We booked our stay at the Royal Inn after finding it listed for a resonable price online. I am a big fan of quaint, 'old school' Florida hotels; however, as other TripAdvisor members have noted, the pictures posted on the hotel website are not accurate representations of reality.
Let's start with the good points:
1. The hotel is in a great location on Hutchinsen Island. You can easily walk to the beach, local restaurants, and some really cool 'dive bars' such as The Jetty and Archies.
2. The hotel is reasonably priced, is unpretentious, and representative of 'old school Florida'.
3. The room had lots of space, along with a full-size kitchen that seemed to have been recently updated.
And now the bad:
1. The website pictures make it seem like the hotel is on the beach but it is NOT located on the beach. At best, it is across the street and a short walk to the beach. We even paid an extra fee for what was labled "an oceanview room". In reality, our room (#100) was actually located on the ground floor where we had a great view of the cars in the parking lot but absolutely no view of the ocean. Perhaps, the room should have been labled "ocean facing" to be more accurate.
2. The toilet and bathroom were dirty (i.e., hair and debris were visable on the toilet, sink, and shower). When we saw the state of the bathroom, we debated about leaving right then and there. Instead, we decided to inform the front desk staff of the situation, especially after we learned that refunds would not be provided. We informed the front desk staff who agreed to ask the cleaning staff to re-clean the barthoom. While we appreciated the fact that a meager effort was made to remedy the situation, the bottom line was that the bathroom and toilet were not clean (even after the second attempt at cleaning it).
3. The room furnishing and decor was extremely outdated. The couch looked like someting that could have been found at a garage sale. The curtains looked shabby, were not hung properly and actually looked like they were taped to the wall.
In summary, this is a classic case of "you get what you pay for". Travelers should beware of the photos posted on the hotel website are not an accurate representation of this hotel. With a few updates, this place has some potential; however, in it's current state I would not classify this hotel as "quaint" but instead as dirty and old.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Royal Inn Beach Hutchinson Island recently completed a full renovation in December 2015, which included a full gut renovation of the guestrooms and public area space, new guestroom, public area, pool and patio furniture throughout, a complete exterior refresh and the addition of a resort pool and sundeck featuring beach exit shower facilities and pool chaises. The hotel offers ocean view and sunset view guestrooms, all with private balconies except, with either a king or two double beds. The Royal Inn's room amenities include custom made handwoven rope rattan furniture, Keurig coffee makers, USB bedside ports, wood tile flooring throughout, stainless steel refrigerators and microwaves (full kitchens in suites), 32-inch flat HDTVs with 5 channels of HBO and free wireless high speed internet. Continental breakfast is offered daily. The hotel also has a business center and 24-hour guest laundry. The hotel also offers 700 square foot 2 bedroom apartment suites featuring new handwoven rope rattan furniure, Sealy Posturepedic pillow top double beds, a living area with dining table and sofa sleeper and a full-size kitchen with all cookware, dishware and utensils for those considering longer stays. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Priceline, getaroom.com, HostelWorld, Hotwire and TripOnline SA so you can book your Royal Inn Beach Hutchinson Island reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Royal Hotel Beach