find and that was the Econo Lodge at Fort Pierce.

The other reviews on Trip Advisor weren't too bad for this location (3236 South US Highway 1, Fort Pierce, FL 34982), so she booked the room. At first glance it looked like every other hotel room - two double beds, TV, dresser, place to hang your clothes (which in our room was without hangers), microwave and small fridge.

The bathroom in our first room was horrid. It had black mold in several places in the shower, someone had purchased a replacement toilet seat that was too small and the toilet BARELY worked. You needed to hold the flusher arm down until the water had flushed all the way through for anything to go down the toilet. The shower curtain rod looked like it was ready to fall down. In fact, the shower curtain would never stay up at both ends of the rod where it belonged, because the minute you grazed against it the shower curtain slid down to the middle of the rod (after we moved to our second room, I found this was due to the lack of magnets in the shower curtain). Consequently, there was a lake covering half the bathroom when I was finished. Also the fact it was a cheap light fabric shower curtain didn't help as the water went right through it.

The sheets in our first room were horrible. They were thin, worn out and full of pills (those little things you shave off with a pill machine). My blanket was full of holes where someone had burned through it with a cigarette butt several times. The pillows were barely functional - once you lay your head on them, it seemed like they disappeared into nothing. A couple of the electrical outlets were hanging out of the wall like someone tried to work on them and never put them back.

After Easter dinner, we came back to our room only to hear a loud, frequent beeping. We realized the battery in the smoke alarm was dying. We called the front desk to ask someone to take care of it and were told they didn't have any batteries to replace it with. Also, apparently they have to log every time they change a smoke alarm battery and I guess the guy wasn't up to it (don't know, my mother talked to them) so he moved us to a different room.

The second room was much nicer. The toilet seat fit the toilet, the sink was longer and had more room (which turned the shower/toilet room into a closet you could barely move in), the shower curtain rod was sturdier and had magnets to hold it in place (no flood), the sheets and pillows were nicer, the air conditioning unit had more controls, all the electric sockets were screwed into the wall and there were NO cigarette holes in my blanket. HOWEVER, there was a huge dead palmetto bug feet up under the sink in our room AND what is equivalent to having a chain on your front door had the piece with the ball that keeps people from getting into your room broken off (to accommodate the fact that it's other component had insufficient room to screw it in without causing it to catch on the ball any time the door was opened). On top of that, all you had to do was wiggle the door and it came right open - no deadbolt security. Unlike our first room, someone had yet to shove paper towels into the peep holes, which are actually more the size for someone to stand a video camera in front of and look directly into the room - they were HUGE peepholes!). The tub looked as if it hadn't been cleaned at all, but after calling housekeeping to clean what I thought were hairs all over the bottom of the tub, it appeared they were just scratches that looked like pet or body hair (my bad).

My mom said the continental breakfast was incredibly limited. They only had apple and cranberry juice - no orange, only sugary cereals and I think toast. If none of that appeals to you, be sure to bring something you can eat for breakfast.

Two important things to know about this hotel, even with all the bad things I pointed out: 1) There were NO bed bugs in the rooms we rented. My mom has a special magnifying glass to check for them and both rooms were free of them. 2) The people were very nice. I asked for something to help bolster up the pillows so I could sleep and the lady at the desk gave me towels to use as apparently that was the only thing left. When you're complaining about your hotel room to the staff, you can always appreciate that they are willing to try and help you. Keep in mind the tools they have to do so are minimal.

My mother found something on the web that indicated a $49/night rate. When she called to make the reservation based on that, she was told there was no such discount. She pointed out that it was online and she really didn't have to stay at that hotel if it was going to be more expensive. Luckily, they did not appear to have many rooms booked and the hotel made a compromise on the nightly rate. Clearly there is room for compromise if the hotel has a lot of rooms available, so you might want to remember that if you intend to stay at this hotel. Just remember, you DEFINITELY get what you pay for at this place.

If you absolutely have to stay at the cheapest hotel, this one is passible if you can deal with all the bathrooms that DO have mold, all the broken things/locks and the crappy sheets. If you think you might want to rent a room here some night, I suggest bringing your own pillows, extra blankets, towels/paper towels and toilet paper. Also some suction cup hooks and clips for the bathroom area would be helpful along with your own hangers. Our second room had hangers in them, but you can't be sure whether your room will or not.

Each room had problems with one side of the curtains that didn't sit right and allowed people to see into your room (especially at night). I recommend positioning the curtain in a way that will cover the gaps and shoving the floor lamp up against one end while using a chair on the other (or bring a roll of duct tape with you to tape them in place). I also found the curtains covered the edges better if you folded over the hem on the edges before pushing something up against them to keep them in place (makes them sturdier).

If you want to be able to sleep soundly at night, remember to bring something to shove in the peep hole as soon as you get in the room and bring one of those metal door stoppers that go from the door handle down to the floor that keep people from being able to move the door once they have picked the lock. Although I don't recommend using one if you're the only person staying in the room - just ask for another room with a lock that works and pray they have other rooms available. If you are there alone and have something blocking the door, you'll be in trouble if you slip in the shower and the paramedics can't get in to assist.

There is free wi-fi, so the hotel is tech friendly - probably the best feature about this hotel.

Bottom line, if I had the money to pay for a better hotel room I would have. Unfortunately, this was a last minute trip and we had to make due with what we had. Staying there didn't kill us and if I was of college age I probably wouldn't have noticed all the things that annoyed me about this facility. At least the staff was kind and accommodating with what they DID have to offer. Sometimes that makes ALL the difference in the world.

Room Tip: There is no good tip as both rooms seemed to have their different faults. I suggest you determine w...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank SkyDancer59
Reviewed March 20, 2012

I needed a place to crash for the night and got a great price on a room. The room was clean. It had a mini fridge and microwave. Everything was basic, but clean and comfortable. Nothing fancy, but nice enough for one night. The breakfast in the morning was above average. The staff was very nice. Next time I travel this way I will stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
Suburban Extended Stay Hotel - Stuart
Clarion Inn
Clarion Inn
#9 of 11 in Stuart

Been to Red Roof Inn Ft. Pierce? Share your experiences!